Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tall women, would you date or marry a short man?
Yes 51 53.13%
No 45 46.88%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 05:12 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,643,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
You know, there was a time when the average woman in the united states was pretty slim.
We get it, you like slim women. Move to coastal California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter002 View Post
You know this because you were there during caveman times right? The preference for taller men CANNOT be evolutionary, but social, since you are programmed to "prefer" taller men from childhood. If your dad isn't tall, then all of the disney movies, storybooks, television shows that show taller men as leaders, superheros, and sexually preferred play a role. Shorter men who ever play heros either make an ass out of themselves to do it (i.e. Ben Stiller), or were teen heartthrobs who managed to stay in the spotlight (i.e. novelties like Tom Cruise, Johnny Depp or Michael J. Fox).

Many studies have been done on primitive societies still existing that the "preference for taller men" for all things social (i.e. authority, leadership) varied from society to society with some African Societies for example, full with women to which no majority existed with preferring taller men, meaning there were just as many with shorter ones as taller ones regardless of the women's height.

Throughout the Caribbean and Latin America this can be seen. Plenty of immigrant couples from the Caribbean and Latin America in NYC where the mother is taller than the father to which it is no big deal.

More importantly, evolution = usually in terms of natural selection which does not imply bigger = better, but in relation to what and how humans can survive (i.e. resistance to diseases and conditions which has nothing to do with height) . Humans can think and use logic which means that your 6'6 guy during the Caveman times would stand no chance against the 5'6 guy who figured out how to make fire and use weapons first. Neanderthals, who could mate with Homo Sapiens (and did) were significantly taller than Homo Sapiens, yet the bigger species (which definitely included taller males) died out. Why is that?

Men during the time of Christ averaged 4'6-5'1. Humans have only passed that 5'7 threshold (meaning a large precentage) within the last 150 years. There's a whole millions of years before that.

Not adding fuel to the fire, but while there is an overwhelming preference for much taller men among humans today, it isn't "evolutionary" (that is an easy cop out to put a label on things you can't accurately explain), but it is SOCIALLY CONSTRUCTED.

Remember, less than 100 years ago, the vast majority of non-minority believed Whites were more evolved than blacks (and other races), smarter, more attractive, etc, etc, all because of "EVOLUTION". (they had all of the "science" to back it up also....)

All "isms" are social constructs. Heightism, Weightism, Colorism, Sexism - None of them have any evolutionary basis.
http://www.mamamia.com.au/relationsh...ry-attraction/

There are links in the article to the research. Men prefer shorter than average women, women prefer taller than average men.

If you think about it, it makes perfect sense. Small women are feminine and therefore more attractive and taller men are more...well...manly. In western society, these things are exaggerated. Muscles are larger, breast implants are more common etc. which is just our way of exaggerating the things that we think the opposite sex will find attractive.

Most women will prefer taller, larger men. Just as most men will prefer tiny, feminine women. It's just our nature.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:21 PM

499 posts, read 757,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
We get it, you like slim women. Move to coastal California.

Tall men are sexier. Studies reveal evolutionary attraction. Mamamia

There are links in the article to the research. Men prefer shorter than average women, women prefer taller than average men.

If you think about it, it makes perfect sense. Small women are feminine and therefore more attractive and taller men are more...well...manly. In western society, these things are exaggerated. Muscles are larger, breast implants are more common etc. which is just our way of exaggerating the things that we think the opposite sex will find attractive.

Most women will prefer taller, larger men. Just as most men will prefer tiny, feminine women. It's just our nature.
You basically ignored my whole post, so no need for me to repeat it. Most people have these preferences because of social conditioning, not because of "nature".

Old 11-06-2012, 05:26 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,406,814 times
[IMG]http://******************/tired-sleeping-smiley-17370.gif[/IMG]

Old 11-06-2012, 05:33 PM

181 posts, read 192,374 times
I am 5'7" and I would not date anybody shorter than myself, but I have dated men exactly my height, 5'8" etc. I do not like anybody over 6'4" either though, no giants please. I have to admit though I also prefer shorter but with a hot body than tall but no muscle definition etc

Old 11-06-2012, 05:47 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,643,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter002 View Post
You basically ignored my whole post, so no need for me to repeat it. Most people have these preferences because of social conditioning, not because of "nature".
No, I read it. It's the same old stuff you always say.

Social conditioning exists because of nature.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:11 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,234,345 times
Well I am tall with muscle, but women that go gaga over that tend not to be relationship material. I am not the male equivalent of a ****, Id prefer if they would say hi, instead of hitting on me.

I've never felt secure being sexually wanted by strangers.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
No, I read it. It's the same old stuff you always say.

Social conditioning exists because of nature.
Very good! So when someone rejects you because for someone with a lighter skin color, softer facial features, or a white woman, make sure you chalk that one up to nature too okay?!..... Because as you said..... "Social conditioning exists because of 'nature' ".

Good one! Lol.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:52 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,406,814 times
Quote:
Well I am tall with muscle, but women that go gaga over that tend not to be relationship material. I am not the male equivalent of a ****, Id prefer if they would say hi, instead of hitting on me.

Define gaga.

And when they hit on you, don't they ever start with "hi!"? Or they just flat out say "I wanna' ride you!!!!"?

Old 11-06-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:

That's because you are being objectified sexually. It's the same b.s. women complain about "men view us as sexual objects, *cry* *cry* *cry*".

Women objectify men also, but in different ways. It's hypocritical. You can't tell many of them this though because then you will hear cries of sexism, misogyny, and other accusations.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:32 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,724,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I wonder why? The few exceptionally tall women I've known have been desperate for tall guys. They had no other options.
Desperate with no options? How sad! Why couldn't they date guys who were shorter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships