Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 01:31 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,679,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Would the dog be kenneled if it was at your house? I would worry about a dog being in MY (a stranger's) home because I think it would cause the dog anxiety, and if the dog has anxiety, I would worry that it would tear my place up, or have accidents, etc.
No, it would be loose.

I am concerned about accidents even though it's potty trained.
The dog seems to have anxiety issues even from being in the owner's home due to it coming from the rescue and it being in SC originally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2023, 01:36 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,961,186 times
I would probably say that I am doing the driving in the beginning but he needs to pay for what you are doing. That sounds fair.

And once it has been a while, then he can come over and bring the dog. And then do mostly dog friendly stuff. My prior dog had bad anxiety and felt at home in my car. So I could leave her in the car sleeping while I went into a restaurant or anything else that wasn't that long (of course the temperatures need to be mild).

Old 03-14-2023, 01:43 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Hire someone to come and walk the dog and spend time with her. It's what I do if going to be gone for a fair amount of time.

Old 03-14-2023, 01:46 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,303,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
No, it would be loose.

I am concerned about accidents even though it's potty trained.
The dog seems to have anxiety issues even from being in the owner's home due to it coming from the rescue and it being in SC originally.
If the person you are dating has a dog, this ^^^^ is going to be a recurrent issue and you need to figure out something that will work. I agree this dog might have some problems initially with anxiety because the dog doesn't really know you or your home yet. So initially I wouldn't leave the dog at your place unattended for any extended periods until the dog feels more comfortable with you and your place. I think I might do stuff like get pizza delivered to your home and then do some activities with this guy where you can bring along the dog and the dog can get used to you, your place and your smells.

If you don't feel comfortable dating someone who lives this far away with a pet and the hassles involved in this situation this also might be the time to end things too.

Old 03-14-2023, 01:56 PM

2,073 posts, read 1,041,499 times
Quote:
I feel like this doesn't happen often as none of my friends have ever asked me to do this, but how do you feel about if you were just dating someone and they ask you to let them have the dog stay at your place so that they can spend more time with you?

I understand that the dog needs attention in particular more than your "typical dog", but something feels so off about this request for me. Even the guy himself felt a bit concerned about the request :/

I've dated the guy twice, and the dates went well, but they were also all in his area. We live about 1 hr driving distance from each other.
Two good dates do not constitute cohabitating with his dog. Stop and think a minute. That is ridiculous. Now, in case I misunderstood something... if he wants to bring the dog with him when he comes to visit, that's a different thing.

In the event he stays the weekend, will the dog be inside or out? Do you have pets? Do you like dogs? Are you OK with a dog staying inside your house? There are so many questions here, but if you have actually had two dates with this guy, and he wants to "move his dog in with you" there is an ulterior motive here somewhere. That is rude, it's presumptuous, it's way to forward at this point. Way to fast.

You can bet something is amiss here, and it's probably that he has to move out of his place soon and he wants to keep his dog. Hmmm....... I dunno. Strange for sure. Don't do it.

Old 03-14-2023, 01:59 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,679,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I would probably say that I am doing the driving in the beginning but he needs to pay for what you are doing. That sounds fair.

And once it has been a while, then he can come over and bring the dog. And then do mostly dog friendly stuff. My prior dog had bad anxiety and felt at home in my car. So I could leave her in the car sleeping while I went into a restaurant or anything else that wasn't that long (of course the temperatures need to be mild).
Great ideas!
Even though he has his own place by himself, he is particularly concerned about finances beyond the second date and in about a month, he's going to the Bahamas :/ It'll be his first time on vacation out of the country- so I'm happy that he's having this experience. He doesn't seem open to different kinds of food though. Feels like his travel will be all tours and resorts. My family is all about tours, but I am open to other possibilities personally.

It might sound overly tacky to ask for money for dating someone though. So maybe asking for car to be filled or being treated if we are out to dinner would be appropriate. It feels like this really should be coming from the date himself rather than from me though.

Old 03-14-2023, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Great ideas!
Even though he has his own place by himself, he is particularly concerned about finances beyond the second date and in about a month, he's going to the Bahamas :/ It'll be his first time on vacation out of the country- so I'm happy that he's having this experience. He doesn't seem open to different kinds of food though. Feels like his travel will be all tours and resorts. My family is all about tours, but I am open to other possibilities personally.
huh? Can you elaborate?

Two dates and he is already worried about how expensive the next ones will be?? I don't mind paying for some dates, I always offer or sharing but if he brings up money he "has" to pay, that is an instant dealbreaker for me.

First trip out of the country, oh my.

Old 03-14-2023, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I understand his issue - the drive is 1 hour, plus going out, then an hour drive back - that would mean the dog is at least 4-5 hours alone.

However, you guys are too fresh. I think that request is way too early. If you want to be a nice date, you can tell him to bring the dog and you two do something dog friendly.
So who keeps the dog when he works? That doesn't make sense. The dog can't be alone for 4 hours? Really? I only know one person who does that and she actually enables her dog. He gets separation anxiety and tears up the place if she leaves. She has never joined us for girls night and she never leaves her house. It's just her and her dog.

So this dog has already become a pain in the ass and it's only been 2 dates.

Old 03-14-2023, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Great ideas!

It might sound overly tacky to ask for money for dating someone though. So maybe asking for car to be filled or being treated if we are out to dinner would be appropriate. It feels like this really should be coming from the date himself rather than from me though.
So, he's got a vaca planned and nobody to keep the dog, now it all makes sense. Bahamas! And you can dog sit!

Old 03-14-2023, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsamillion View Post
So who keeps the dog when he works? That doesn't make sense. The dog can't be alone for 4 hours? Really? I only know one person who does that and she actually enables her dog. He gets separation anxiety and tears up the place if she leaves. She has never joined us for girls night and she never leaves her house. It's just her and her dog.

So this dog has already become a pain in the ass and it's only been 2 dates.
Lol.

Well, their dates have been very long, the drive is long and they plan overnight dates ...

And if he is gone all day at work and then he is gone all evening and night - I get his concern. OP doesn't seem to be a dog lover. I always encourage my dates to bring their dogs. If we work out, the dog will be part of my life then anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships