Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2011, 01:33 AM

3,738 posts, read 5,799,710 times

Advertisements

Fantastic thread! Everyone remember to give the OP rep points!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 07:32 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,262,459 times
Trying to keep this thread on track so as a reminder guessing who is gay and who isn't is not the purpose of this thread. If someone wants to participate and acknowledge they are gay that is their prerogative but it is not a requirement.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:06 AM

37,744 posts, read 46,207,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I don't mean this with any disrespect, but, it seems like some gay people's whole identities are tied to their sexuality.... IDK, I don't feel it's the same for straight people.... I don't know, perhaps it's the minority status of it all, but it just seems like some gays, everything about them is linked to their gayness, for lack of a a better term...

I don't harbor any ill will... just seems like an observation I have.... just look at some of the over-the-top gay guys and some lesbians just seem over-the-top as well.

Set me straight.....

No pun intended......
I tried to rep you on this. I completely agree. It's why Ellen DeGeneres's old show, which had been wildly successful, floundered immediately when she changed the format of the show to focus on her "lesbianess". I loved the show before...but she ruined it. I've always loved her, straight or gay makes no difference. But I have no interest in a show that centers every single scene about being gay. I feel the same way about gay/lesbians. Get over yourself and get on with life.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:45 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,310,535 times
ellen show: At the time I think it needed to be done

But yes it did make the show less funny/too serious. I guess we'll never know the percentage of people who stopped watching because she was gay vs the people who stopped watching because it got too serious.

Anyways Ellen seems like a very very sweet person. Her (new) show is extremely family friendly and there aren't a lot of (any?) other shows out there like that with gay people in them. Not that gay people can't be family friendly but as I've said 100 times, tv will only show them talking about fashion and having or talking about having tons of casual sex partners for some reason and it's really tiring, stupid and detrimental to the gay community, imo. I'm not a prude, I like talking about sex as much as the next dude (and I'm female ) but the stereotype is pretty played out imo. I like that Ellen shows that gay people aren't all like Q*eer Eye, they can be regular people-even be wholesome!

I also really respect Clinton from What Not To Wear. Yes, he talks about fashion, but he's also person who doesn't make everything about being gay and seems like a real person instead of a caricature.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:45 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,652,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
In general gay folks respect honesty and openness; since we had to be honest with ourselves at an early age....then coming out to family and friends...it's an ongoing process.

And some folks will take advantage of anyone and especially gays for various reasons.
I can see how that may happen. You know, I tell it like it is. That's probably hurt me in the past before. I still continue to stick to what I believe in and no one is getting to me permanently. Well, almost no one. I know a gal who is sure workin' on it! lol I think we can talk because you are 100% comfortable in who and what a gay man is and believe in yourself. I know and am 100% comfortable as being straight and who or what I am. NO ONE has ever confused me as being gay. Even you! I enjoy talking common interests with anyone. Cool Aerosmith stuff you have been playing lately BTW!

Old 02-26-2011, 05:12 PM

16,223 posts, read 25,713,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I tried to rep you on this. I completely agree. It's why Ellen DeGeneres's old show, which had been wildly successful, floundered immediately when she changed the format of the show to focus on her "lesbianess". I loved the show before...but she ruined it. I've always loved her, straight or gay makes no difference. But I have no interest in a show that centers every single scene about being gay. I feel the same way about gay/lesbians. Get over yourself and get on with life.

And...I tried to rep you on this, and couldn`t. .... AMEN!!

Old 02-26-2011, 07:53 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,569,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Fantastic thread! Everyone remember to give the OP rep points!

Well thankyou Gloria.....some posters are quick to bash and forget it takes guts to start a thread like this..

Old 02-26-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I give up...straight people center on their straightness every second of every day...you just don't think about it...but being outside the mainstream...I see it clearly...kettle meet black.....For instance...boyfriends...girlfriends.....husbands.. .wifes.......your lives are no different than ours. If you talk about yours that's OK...if we talk about ours...we are flaunting. Sounds hypocritical and sanctimonious to me. You zero in on "gayness"...ROFL...but forget you just now gave a load of "straightness" attitude....in your post..

Old 02-26-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsong64 View Post
ellen show: At the time I think it needed to be done

But yes it did make the show less funny/too serious. I guess we'll never know the percentage of people who stopped watching because she was gay vs the people who stopped watching because it got too serious.

Anyways Ellen seems like a very very sweet person. Her (new) show is extremely family friendly and there aren't a lot of (any?) other shows out there like that with gay people in them. Not that gay people can't be family friendly but as I've said 100 times, tv will only show them talking about fashion and having or talking about having tons of casual sex partners for some reason and it's really tiring, stupid and detrimental to the gay community, imo. I'm not a prude, I like talking about sex as much as the next dude (and I'm female ) but the stereotype is pretty played out imo. I like that Ellen shows that gay people aren't all like Q*eer Eye, they can be regular people-even be wholesome!

I also really respect Clinton from What Not To Wear. Yes, he talks about fashion, but he's also person who doesn't make everything about being gay and seems like a real person instead of a caricature.
I think the media stereotypes because that's the image of gay folks in most straight viewer's minds. But they do the same with straight folks too. Regular folks are too boring(in their view) so media shows more outlandish lifestyles of both straight and gay folks for the shock value and to heighten the entertainment experience. Probably showing my life or yours would bore most viewers...LOL...

Look at Desperate Housewives......I sure as heck hope that's not how "you" straight people really behave.....you must take it with a grain of salt. TV dramas etc..... show in one episode probably what regular people experience in half a lifetime and/or a thousand people's lives cobbled together over a few months. PS...I've never watched Ellen...though I guess I was supposed to..

Old 02-27-2011, 11:44 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,951,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I may have misconstrued your intent....when you get bombarded by negative posts......I tend to get defensive....most gay guys do.....because we get it daily on the media etc....and in our lives.

Some gay guys and gals can be as you describe...we are all different....just like straight people. I myself have not been to a bar in 20 plus years...LOGO TV is my main "outlet" for how young gay people think these days.

You have a point about gay males. Remember just because we are gay...we are still guys and we all know guys can be a bit sexual. Now imagine 2 guys "hooking up"......so generally we can be more sexual with less "hangups" etc......because guys seem able...in general...to seperate sex from love.....guys are always thinking about sex....it's a guy thing.....does not matter if they are straight or gay.

I agree that straight guys would hook up just like gay guys IF women were more like males. So I'm saying it's not so much gay behaviour as it is guy behaviour. I remember the locker rooms in High School and College...straight guys are as bad if not worse than gay guys when women are not around and they can brag etc...about their escapades.

And for what it's worth...the Castro scares me sometimes too....I understand what you mean....leather dudes and such but everyone is different and you're only seeing the most visible part of the gay community....which does not represent the whole....like thinking a Red Light district is how women and men behave in general....you must take it in the context that it represents..

Thank you for reconsidering my intent.

I don't know what to think about "guys" at this point . . . I find indiscriminate sex to be very "base." I don't want to get naked with people I do not even know and cannot fathom why anyone would.

Your point about the "hard" edge (for lack of better description) of The Castro makes a lot of sense.

I guess my sensibilities are very refined and I find crudeness of any kind a turn off . . . the crude factor is the turnoff, whether in people hooking up with complete strangers in bathrooms or whatever or the leather shops and overt leather scene in The Castro . . . just crude - and I guess as a woman I see the feminine in some gay men and so conclude that they don't have that crude edge but it is just not being shown to women, I guess . . . still not really clear, but thank you for trying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships