Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 05:57 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,167,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
I think most guys I know aren't really scared of girls. One thing I have actually figured out by going to more social event is that on some level I find girl frightening. In fact, I do seem react worse to them than potential gangster / criminals.

For example, one time I was walking through bad area of town and so criminal looking people, but I continued on my way without freaking out. Now another time I walked into meeting (at college) full of girls and I immediately got uncomfortable and left for the exit ASAP. Now I am actually not that bad off, I have heard of one guy passing out when 2 hot girls were talking him!

I am not exactly sure why I am this way. I guess girls won't kill, but ending up with wrong one can make me mireable for rest of my life?
Sounds like approach anxiety, which is basically a mixture of stage freight and fear of rejection.

Here's a whole website dedicated to overcoming it:
http://approachanxiety.com/

Something a little more mainstream:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...proach-anxiety

More:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5041810_beat...h-anxiety.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 06:58 AM

471 posts, read 1,046,028 times
Afraid of them? Well the phobia has to have started somewhere. Go back to the root cause and ask yourself if you are indeed afraid of women or afraid of repeating something.

As for winding up with the wrong person forever, well that's a personal choice to stay with the person for so long.

and the best way to beat a fear is to face it.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:48 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,905,024 times
Quote:
I think most guys I know aren't really scared of girls. One thing I have actually figured out by going to more social event is that on some level I find girl frightening. In fact, I do seem react worse to them than potential gangster / criminals.

For example, one time I was walking through bad area of town and so criminal looking people, but I continued on my way without freaking out. Now another time I walked into meeting (at college) full of girls and I immediately got uncomfortable and left for the exit ASAP. Now I am actually not that bad off, I have heard of one guy passing out when 2 hot girls were talking him!

I am not exactly sure why I am this way. I guess girls won't kill, but ending up with wrong one can make me mireable for rest of my life?
That's a smart way to be - trust your instincts.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:25 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,001,553 times
Quote:

Hmm...maybe it's because the gangster/criminal will/can only kill you once. Being with the "wrong" woman will slowly kill you on the inside for the rest of your life, lol! Not saying that women can't kill you once. They can.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:33 PM

675 posts, read 3,100,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bright_future View Post
I think it's mostly because these men that find women scary have been hurt socially in the past by people. So they aren't able to trust in themselves and thus are not confident in their actions.
For most of my time in school (through elementary - High School) I usually got made fun by most girls. In fact, I still remember in gym class we were doing co-ed dancing and one girl said something like "EEK, I don't want to touch you."

Anyhow, in College I girls stopped making fun of me, well at least in front of me. I actually know couple girls from work, they seem ok when I talk to them. But who the heck really knows what they are thinking behind my back?

Old 02-25-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
oh BROTHER!

I guess it has to be said--women are people too. We are not aliens. Why don't you try to get to know one or two?
I already know quite few girls/women, at least a dozen. Mainly mature women seem easy to get along with. I do talk to some of girls my age but it seems like they really aren't interested in talking to me at all.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
Hmm...maybe it's because the gangster/criminal will/can only kill you once. Being with the "wrong" woman will slowly kill you on the inside for the rest of your life, lol! Not saying that women can't kill you once. They can.
Here one way for me to see it. I would likely get support from society (police, law, etc) if a criminal harmed me. In fact, you can even arm yourself to protect against these criminals.

Now with girls, anything that goes wrong (like just approaching/talking/dating/sex/relationship) will be seen as my fault as a guy. I really can't think of any way of defending myself against girls either.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:42 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,935,332 times
Dude your fear has nothing to do with "fear of marrying the wrong person" these arent in people you know stop making excuses. Your scared of women because you have social anxiety. Your scared of being judged by women as you have low self esteem.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:08 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,501,984 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
It would only make you miserable for the rest of your life if you let it. Thankfully you have this thing called free will that lets you get out of a bad relationship.
I don't think bad relationships have anything to do with why guys find girls scary. I think the main reason we find girls scary is fear of rejection.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:16 PM

24,644 posts, read 38,756,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I don't think bad relationships have anything to do with why guys find girls scary. I think the main reason we find girls scary is fear of rejection.
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships