Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2011, 05:50 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,291,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Sorry. I have tons of my own money and I know one very important thing - you can't buy good company and good conversation. Only a very shallow man would build up his wealth because that's all he thinks he can offer.
And shallow women will throw themselves at men with a lot of wealth and a cool car. Same way as shallow men will be interested in a girl just because she's showing cleavage.

A woman can have tons of money, still, doesn't mean she will be so interested in dating the waiter at the local coffee shop (lower level man). A woman with a lot of money can still expect a man to pay for her expenses all under the name of "chivalry...beginning stages...tradition...". Not saying it is wrong or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 05:50 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,111,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I'll share with you a special little story of mine...

So - my mother had told my father he could never have a Corvette because he had such a lead foot (that's where I get mine from!) and she knew he would get into trouble with it. Anyway - he found out he had cancer, a very bad kind, and she relented and let him get the Corvette. After he passed away, my husband (who was my boyfriend at the time) and I took the car out (my mother refused to drive it after my dad died). I'm from Southern California and my parents live right near the coast. So - the hubby and I are out driving on this beautiful windy road that overlooks the ocean. We have the top down and it is just another gorgeous Southern California day. Then - my dad's favorite song comes on the radio. It was like he was there with us. That's my special car memory.
And ^this^, ladies and gentlemen, is where goosebumps come from.

That's awesome. I'm sure he was.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:29 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,897,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I'll share with you a special little story of mine...

So - my mother had told my father he could never have a Corvette because he had such a lead foot (that's where I get mine from!) and she knew he would get into trouble with it. Anyway - he found out he had cancer, a very bad kind, and she relented and let him get the Corvette. After he passed away, my husband (who was my boyfriend at the time) and I took the car out (my mother refused to drive it after my dad died). I'm from Southern California and my parents live right near the coast. So - the hubby and I are out driving on this beautiful windy road that overlooks the ocean. We have the top down and it is just another gorgeous Southern California day. Then - my dad's favorite song comes on the radio. It was like he was there with us. That's my special car memory.
See? Guys and cars. Not even the great hereafter changes things

Just out of curiosity, what song was it?

Old 03-30-2011, 07:33 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,215,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
See? Guys and cars. Not even the great hereafter changes things

Just out of curiosity, what song was it?
Piano Man by Billy Joel. He absolutely loved that song.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:17 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,487,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
And shallow women will throw themselves at men with a lot of wealth and a cool car. Same way as shallow men will be interested in a girl just because she's showing cleavage.

A woman can have tons of money, still, doesn't mean she will be so interested in dating the waiter at the local coffee shop (lower level man). A woman with a lot of money can still expect a man to pay for her expenses all under the name of "chivalry...beginning stages...tradition...". Not saying it is wrong or anything.
Wouldn't date a waiter because it's unlikely we'd have anything in common. It's not the money. It's the background, lifestyle, interests, etc. I want someone who can intellectually challenge me. Who shares my political and world view. Who has the same life plans. The money thing just follows the pattern of education. I would *totally* go for a college professor - they'd make nowhere near what I make but could be a satisfying partner in many ways (provided they weren't a flaming liberal).

Old 03-31-2011, 09:34 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,855,876 times
Quote:
Wouldn't date a waiter because it's unlikely we'd have anything in common. It's not the money. It's the background, lifestyle, interests, etc. I want someone who can intellectually challenge me.
I bet there are some waiters out there that are brilliant. Perhaps they are just down on their luck employment-wise. Or maybe they REALLY like waiting tables! If the free food and tips flow freely they could make a lot of dough.

Quote:
I would *totally* go for a college professor - they'd make nowhere near what I make but could be a satisfying partner in many ways (provided they weren't a flaming liberal).
College professors certainly make enough to be very well-off. How about a brilliant middle school teacher? They make very little, yet there are many that are very intellectual. This would be a more interesting question.

Don't worry Stan, I'm not trying to pick you apart or be inflammatory. I do find your point of view interesting though and I'd like to learn more about it.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:29 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,487,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
I bet there are some waiters out there that are brilliant. Perhaps they are just down on their luck employment-wise. Or maybe they REALLY like waiting tables! If the free food and tips flow freely they could make a lot of dough.

College professors certainly make enough to be very well-off. How about a brilliant middle school teacher? They make very little, yet there are many that are very intellectual. This would be a more interesting question.

Don't worry Stan, I'm not trying to pick you apart or be inflammatory. I do find your point of view interesting though and I'd like to learn more about it.
Ok. Please introduce me to the waiter who is going to intellectually challenge me...and I think we both know the previous comment by onihc was about a career waiter, not a guy between jobs. There are always newsworthy exceptions about some eccentric (which, btw, I don't enjoy eccentrics - they are usually also megalomaniacs) who goes into waiting despite having disproved Einstein's theory of hoosie-whatsie, but that's not what we're talking about.

My ex-roommate in college is BRILLIANT and is a middle school math teacher. Brilliant. Genius. I have every respect for her.

Um, no...college profs don't by and large do that well financially. I mean, it's respectable, but I'd never date one for the money...lol...

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/...ucation/Salary

Old 03-31-2011, 10:40 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,291,872 times
Quote:
Wouldn't date a waiter because it's unlikely we'd have anything in common. It's not the money. It's the background, lifestyle, interests, etc. I want someone who can intellectually challenge me. Who shares my political and world view. Who has the same life plans. The money thing just follows the pattern of education. I would *totally* go for a college professor - they'd make nowhere near what I make but could be a satisfying partner in many ways (provided they weren't a flaming liberal).
There you go. For money, academics, intellectual, status, his car, etc. you name it. Women normally just won’t show interest in someone from a lower level.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:40 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,855,876 times
Quote:
Ok. Please introduce me to the waiter who is going to intellectually challenge me...and I think we both know the previous comment by onihc was about a career waiter, not a guy between jobs. There are always newsworthy exceptions about some eccentric (which, btw, I don't enjoy eccentrics - they are usually also megalomaniacs) who goes into waiting despite having disproved Einstein's theory of hoosie-whatsie, but that's not what we're talking about.

My ex-roommate in college is BRILLIANT and is a middle school math teacher. Brilliant. Genius. I have every respect for her.

Um, no...college profs don't by and large do that well financially. I mean, it's respectable, but I'd never date one for the money...lol...

College Professor Salary - Average Professor Salaries - PayScale
At a lot of great schools the median salary for a college professor is six figures. I guess we're both on the wrong page in terms of what constitutes financial well-being

The day I make six figures (I'm an engineer) will be almost as good as the day I get engaged. Hopefully it doesn't take the rest of my life for either of those things to happen.

By the way, I didn't know career waiters actually did exist. I always figured just about all of them were only there temporarily. Sometimes inventors, musicians, movie directors, etc wait tables to fund the beginning of their more illustrious careers.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:45 AM

29,775 posts, read 34,508,669 times
Quote:
At a lot of great schools the median salary for a college professor is six figures. I guess we're both on the wrong page in terms of what constitutes financial well-being
I work at a university, and the six-figure average is only for a select few of Nobel-prize-winning elite faculty. Most college professors, especially younger ones, are making much less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships