Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 03:34 PM

19,722 posts, read 20,250,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I took the old man's post as a compliment.

You're so silly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 10:27 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
I always think that it is funny, and you will see it portrayed on TV and in movies, a dad will high five his son for getting with some hot chick, but will go after any guy that tries to get near his little princess.

To his own son: "Way to go son. I can see you are just like me when I was your age."

To his daughters Boy friend: "That is my little girl, my princess, the one thing that keeps me going, and I have no problem going to jail, again, if anything should ever happen to her."

Old 02-19-2011, 10:33 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
A lot of stupid and unrealistic things happen in movies and on TV. That kind of double-standard among siblings can cause a lot of dysfunction when the kids grow up.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:44 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
I remember this comment from youth my mom said about what guys do: "Choose em & use em" pertaining to what happens to girls. I rolled my eyes and said I guess I have to fight fire with fire. Dad cracked up.

I don't think we ever got the double standard in dating from my father. He just wanted us to find someone who was decent looking and made an ok living. After breakups he would always joke with us about the negative aspects of the ex. Mother on the other hand acted like every break up was some great tragedy.

I never really "dated around" and always had opposite gender friends or serious relationships and my brother was the same way.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:51 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Some earlier posters have cited this before in previous threads, but I'm going to try to put it in terms of a broader context, of why exactly this apparent opposite-gender attraction paradox exists, between males and females, b/c it genuinely has me stumped in terms of the basic logic

1. A lot of mothers tell their sons to "be nice" to girls, treat them respectfully, be gentlemantly, etc. -- and yet, before the mothers actually became mothers, they themselves would tend to be attracted to the stereotypical "bad boy", who exhibits almost none of the above qualities. So why do they want their sons to be kind, nice, respectful, etc., when they probably wanted anything but that, in their own love interests, perhaps even including their son's own father?

2. Many fathers who have daughters, genuinely love and care for them, and wish the very best in terms of their daughter's future romantic prospects (i.e., for them to have an honorable, decent, caring and successful guy). At the same time, *a lot* of fathers may want their "little girl" to stay innocent and virginal, for as long as absolutely possible, if not until marriage. What I don't get here, is that this is almost the exact opposite of what they themselves (the fathers) were likely doing, as young men -- when they would physically jump on any gal that said "yes" to them, up to and likely including their daughter's own mother. So while the fathers were allowed to "sow their wild oats", so to speak, they want to deny that same opportunity, to their daughter? I don't get it.

Why the double-speak here, on behalf of both genders?? I don't get it...it honestly seems really illogical, and even hypocritical, in a way...
It's not double speak. It's called learning from your mistakes. Unfortunately, our kids are very likely to make the same mistakes we did but, on the off chance that we can prevent a daughter from hooking up with the bad boy who will rip her heart out or from having sex too early and being used and discarded by some jerk, we keep trying. Yes, we want our sons to not be that jerk and we want our daugthers to avoid that jerk but it's not a double standard. It's because we remember the pain caused by said jerk when we were young.

This is no more double speak than a parent who dropped out of high school, who now regrets doing so, telling their child to stay in school!

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 02-19-2011 at 11:06 AM..

Old 02-19-2011, 01:31 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
This is no more double speak than a parent who dropped out of high school, who now regrets doing so, telling their child to stay in school!
Yes, good example!

Old 02-19-2011, 01:39 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,473,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Yes, good example!
I agree that's a good example. But if the kid wants to drop out, the parent is in no position to complain.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:43 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,473,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I always think that it is funny, and you will see it portrayed on TV and in movies, a dad will high five his son for getting with some hot chick, but will go after any guy that tries to get near his little princess.

To his own son: "Way to go son. I can see you are just like me when I was your age."

To his daughters Boy friend: "That is my little girl, my princess, the one thing that keeps me going, and I have no problem going to jail, again, if anything should ever happen to her."
I think this is an example of "someone else"

The dad doesn't care if his son uses a girl for sex, because the girl is "someone else's daughter" and "that's someone else's problem."

A lot of people don't care about stuff that doesn't affect them, so they don't care about what happens to someone else.

But I think that type of double standard is foolish. And the double standard is not just restricted to movies/television. Happens in real life too.

As one of my high school teachers said: we're all someone else

Old 02-19-2011, 04:28 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I agree that's a good example. But if the kid wants to drop out, the parent is in no position to complain.
Oh yes they are. When you know first hand how tough life can be because of a decision you made, you're in prime position to speak to someeone wanting to do the same thing.

Do you think that because I smoked when I was a teenager I have no right to tell my kids they shouldn't? I tell them how hard it is to quit and how much it costs and how it affects your health. I know, first hand, why you shouldn't smoke. Someone who dropped out of school knows first hand why you should stay in school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships