Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 10:52 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,286,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I work at a university, and the six-figure average is only for a select few of Nobel-prize-winning elite faculty. Most college professors, especially younger ones are making much, much less.
And that "much less" is not necessarily "bad."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 10:53 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,109,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
There you go. For money, academics, intellectual, status, his car, etc. you name it. Women normally just won’t show interest in someone from a lower level.
Not so sure it's a blanket lower level avoidance, I think it's when there's too wide a gap between the levels of whatever metric you're considering. For instance, it's a general rule that people don't mesh well as significant others if there's more than 30 points difference in their IQs.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:55 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,438,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post

By the way, I didn't know career waiters actually did exist. I always figured just about all of them were only there temporarily. Sometimes inventors, musicians, movie directors, etc wait tables to fund the beginning of their more illustrious careers.
You'd think, but there are many service industry jobs that people hold for a lifetime.

And there are many that are stepping stones to something else.

But that's not what he was talking about.

I mean, we've all worked service industry to help pay for school, spending money in high school, etc. That's not what we're talking about.

3,184 posts, read 4,852,076 times
Quote:
And that "much less" is not necessarily "bad."
Though not great considering the amount of schooling it takes. Here's what I was going off of:

PayScale - Professor, Postsecondary / Higher Education Salary, Average Salaries by Employer

Perhaps the data is skewed. Either way, 60k a year is enough to be doing well for yourself. Much better than the middle school teacher's 35k.

2,179 posts, read 3,408,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Piano Man by Billy Joel. He absolutely loved that song.
That was a great story about your father. Maybe when that song came on you felt like your dad was sending you a message? Both of my parents are gone and I think I've had that feeling. By the way, I heard recently that Joel wrote that song about a joint he used to play in Koreatown in the 70's, near the corner of Wilshire and Western.. If you're from L.A, I'm sure you know the corner. For some reason I'd always had visions of a Northeastern shore side saloon..

Old 03-31-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
There you go. For money, academics, intellectual, status, his car, etc. you name it. Women normally just won’t show interest in someone from a lower level.
Why on earth would ANYBODY (man or woman) marry someone who was not their intellectual equal (or close to)?

Oh, because men have no interest in actually talking to the woman? Just banging her. Thanks for solving that mystery for me.

Sorry...my favorite times are joking, laughing, talking, debating...not just boinking.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:31 AM

Garfunkle524,
That’s right. That is why I said that a guy who’s not making as much as the Nobel prize teacher is not necessarily “bad”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Why on earth would ANYBODY (man or woman) marry someone who was not their intellectual equal (or close to)?

Oh, because men have no interest in actually talking to the woman? Just banging her. Thanks for solving that mystery for me.

Sorry...my favorite times are joking, laughing, talking, debating...not just boinking.
Don’t ask me, ask all the women who have admitted they prefer to look for men ABOVE their level or at the very least, the same. Like someone else said, you never know if the nice waiter at the coffee shops is a smart guy who’s company went out of business and got cut. But since he’s from a “lower level” (coffee shop waiter vs the woman who’s a doctor, for example) he won’t be given the chance, he’ll get rejected. It is more common to see a male doctor going out with the cute waitress than the other way around. Just because she’s a waiter doesn’t mean she’s dumb. As women said in another thread, men are less complicated to please.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Garfunkle524,
That’s right. That is why I said that a guy who’s not making as much as the Nobel prize teacher is not necessarily “bad”.

Don’t ask me, ask all the women who have admitted they prefer to look for men ABOVE their level or at the very least, the same. Like someone else said, you never know if the nice waiter at the coffee shops is a smart guy who’s company went out of business and got cut. But since he’s from a “lower level” (coffee shop waiter vs the woman who’s a doctor, for example) he won’t be given the chance, he’ll get rejected. It is more common to see a male doctor going out with the cute waitress than the other way around. Just because she’s a waiter doesn’t mean she’s dumb. As women said in another thread, men are less complicated to please.
Based on what you said, it implies that men are more superficial...the man doctor isn't going to pick up the ugly waitress.

Dunno...seems kind of insulting to men.

But keep pigeonholing both sexes like that. So productive and I think you'll go far.

Oh, and btw, I know LOTS of male doctors (being a physician and working with/socializing with other physicians)...every single one of their wives is college-educated. Every. Single. One. That may not be true of every male doctor in existence, but this whole doc meets waitress fantasy of yours is laughable.

The FEMALE physicians are the ones who have hubbies who often don't have nearly as much education or income...

Oh, I guess that just blew your theory out of the water.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:27 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,109,511 times
Quote:
Oh, and btw, I know LOTS of male doctors (being a physician and working with/socializing with other physicians)...every single one of their wives is college-educated. Every. Single. One. That may not be true of every male doctor in existence, but this whole doc meets waitress fantasy of yours is laughable.

The FEMALE physicians are the ones who have hubbies who often don't have nearly as much education or income...
My older sister was Phi Beta Kappa and married a Geriatrician.

My younger sister is working on her DPT and married a carpenter.

What's most important, though, is that I couldn't ask for two better brothers-in-law.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Based on what you said, it implies that men are more superficial...the man doctor isn't going to pick up the ugly waitress
Nope, it implies men are less strict about their preferences than women. Compare what women NORMALLY look for in a man. Someone above their level which means a man that makes more money, higher education/degree, better car, bigger place, more status, etc. Men? A girl that is attractive to his eyes and is nice to hang out with. Like women have agreed, men are more simple to please compared to woman. It seems more superficial for women to judge a man depending on how much money he has when it comes to finding out if he’s from a level above theirs. But hey, it is said that is how psychology works.

Quote:
Oh, and btw, I know LOTS of male doctors (being a physician and working with/socializing with other physicians)...every single one of their wives is college-educated. Every. Single. One. That may not be true of every male doctor in existence, but this whole doc meets waitress fantasy of yours is laughable
It is more laughable for you to deny that women look for men above their own level (more money, etc.). A doctor will still go out with a girl who has a college degree in art or some other thing like that, doesn’t matter. A man seeing a girl from a lower level is as common as women who don’t want to waste their time with a man from a lower level.

Last edited by onihC; 03-31-2011 at 04:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships