Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 12:20 PM

1,298 posts, read 2,238,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
Oh ! Give me a break folks ! she is 17 yrs old and probably sleeping with he BF at her moms house anyway. Her dad has a right to a life also , does she thing he is not allowed to have friends ?. And as to the house being her's ??, It will be her's if the dad happened to die but until then it is his to do as he wishes .

I've had alot of my "real-life" friends say this...I thought they were just being partial...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 12:24 PM

543 posts, read 999,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That's right. And if you, OP, think that any of this will change if you get married, it will NOT!
It can and it should change because kids will not be around forever!!!

Old 02-28-2011, 12:25 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,149 times
One thing about being old, you do have a lot of life experiences. Some good, some bad. I know of one family that made a marriage last for many years. One parent had 4 boys the other parent treated them like they were their biological kids and was also allowed to correct them when they needed it. Most people don't want someone else correcting their kids, and won't back them up when they do. so you have a problem. To this day my wife is a complete blonde when it comes to her kids, and her kids show it. She has no backbone when it comes to her kids. I made up my mind 25 years ago they were her problem, not mine, and would never be my problem.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:27 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,091,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by round4 View Post
Hi everyone...First let me say I am desperate for advice. I have been dating this guy for almost 5 months, and however soon it maybe, I have fallen in love with him, we have yet to express these feelings outloud, but, we both know they are there, and in no hurry to marry etc.

He has a 17 year old daughter that I adore, and until yesterday I thought the feelings was mutual with her...She popped off " is_______ spending the night tonight, too?" (let me interject, we do not sleep together at his house when she is home.) this was said while passing thru, and I was totally ignored by her...she has popped off in the past stuff like, Well, I AM his kid"....I don't know where this is coming from...

Now my questions are:

Do I address these remarks with her(as we have had a great relationship, talking, etc) or with her daddy and let him talk to her?

AM I wrong to feel disrespected?

What would you do?

Thanks in advance...

Im dating a man who has 2 teen daughters..17 and 13. I often spend the nite over there and yes we do sleep in the same bed and the girls know it, he also spends the nite at my house, and my kids know he sleeps in my bed, Im an adult.
But yes I feel for you, I too used to date this man who had a daughter who was almost 21, she is 21 now...She wont throw a hissy fit if I even hugged her dad or showed him any attention..So I told him I wasnt going to compete with her, she acted very immature for her age, I wont put up with that..
My boyfriend now. has the sweetest girls..

Old 02-28-2011, 12:29 PM

543 posts, read 999,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
To this day my wife is a complete blonde when it comes to her kids, and her kids show it. She has no backbone when it comes to her kids. I made up my mind 25 years ago they were her problem, not mine, and would never be my problem.
If you married that woman, you also "married" her kids. If you decided to take that approach, SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!

Because of people like you is the reason why this society is the way it is. So, you just sat down and let her be a bad parent?! Like I said, SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-28-2011, 12:33 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,577,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by round4 View Post
I've had alot of my "real-life" friends say this...I thought they were just being partial...
As I said in my post its not her house so my rules applied. This I know from first hand experience with my own daughter many years ago. You can only have one wife in the home ,although some times a daughter can act like she is you part time wife with all the power of the full time one. Marriage going on 47 yrs and still alive and well , and so is the daughter along with all her own problems , we don't interfer.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:47 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,091,544 times
Quote:
Oh ! Give me a break folks ! she is 17 yrs old and probably sleeping with he BF at her moms house anyway. Her dad has a right to a life also , does she thing he is not allowed to have friends ?. And as to the house being her's ??, It will be her's if the dad happened to die but until then it is his to do as he wishes .

I agree..damn she is 17 old enough to know her dad is going to have a relationship with dad..It is the dads house she may live there but Im sure she dont pay the mortgage...she needs to grow up..and dad needs to make her..

Old 02-28-2011, 12:52 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_jay26 View Post
It can and it should change because kids will not be around forever!!!
Some are.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:57 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
You don't have any right to make such assumptions about the daughter's sex life. No one has stated that the father cannot have friends. And the house IS the daughter's legal residence...it certainly is not the OP's.
Do you have much experience with teen children and dating?

And let me add...just because you think it should be so, doesn't make it so. Everyone does have their own views of how to raise their own child. Personally, I don't think parents should be having relations with whomever they are dating, with minor children in the home. Many divorce decrees specifically forbid this - for both parents. (Obviously the older the kid is, the more discussions there should be on this.) But that isn't even the issue here. The issue is that this daughter is, for whatever reason, feeling displaced. And to ignore that, and carry on as if her feelings don't matter...well you might as well end the relationship right now.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 02-28-2011 at 01:32 PM..

Old 02-28-2011, 01:06 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
As I said in my post its not her house so my rules applied. This I know from first hand experience with my own daughter many years ago. You can only have one wife in the home ,although some times a daughter can act like she is you part time wife with all the power of the full time one. Marriage going on 47 yrs and still alive and well , and so is the daughter along with all her own problems , we don't interfer.
Your marriage made it because you're one of VERY few who know how and are willing to handle the situation as it should be handled. In most cases of this exact nature the father is pretty much married to his daughter for all practical purposes short of sex. That he gets from the "outsider," the unimportant appendage to "the family," who sooner or later gets tired of it and leaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships