Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 04:57 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,361,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Sigh. Either you believe me or not, I'm very tired of explaining myself and I don't owe one. I wanted answers from only Mormons or people who know Mormons in that thread, hence the keyword Mormons. Got about 2 serious responses and now you've followed me to this forum giving me the same info and being accusatory. I'm actually glad that other thread was closed cuz it ran its course and there weren't many Mormons responding.

Now I just want general responses unrelated to Mormonism.

Unfortunately it's already been linked to Mormonism by a bunch of weird internet sources so you should really blame somebody else for that.

Maybe you can complain to the urban dictionary. Accusing me of trying to link it with Mormonism does you nor your LDS church no benefit.
Again, if you really wanted an answer about the link to Mormonism why didn't you just get the answer for yourself? It would have been more conclusive than what you were clearly looking for, faster, and easier.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:44 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
I wanted answers from only Mormons or people who know Mormons in that thread, hence the keyword Mormons. Got about 2 serious responses and now you've followed me to this forum giving me the same info and being accusatory.
I followed you here? Yeah, man, I'm stalking you. I did a search on "Mormon," as I do from time to time and came up with both of your threads. My response on this thread wasn't for you, in particular, since I figured you'd see what I had to say on your thread in the Religion forum. It was for other posters who might be inclined to actually believe this nonsense. If you don't want people replying to the same thread posted in two different forums, don't post it in two different forums.

Quote:
Accusing me of trying to link it with Mormonism does you nor your LDS church no benefit.
Frankly my dear, neither I nor the LDS Church cares. I'm was just trying to set the record straight, that's all.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:26 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Frankly my dear, neither I nor the LDS Church cares. I'm was just trying to set the record straight, that's all.
It's been set.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
Again, if you really wanted an answer about the link to Mormonism why didn't you just get the answer for yourself? It would have been more conclusive than what you were clearly looking for, faster, and easier.
Give it a rest. No such reliable resources exist describing or disproving a "fringe" practice, which already sounds fake. The next best thing is anecdotal evidence. None has been found.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Give it a rest. No such reliable resources exist describing or disproving a "fringe" practice, which already sounds fake. The next best thing is anecdotal evidence. None has been found.
https://lds.org/youth/for-the-streng...urity?lang=eng

Took me less than a minute to find.

Not only that, but there's been several front page stories about BYU basketball player Brandon Davies who got suspended from the basketball team for violating the honor code, all the articles address the no sex policy at BYU.

Google

There's literally dozens of articles on it.

You didn't even look for the information.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
https://lds.org/youth/for-the-streng...urity?lang=eng

Took me less than a minute to find.

Not only that, but there's been several front page stories about BYU basketball player Brandon Davies who got suspended from the basketball team for violating the honor code, all the articles address the no sex policy at BYU.

Google

There's literally dozens of articles on it.

You didn't even look for the information.
I did look. I'm sorry, but those articles are not relevant. I've seen the BYU articles and they are also irrelevant. It's a no brainer that there is a no sex policy whenever any religion and pre-marital sex is concerned. LDS isn't even the most strict. But it's not conclusive that young people (not necessarily Mormons... but any Christian... or any Eastern culture where pre-marital sex is condemned by parents) would definitely see "soaking" as sex, especially when some websites I've come across define it as some spiritual and religious way to connect with your partner without having sex - and only if you accidentally orgasm does it count as sex. It's not that inconceivable that some misguided teens might actually believe in that myth, because there are some teens (again, not targeting LDS) who believe that backdoor sex helps to keep their virginity on a technicality.

I just find the whole concept so weird and impossible to actually carry out. Maybe I shouldn't let it disturb me so much, but a lot of people around me actually do believe that teenagers do this. I actually knew one Christian male who did this about 10 years ago and after the fact still considered himself a virgin. But there was no terminology such as "soaking" at that time, and the incident was really just "accidental". So I do have real questions about the possibility that this could exist as a fringe practice by misguided people. So far it sounds like nobody's even heard of or encountered it, except in a feminist context. So I'm thinking, it's just some weird urban legend. I'm glad I asked because the lack of evidence makes it easier for me to tell people that this is fake.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
I did look. I'm sorry, but those articles are not relevant. I've seen the BYU articles and they are also irrelevant. It's a no brainer that there is a no sex policy whenever any religion and pre-marital sex is concerned. LDS isn't even the most strict. But it's not conclusive that young people (not necessarily Mormons... but any Christian... or any Eastern culture where pre-marital sex is condemned by parents) would definitely see "soaking" as sex, especially when some websites I've come across define it as some spiritual and religious way to connect with your partner without having sex - and only if you accidentally orgasm does it count as sex. It's not that inconceivable that some misguided teens might actually believe in that myth, because there are some teens (again, not targeting LDS) who believe that backdoor sex helps to keep their virginity on a technicality.

I just find the whole concept so weird and impossible to actually carry out. Maybe I shouldn't let it disturb me so much, but a lot of people around me actually do believe that teenagers do this. I actually knew one Christian male who did this about 10 years ago and after the fact still considered himself a virgin. But there was no terminology such as "soaking" at that time, and the incident was really just "accidental". So I do have real questions about the possibility that this could exist as a fringe practice by misguided people.
rel·e·vant   
[rel-uh-vuhnt] Show IPA
–adjective
bearing upon or connected with the matter in hand; pertinent: a relevant remark.

Relevant | Define Relevant at Dictionary.com

By definition, both are completely and totally relevant.

But hey, don't let the English language get in your way.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
rel·e·vant   
[rel-uh-vuhnt] Show IPA
–adjective
bearing upon or connected with the matter in hand; pertinent: a relevant remark.

Relevant | Define Relevant at Dictionary.com

By definition, both are completely and totally relevant.

But hey, don't let the English language get in your way.
Where is soaking described in any sources you cite? IR-relevant. Don't let the truth get in your way.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:11 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
Hahaha, and here I was going to post that yes I've heard of it and I had to change the sheets last week because of said practice.

Then I read the thread

Geez I'm so sheltered.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:11 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,385,589 times
....sounds like something that's popular in Tantric sex too by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships