Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2011, 12:18 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,219,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
is there anything better than a satisfying session on the throne?
Happy Turdsday

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc271/Thursday_007/fish-bowl-toilet.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-21-2011, 04:07 AM

Today is April 21, and is National Kindergarten Day.

In addition to being our first exposure to the ways and means of the world around us, Kindergaten was also our first expedition to our creativity, relationships, our sense of humor and overcoming our fears.

But there really is no need to re-invent the wheel, we can just look to one of my favorite authors, Robert Fulgham, who wrote the bible on the subject called, "Everything I Ever Needed To Know I Learned In Kindergarten."

He states that wisdom is not at the top of the list, but rather in the sandpiles of Sunday school.

Share everything.

Play fair.

Don't hit people.

Put things back where you found them.

Clean up your own mess.

Don't take things that are not yours.

Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody.

http://robertfulghum.com/index.php/f..._kindergarten/

Last edited by JustJulia; 04-21-2011 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: Copyrighted work

Old 04-21-2011, 04:20 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,455,683 times
I remember when I was in Kindergarten that the teacher would force all the children to take a nap after lunch. All the kids were sleeping while I was wired waiting for naptime to be over so I could move around. I always wondered how those kids could possibly get some shuteye in a public place.

Other than that, kindergarten was pretty cool. At the end of the schoolyear the teacher awarded me a bag of school supplies for being the best behaved kid in class. The truth was that I was really quiet and had little desire for talking .

Old 04-21-2011, 08:23 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,643,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Today is April 21, and is National Kindergarten Day.

...Share everything.

Play fair.

Don't hit people...
So what do we do when we enter the real world and no-one else is doing that? Talk about hitting a wall at 60MPH...

Who is going to go first? Not me...I'm done being a martyr.

Quote:
Think about what a better day it would be if we all had cookies and milk around 3 o'clock and then lay down with our blankies and take a nap. Or if government had the basic policy to always put things back where they found them and cleaned up their own mess. And it still holds true, no matter how old you are - when you go out into the world it's still best to hold hands and stick together.
OK, I have to admit that I DO practice a somewhat similar philosophy...
  • I have weed and Scotch at 4:20, then lay down with my women and have a "nap".
  • Government? WHAT government? We have a government?!?
  • Holding hands and sticking together...well, that pretty lady on the subway didn't seem to agree with me. Neither did Officer O'Malley. Or Judge Pistonhammer.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
So what do we do when we enter the real world and no-one else is doing that? Talk about hitting a wall at 60MPH...

Who is going to go first? Not me...I'm done being a martyr.

OK, I have to admit that I DO practice a somewhat similar philosophy...
  • I have weed and Scotch at 4:20, then lay down with my women and have a "nap".
  • Government? WHAT government? We have a government?!?
  • Holding hands and sticking together...well, that pretty lady on the subway didn't seem to agree with me. Neither did Officer O'Malley. Or Judge Pistonhammer.
Boy, oh geez, oh man Phil you do need to be monkified. They are all metaphors. Hold hands and stick together means cherish your friendships, the people in your life and lean on each other in times of trouble (i.e, crossing the street).

But, if you want to take these literal, my dad once told me to never hit anyone unless you know for sure you'd knock them out completely otherwise you'd just p*ss them off even more.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:38 AM

http://www.qwantz.com/fanart/dino-zen.png

Old 04-21-2011, 08:45 AM

37,698 posts, read 46,121,679 times
I hope someone slaps me if I ever even LOOK at a russian olive shrub in a garden center, again. I just chopped down two of them - I planted them years ago as part of a hedge - and obviously I didn't educate myself on them before doing so. I have had to maul those things every year for the past five years...they have taken over and crushed the ligustrum and cleyera next to them. So, after helping my boyfriend yank his out last weekend (with his truck - his were over 12 feet high!), I realized that mine needed to go. I just finished spending the last hour and a half chopping them down to stumps. Now I gotta go get the axe to take out the stumps. Yeesh. Never again!

Old 04-21-2011, 08:53 AM

Your outdoor escapades sound like mine Chess. I bought this bush that has those curly branches on them and this gosh darn thing wasn't a bush at all but a HUGE tree which was now too close to the house and I was cutting the limbs back and selling them to flower shops. It was going to ruin my new roof I had to have it chopped down and when they came out to do it - broke two of my basement windows.

When I first moved in here there was some wretched landscaping out front and there were some yew bushes before the porch. We did what you did, backed the truck up to put a rope around it and when I went to tie the rope - I picked up that whole yew bush out of the ground with just my bare hands.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:10 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,754,151 times
Oh, we slaughtered our yew bushes out front last summer. Those things were probably 40+ years old, with roots that are NEVER coming out. Those bushes were nearly eight feet deep (front to back, not into the ground)! Our neighborhood was built on piles of granite put down to make it somewhat hilly (former farmland), and the yew roots were giant, permanent tangle.

We had a nice big flower bed afterward, and we planted two trees and some shrubs. We were cautioned not to plant the Japanese maple too close to the house, as people are wont to do. My inlaws planted one that must be only two feet from their house. Where's it supposed to grow??

Old 04-21-2011, 09:10 AM

37,698 posts, read 46,121,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Your outdoor escapades sound like mine Chess. I bought this bush that has those curly branches on them and this gosh darn thing wasn't a bush at all but a HUGE tree which was now too close to the house and I was cutting the limbs back and selling them to flower shops. It was going to ruin my new roof I had to have it chopped down and when they came out to do it - broke two of my basement windows.

When I first moved in here there was some wretched landscaping out front and there were some yew bushes before the porch. We did what you did, backed the truck up to put a rope around it and when I went to tie the rope - I picked up that whole yew bush out of the ground with just my bare hands.
There's a lot to be said for spending some time researching what to plant and where, right? I'm going to have to get my neighbor to split a bill with me when I have his tree trimmed. His river birch is right next to my fence, and it's now dropping so many branches and leaves in my yard - the cleanup is too much. Plus it's now touching my roof - and I have no plans to be cleaning leaves out of my gutters from someone else's tree!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.