Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 12:48 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,680,436 times

Advertisements

I feel like this doesn't happen often as none of my friends have ever asked me to do this, but how do you feel about if you were just dating someone and they ask you to let them have the dog stay at your place so that they can spend more time with you?

I understand that the dog needs attention in particular more than your "typical dog", but something feels so off about this request for me. Even the guy himself felt a bit concerned about the request :/

I've dated the guy twice, and the dates went well, but they were also all in his area. We live about 1 hr driving distance from each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2023, 12:57 PM

36,521 posts, read 30,847,571 times
I'm not sure what you are asking.
He wants to leave the dog with you for an extended period so you and the dog can get to know one another? After two dates that does seem weird. I would not leave my dog with someone I have only gone of two dates with. Bondig with the dog at this point is not necessary.

Old 03-14-2023, 12:58 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
I don't fully understand your question. Who is "they" - the guy or the dog?

He has a dog and wants the dog to stay at your place while you two go out?

I either leave my dog at home or we go to a place where you can bring dogs. I left my dog once with someone where my dog was at his place about 10x already and then we went out without the dog. We came back 2 hours later and the small opening to go outdoors for his little dog was now a big hole where both dogs fit through.

Old 03-14-2023, 01:04 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I don't fully understand your question. Who is "they" - the guy or the dog?

He has a dog and wants the dog to stay at your place while you two go out?

I either leave my dog at home or we go to a place where you can bring dogs. I left my dog once with someone where my dog was at his place about 10x already and then we went out without the dog. We came back 2 hours later and the small opening to go outdoors for his little dog was now a big hole where both dogs fit through.
Yes, he wants the dog to stay at my place while we go out. We could be out at a restaurant and the dog would be at my place, or we could be spending time at my place and the dog would be there. That is what he requested.

Old 03-14-2023, 01:08 PM

639 posts, read 378,714 times
Why wouldn't the dog stay at his place?

If he is coming over for a weekend, I guess I could see it. If its just an overnight, no. Probably not.

Just stay at the place where the dog lives. Simple enough.

4,532 posts, read 2,669,541 times
So he can't leave his dog at home for 3 or 4 hours while you go out to dinner and a movie, but instead he thinks he needs to bring the dog with you? First of all, that'll kind of limit your dates (not many nice restaurants and no nightclubs or movie theaters allow dogs) and the inability to separate from the dog for the evening would be a big red flag to me.

I understand his issue - the drive is 1 hour, plus going out, then an hour drive back - that would mean the dog is at least 4-5 hours alone.

However, you guys are too fresh. I think that request is way too early. If you want to be a nice date, you can tell him to bring the dog and you two do something dog friendly.

Old 03-14-2023, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
So you can't leave your dog at home for 3 or 4 hours while you go out to dinner and a movie, but instead you think you need to bring the dog with you? First of all, that'll kind of limit your dates (not many nice restaurants and no nightclubs or movie theaters allow dogs) and the inability to separate from your dog for the evening would be a big red flag to me.
This is all true. However, if the guy is working all day and the dog is alone and then he comes home, changes and leaves the dog alone AGAIN for a long time - that's not really dog friendly either.

You need to consider that he is 2 hours on the road, PLUS then the time he spends with OP.

Old 03-14-2023, 01:11 PM

639 posts, read 378,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I understand his issue - the drive is 1 hour, plus going out, then an hour drive back - that would mean the dog is at least 4-5 hours alone.
This is the norm, actually on a short amount of time, for most every working adult. 8-10 hours, a walk when you get home, then another bit. I wouldn't want that to be the case every day, but people don't have dates every day.

Old 03-14-2023, 01:14 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,148,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
I feel like this doesn't happen often as none of my friends have ever asked me to do this, but how do you feel about if you were just dating someone and they ask you to let them have the dog stay at your place so that they can spend more time with you?

I understand that the dog needs attention in particular more than your "typical dog", but something feels so off about this request for me. Even the guy himself felt a bit concerned about the request :/

I've dated the guy twice, and the dates went well, but they were also all in his area. We live about 1 hr driving distance from each other.
Is the guy going to be spending the night with you, or is he staying at a hotel? Could he get a neighbor to let the dog out, etc?

It feels kind of pushy to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships