Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 08:05 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,921,416 times

Advertisements

Once divorce was apparent, I joined a divorce support group. For purposes of answering your question, I want to share some TRUE stories:

1. One woman started immediately dating a man in our group, thinking he was THE ONE...only to find out later he was literally using her (he told her that) and she was devastated.

2. Another began dating immediately and slept with every guy that came along....each time saying he was a "lovely man"

3. A man in the group went back and forth from his ex to others he met...over and over.

4. Another woman too began dating....only to be hopeful then very disappointed each time.

What I am getting to: those who are divorcing (particularly after long-term marriages) are in NO CONDITION EMOTIONALLY TO HAVE ANY TYPE OF DATING/SERIOUS RELATIONSHIP. Quite similar to the recommendation for recovering from alcoholism etc.....ie no dating for a year or so......

WATCH OUT or you could be hurt. The people I mentioned are fine, smart, law-abiding citizens who were overwhelmed with their situations and made poor choices.

Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 08:05 AM

12,974 posts, read 34,005,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCBGirl View Post
How do you feel about this..?
Personally I would NEVER date someone who is "separated". That is just going by my own personal code of ethics. I would never do it. Even when I separated from my first wife, I did not date anyone until the divorce was final. I had women beating down my door and almost begging me to date them (or more), but since I was still "married", I refused to do anything. Its just my own personal code of ethics and conduct that drive me. If someone is married, they are married. Doesnt matter if they are separated, going through a divorce, on vacation, have a "hall pass", etc. Being married means they are off the market and not dateable.

Quote:
I'm not even sure what currently separated really entails (or in a legal context) with regards to marriage/divorce.. So, is he still married? Honestly, I know very little about how divorce works. Does divorce differ from state to state, we are in PA.
Forget about inquiring about the state law, you should just ask this guy these questions instead of internet folks. In my opinion, the very next words out of your mouth when he said he was "currently separated" should have been "So you are married?" OR "Call me when you are divorced then maybe we could get together."

Quote:
Can this backfire on me?.. I can see the ex coming after me with a knife or gun. I don't need that kind of drama. Additionally, I haven't asked him any details about the divorce, I told him he can always talk to me about it when he is ready.
This makes me think that no matter what anyone says here about what you should or should not do, you already have your mind made up about this guy. You are probably just looking for answers that you WANT to hear (probably along the lines of "Well you should date him and see what happens") instead of advice along the lines of what would be right to do. So, yeah, you could be risking having someone come after you with knife or gun but you are going to do it anyway. I mean really, are you having difficulty in finding guys that you are willing to overlook the negatives of this guy just so you can have someone?

Old 03-10-2011, 08:22 AM

153 posts, read 237,686 times
I think you need to get more information...... such as...... has he filed for divorce, has he moved out, does he have children and if so is custody worked out, lastly yes I would want to make sure the ex isn't likely to get violent.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:24 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,624,490 times
Can't believe this is even a question.

OP, lets say you and your husband are having a tough time, what would you think of some tramp that was try'n to make matters worse?

And your worried that it might backfire on you? Selfish, inconsiderate.

The other thing is to trust a POS that would look elsewhere when he is still married. You two just might be right for each other, you both have no respect for others.

not post'n w/a smile.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:27 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,683,206 times
i would never date someone who was separated, just as if I were separated I would not date.

while its a gray area for many, for my beliefs, you are still married (even if only on paper) and its still adultery.

once its final though, go for it LOL

Old 03-10-2011, 08:38 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,312,996 times
If he is still married, and ya'll date, it IS adultry. Especially if his vows went something like; ''cleaving no other, til death do us part''.

A lot of people say their vows and don't think about what they are saying.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:41 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,099,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
If he is still married, and ya'll date, it IS adultry. Especially if his vows went something like; ''cleaving no other, til death do us part''.

A lot of people say their vows and don't think about what they are saying.

It depends on the persons definition of adultery? Not everyone believes the same thing, ??

Old 03-10-2011, 08:44 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,312,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
It depends on the persons definition of adultery? Not everyone believes the same thing, ??
That is true, but we can only speak for ourselves, oui?

Old 03-10-2011, 09:17 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,104,615 times
Originally Posted by BCBGirl
Quote:
Can this backfire on me?.. I can see the ex coming after me with a knife or gun. I don't need that kind of drama. Additionally, I haven't asked him any details about the divorce, I told him he can always talk to me about it when he is ready.
no, no, no.. Stop right there! You're leaving yourself open to become a door mat. Whatever your 'relationship' is at the moment, there's 2 of you in it, and your emotions are just as important as his.
He may not be ready to talk about it, but you are or you wouldn't be asking us. Ask him for details, ask if he's got kids, ask him if he wanted this separation or was it his wifes idea, and really listen to what he's saying, not what you want to hear.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:24 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,694,807 times
Another problem with dating a "currently separated" person is that even if they really are in the process of getting a divorce, you are probably a rebound who's going to be given the boot once the divorce happens. Men really love to use you as a sexual band-aid during the divorce process, and if there was any infidelity on the wife's part even more so.

I had to learn this lesson the hard way, and I suspect the OP will have to learn this the hard way too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships