Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 12:08 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,002,221 times

Advertisements

Leave. It is only a matter of time before he starts throwing things at you and worse. If you need to talk to someone about this, call the Nat'l Domestic Violence Hotline. They have trained counselors who can walk you through things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 04:46 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,867,681 times
AGREE w/mistygrl......time to focus on a plan to leave safely, with cash, somewhere safe to go and someone you trust to help.....

the abuser does not change behavior, it escalates over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Leave. It is only a matter of time before he starts throwing things at you and worse. If you need to talk to someone about this, call the Nat'l Domestic Violence Hotline. They have trained counselors who can walk you through things.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:57 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary1986 View Post
So many people in thie thread fail to see that i said 2 yrs ago het hit me he has been in therpy he has not hit me Since ,nor cheated yet people in here are ignoring that.Im saying what should you do when he throws things?
A tiger can't change his stripes. He already knows you're going to stick around even if he hits you or cheats on you.

Why do you think he throws things? It's intimidating to you, it keeps you scared of what he might do next.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:10 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,002,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
A tiger can't change his stripes. He already knows you're going to stick around even if he hits you or cheats on you.

Why do you think he throws things? It's intimidating to you, it keeps you scared of what he might do next.
No, he will do this next. Maybe not today, next week, next month, this year, but he WILL throw it at her at some point.

I was in a similar situation. A guy I was involved with threw a heavy object at something and I knew I was next. Due to extraneous circumstances (and of course many rationalizations), I stayed for more than three years. Ultimately, I could not take it anymore. It's over.

He really messed me up. I know if I'd stayed it would have been much worse. The OP (I am guessing) is young and there is time to still get out and have a full life. I recently attended a group for women who have been/are still in those types of relationships. One woman was 75 years old still putting up with it! What a waste of a life!

Old 04-09-2011, 10:16 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,465,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
hate to be negative, but I dont think abusers stop abusing (look at Chris Brown's supposed 'recovery' from being abusive), get out while you can
Abusers can change but it's rare.

To the OP: If he's been abusive, you need to get out. Throwing things is also a major red flag cause it can turn into throwing things at you which can go right back to just plain old hitting you.

Even if he changes, that shouldn't be your concern. Your primary concern is getting out. Trust me.

It's the best decision I ever made. And it's because I left my ex changed and ended her abusive ways.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
AGREE w/mistygrl......time to focus on a plan to leave safely, with cash, somewhere safe to go and someone you trust to help.....

the abuser does not change behavior, it escalates over time.
Exactly, and you staying encourages things to go in that direction. You leaving is a precursor to them changing for the better, if they ever do. As long as you stay, they will remain in their current pattern and things will build up. The first step for change, both for you and him, is you being out of his life.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
No, he will do this next. Maybe not today, next week, next month, this year, but he WILL throw it at her at some point.

I was in a similar situation. A guy I was involved with threw a heavy object at something and I knew I was next. Due to extraneous circumstances (and of course many rationalizations), I stayed for more than three years. Ultimately, I could not take it anymore. It's over.

He really messed me up. I know if I'd stayed it would have been much worse. The OP (I am guessing) is young and there is time to still get out and have a full life. I recently attended a group for women who have been/are still in those types of relationships. One woman was 75 years old still putting up with it! What a waste of a life!
Same here. Almost losing a finger and going deaf from the blows to my head wasn't even enough for me to get out of there. The only thing that got me out of there is when she hit our roommate who's twice her size. That's when I realized how messed up it all was. I had to be on the outside looking into to realize the absurdity of the whole situation.

But now she isn't abusive at all. In fact she's become a wonderful person. She has made a complete 180-degree turn. We talk on the phone every day. We talk about evolving and wanting to do good things. She hasn't hit or had the desire to hit anyone. And all of this couldn't have happened if I didn't leave first.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:58 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,002,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary1986 View Post
So many people in thie thread fail to see that i said 2 yrs ago het hit me he has been in therpy he has not hit me Since ,nor cheated yet people in here are ignoring that.Im saying what should you do when he throws things?
no I have fine reading comprehension, and I read your entire post just fine. The problem is, is that he's now taking his anger out on other things that aren't you. If he continues to do this, he'll eventually hit you instead of throwing that vase you loved so much, or that picture that was so important to you.

You need to seek help. You need to seek some therapy and/or talk to people who have been in abusive relationships such as yours, see how similar there stories are to yours.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:24 AM

378 posts, read 577,060 times
I wonder if she took anything we said to heart.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:53 AM

1,702 posts, read 2,325,014 times
I would think of seperating. Apparently things aren't going well if he is cheating and being abusive.

Last edited by behindthescreen; 04-10-2011 at 05:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships