Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 07:29 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedandlost;18272677[/quote

He even told me he loved me and he loves hearing my voice and misses me, etc etc. However, he also told me he wants to take things slow and “he doesn’t want a relationship right now”. Now, he told my friend this back in December before I was ever in the picture so I know it is something he said before I even came in.
He loves you or he's "in" love with you?

He's acting like he's in a relationship, but doesn't "want a relationship right now"?

Quote:
Me and him got into our first fight a week ago. He called me while I was drunk and I said something stupid. (Lesson here is NEVER talk to people you are emotionally attached to when you’re drunk, LOL) Anyways, we argued about it the next day and several times he said “our relationship”. What the hell?? This is after his “He doesn’t want a relationship”. He told me that night to not contact him and he needed space from me now because he didn’t ask me to come into his life and cause him to question himself. I said “Excuse me, but YOU came after me and then told me you’re not ready for a relationship.” And we just fought. Anyways, after telling me to not contact him, he didn’t even last a day. The next morning, he told me he liked me too much and nothing would change that and that he was sorry. We have been doing a lot better and planning a date for later this week.
What I would do, is have a serious conversation with him. This sounds like how the end of a relationship goes, not the beginning of one.

Before you invest any more time, energy, emotion, etc., the two of you need to figure it out. You need to tell him what you want, and if he's not ready for it (dating and seeing where it goes), tell him very politely, that you are at a different stage in your life and you are open to being in a relationship. Until he figures out what he wants, and isn't going to change his mind every other week, don't call you. When he figures out what he wants, he can give you a call to see if you are either still available or still interested.

Quote:
Problem is I know I am getting attached to this guy. I have never ever dated or liked a man of my culture and I already have so many dreams and hopes attached to him. I know it has only been a month but I can’t help it. I have always been worried about shaming my family by bringing home a non Indian man. He is the first Indian guy I found attractive and I get along with. His beliefs align mine (against cultural norms, non religious, Democrat, liberal) and yet we differ enough to keep interest.
There will be others. Don't hang on just because of this. I have a lot of girlfriends who are Jewish, and never dated a Jewish guy (for various reasons - none negative) and all married within their faith.

Quote:
He told me he wanted me to know that I am not just a kissing buddy but that his feelings are truly genuine.
His feelings that he doesn't want to be in a relationship?

Quote:
I ignored him and he began to panic. Said he nearly had a panic attack thinking I was really gone. My friend verifies all these things since she has known him for years.
Why does he flip flop so easily?

Quote:
The reason why he is says he is weary of relationships is because girls in the past hurt him. He dated 2 women and both relationships weren’t good. His last one was 2 years on and off. His first one was about 2 months. I told him everyone has exes that hurt him and that he shouldn’t write me off because of them.
Tell him you aren't #1 or #2, you are you. There is NO guarantee any relationship will last, but he probably won't figure that out until he wakes up one day and you're married (to someone else).

And that's sort of a line men have been using for ages, "I can't commit right now b/c my ex really hurt me, but I'm sure I could find in myself to fool around with you".

Quote:
I know it has only been a month and a half but I want your opinion. What do I do? I asked a couple of my friends and they say to give him until May and if he is still dancing to the same tune, move on. What can I do to make him want to commit? Anyone been in a situation similar to this? Everything seems to be so fine between me and him and he says he loves me and we kiss and everything. He says he is scared of losing me and panics. He did slip up and say “our relationship” when he fought. And as much as I want to be with him, I have to watch out for myself too. I don’t know or whats going on.
You really can't make anyone commit. And it doesn't need to happen over night - you can date for 6 months and just "date". Doesn't mean you have to just date him, and if you're not in a committed relationship with him, what you do is none of his business and vice versa.

You need to take control of your situation. Lay it out there, tell him what you want and if he's not up for it, tell him to let you know when he is. Until then, leave you alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 07:37 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,833,752 times
move the freak on. have some self-respect and find your own sense of happiness. you dont want to be in a co-dependent relationship................ if this eventually does turn into a relationship, both of you sound too needy.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:38 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,580,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedandlost View Post
I just dont understand why people do this. A new person is a new relationship. If people hurt you in the past, why punish the new potential person?

Yeah I am trying to relax. I don't know what to do though. How long to wait? If or when he will ever ask me to be his girl.
He's probably not thinking about it like "punishing" the new potential person. The trouble is, some people are dating because they want to find a girlfriend/boyfriend. They are ready to date and want a partner. Other people date just to have fun. They don't want anything serious. Other people wanted something serious once, got hurt, and then started dating again before they were ready. Really, they shouldn't date until they know what they want, but they do and sometimes it hurts the person they're dating. You can't make someone ready when they aren't, no matter how hard you try.

But again, there's no way to know if that's just a story or not. This guy may know what he wants, and he may not want anything serious, maybe just with you, or maybe with any girl.

That's why it's so important that you not do anything you aren't okay with, and that you keep your eyes focused on what you are looking for. If you're looking for a boyfriend, then you don't wait around hoping he'll "ask you to be his girl." After you've dated for a reasonable amount of time (a month is plenty), you bring up the subject yourself. You let him know what you're looking for, keeping in mind that you have as much power in the matter as him. If he's not treating you right, or not offering what you want (a relationship), you need to be willing to say, "I'm sorry, this isn't what I'm looking for. I really like you, but I'm looking for a guy who wants something serious. If something changes one day, you have my number." If he thinks you don't value yourself, why should he value you?

Old 03-14-2011, 07:46 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj7fjWXw35w

See this movie. This is what relationships are all about. Reality Vs expectations. Some people get lucky and meet the right one.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:54 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,726,438 times
This guy sounds like he doesn't even know what HE wants...or if he wants a relationship. A proven time waster. And what smart woman has a lot of time to waste on a commitmentphobe? Run.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:04 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Your status is that you're not in a relationship.

It's pretty simple. I know that's not the case when you're attached, but from the outside?

There IS no relationship. Because he says there isn't.

My advice? Walk.

Tell him to call you when he actually wants a relationship, and if you're free, you'll consider it.

Don't waste time on someone that can't even have the most basic relationship and call it what it is.

He's cowardly for not owning the fact that if you two are spending time together, and he "loves" you like he claims... that's a relationship.

Doesn't mean you have to get married or start having babies.

Geez.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney1987 View Post
move the freak on. have some self-respect and find your own sense of happiness. you dont want to be in a co-dependent relationship................ if this eventually does turn into a relationship, both of you sound too needy.
They're young.

I don't know how many relationships the OP has had, but he has only had 2. One for 2 months (I wouldn't call that a relationship) and one that was on and off for 2 years (obviously not a stable relationship)....and he sounds pretty gun shy.

OP might want to talk to that mutual friend of theirs and find out why his past relationships ended up the way they did.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
He's probably not thinking about it like "punishing" the new potential person. The trouble is, some people are dating because they want to find a girlfriend/boyfriend. They are ready to date and want a partner. Other people date just to have fun. They don't want anything serious. Other people wanted something serious once, got hurt, and then started dating again before they were ready. Really, they shouldn't date until they know what they want, but they do and sometimes it hurts the person they're dating. You can't make someone ready when they aren't, no matter how hard you try.

But again, there's no way to know if that's just a story or not. This guy may know what he wants, and he may not want anything serious, maybe just with you, or maybe with any girl.

That's why it's so important that you not do anything you aren't okay with, and that you keep your eyes focused on what you are looking for. If you're looking for a boyfriend, then you don't wait around hoping he'll "ask you to be his girl." After you've dated for a reasonable amount of time (a month is plenty), you bring up the subject yourself. You let him know what you're looking for, keeping in mind that you have as much power in the matter as him. If he's not treating you right, or not offering what you want (a relationship), you need to be willing to say, "I'm sorry, this isn't what I'm looking for. I really like you, but I'm looking for a guy who wants something serious. If something changes one day, you have my number." If he thinks you don't value yourself, why should he value you?

Timing is everything.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:07 PM

343 posts, read 524,145 times
Think with your head not your heart. Don't mistake his possessiveness as love.
There's no reason for you to get caught up in his confusion. He does not get priority in your life, you save that for a man who loves & is committed to you.

And, most importantly, do not sleep with him. I know you said you didn't have sex but you're tempting fate and it will happen eventually. Only children take naps together. Not to mention it implies an intimacy that he gets to enjoy without any commitment.

Find out the true story between your friend and this guy. Something smells fishy about that.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:19 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,467,383 times
You're asking what your relationship status is?

If he said he's not ready for a relationship, then you're not in a relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships