Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tall women, would you date or marry a short man?
Yes 51 53.13%
No 45 46.88%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 02:31 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,430,801 times

Advertisements

Why is wearing heels such a big deal to women? It seems like lots of women would rather be able to wear heals than like, date a certain dude or not get made fun of for their height or something. I don't get it.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:32 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,504,786 times
if a woman is already uncomfortable about her tall stature standing there with a shorty is not guna help.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:42 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,655,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
Why is wearing heels such a big deal to women? It seems like lots of women would rather be able to wear heals than like, date a certain dude or not get made fun of for their height or something. I don't get it.
Well, women are constantly bombarded with pictures and videos of short(ish) women wearing tall heels who look svelte and feminine. If you're 6' or taller, generally you're not going to look all that feminine wearing heels unless you're extremely thin.

I go back and forth in my feelings. I LOVE wearing heels and get made fun of for my height all the time. I'm not going to stop wearing heels because I enjoy wearing them, regardless of what other people think or say. On the other hand, sometimes I'll see pictures when I'm wearing 5" heels and it looks horrible and I look HUGE. For women, looking huge is not a good thing. We're supposed to be cute, small and feminine. I will never really be any of those things, so I'm slowly getting more and more confident in working with what I have.

I would gladly give up a lifetime of wearing heels to be with a man who loves me. No questions asked.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:44 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,430,801 times
I wasn't picking on you in particular, plenty of short women are just as militant about heels. I don't see why anyone would let that get in the way of who they date, but it seems like it does. "Yeah but if I date him I will be taller than him if I am wearing heels, it's not gonna work out."

Old 04-01-2012, 02:45 PM

52,325 posts, read 52,791,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Well, women are constantly bombarded with pictures and videos of short(ish) women wearing tall heels who look svelte and feminine. If you're 6' or taller, generally you're not going to look all that feminine wearing heels unless you're extremely thin.

I go back and forth in my feelings. I LOVE wearing heels and get made fun of for my height all the time. I'm not going to stop wearing heels because I enjoy wearing them, regardless of what other people think or say. On the other hand, sometimes I'll see pictures when I'm wearing 5" heels and it looks horrible and I look HUGE. For women, looking huge is not a good thing. We're supposed to be cute, small and feminine. I will never really be any of those things, so I'm slowly getting more and more confident in working with what I have.

I would gladly give up a lifetime of wearing heels to be with a man who loves me. No questions asked.
Who are these people that make fun of you? You've posted about this a lot in this forum.

Are they friends of yours?? I hope so, I hate to think random people on the street are treating you like some circus act.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:46 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,744,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Who are these people that make fun of you? You've posted about this a lot in this forum.

Are they friends of yours?? I hope so, I hate to think random people on the street are treating you like some circus act.

it is mostly the males that do this. have no problem saying rude things to women they dont even know instead of going on about their buisness.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:57 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,655,189 times
Quote:

Sure, my friends make fun of me, but I know it's in good humor for the most part.

Most of the time it's complete strangers. I've completely lost count of how many times I've watched groups of men point and laugh at me, make rude or lewd gestures at me and hit on me as a joke. I have trust issues I'm trying to work through because of it.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:06 PM

52,325 posts, read 52,791,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Sure, my friends make fun of me, but I know it's in good humor for the most part.

Most of the time it's complete strangers. I've completely lost count of how many times I've watched groups of men point and laugh at me, make rude or lewd gestures at me and hit on me as a joke. I have trust issues I'm trying to work through because of it.

Well if your friends are goofing on you, I'm sure its good natured, but random people pointing and stuff like that. That is just BAD manners.

I don't like bad manners at all.

I need to head over to the pet peeves thread and make an entry regarding bad manners....

Old 04-01-2012, 03:09 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,640,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
I am 5'6". I used to be worried about my height, but not anymore. The way I see it, I can walk, both my arms work, I can see and I can hear. There are people out there with true disabilities, and I personally feel like I would be disrespecting them if I were to whine about something as trivial as my height.

Best post in this thread!

I'm short as well (5"4), but I also have a neurological disorder which makes walking proper a challenge. I still have use of my legs and walk everywhere, albeit with a noticeable limp and some pain. But there's so much more things to be worried about in life than height, looks, etc. and you should be thankful that you have functioning legs.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:43 PM

88,676 posts, read 84,998,937 times
Quote:

Chiming in here at six foot one-half in tall. People do make fun of tall women and say things to them that are thoughtless and rude. All the time. I am 53 years old, and I am not some delicate flower whose feelings are easily hurt anymore, but I was this tall at 14 so you can imagine how much fun THAT was. Even TEACHERS mocked me for my height. You grow a thick skin, but it's still annoying.

Just this past Friday, I get on the NYC subway, No. 4 train, step inside, and this guy looks me up and down and says, "You play basketball?"

SO VERY ORIGINAL, and usually my answer to that one is, "No, are you a jockey?" But I wasn't in the mood, so I just turned my back to him and ignored him--always the best choice on the NY subway system anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.