Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 09:11 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,582,256 times

Advertisements

I'm swedish but pretty much the same goes for finnish people as swedish.

Rule #1: to get to know a person you need to have been drunk with him/her
Rule #2: to get to know a person you need to have been drunk with him/her
Rule #3: to get to know a person you need to have been drunk with him/her
Rule #4: A non drinker is a poor excuse of a scandinavian. No such thing.

Beer and vodka should do it.(and remember he can probably drink more than anyone else you know)

Once this have passed your contact is on a whole new level and he'll be ready to go ahead.
this is to cancel out what someone said; "making him talk will be a victory in itself."

Especially if you want to get physical then alcohol pretty much makes that part guaranteed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 09:15 AM

19,383 posts, read 15,220,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
My sister-in-law's father is Finnish and he's a very taciturn man.

I thought it was just him (Or me) until I saw this report on 60 Minutes several years ago:

YouTube - 60 Minutes About Finland (Tango Finlandia)
That's funny, I remember my mom had seen this, too, and had told me about it but couldn't remember which country it was. We joked about how it would be the perfect place for us to live. So thanks, cpg.

OP, sorry I don't have any input for your original post.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:20 AM

30,996 posts, read 22,045,160 times
My sister dated a Finnish guy for a long time and said he was a cold fish in the sack. Not enough alcohol I imagine!

Old 05-13-2011, 11:23 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,046,564 times
That documentary was HI-LAR-I-OUS! I'm sure that wasn't intentional but I was cracking up

here's another good one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNnyV...eature=related

Old 05-13-2011, 01:21 PM

20 posts, read 44,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefetio View Post
That documentary was HI-LAR-I-OUS! I'm sure that wasn't intentional but I was cracking up

here's another good one

YouTube - Miss Jay - About Finland
During my university days, we used to have a Finnish guy in the same department, he was extremely quiet, I mean really really quiet, never spoke to anyone male or female, used to live in the same apartment complex as us, but never showed to any party even when invited, always used to say that he had some research work, heck I have never ever seen him smile either, I thought he was an introvert, didn't know most Finnish people were that way, the documentary seems to say so.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:54 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,582,256 times
It's the same thing in northern sweden... It's still in me even though I've been living down south for a while now...

If I'm gonna be social I have to actively chose to be, otherwise I only talk instinctively when I have something in mind that I want to communicate.
People around always find all kinds of bull**** to talk about, I hardly understand the point to be honest.

It's like people are afraid of a little quietness...

Old 05-13-2011, 05:57 PM

193 posts, read 449,935 times
I am laughing so hard at some of the responses/videos here, I can barely type. I need to come back to this later.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:54 AM

193 posts, read 449,935 times
Well, thank you all for your entertaining input and advice. Jefetio, that Jay Alexander video, and SwedishViking's posts, just hilarious.

It seems that being shy, quiet and cautious about making friends is part of that culture. That's kinda what I adore about him. In Washington, D.C., men can be so full of themselves and always bragging about who and what they know, where they went to school, etc and don't take time to listen. (sorry if this offends men in my area). He is the opposite of that. He is very chill, a good listener, self-deprecating, and not a show-off. I had to use the jaws of life to get out of him what languages he speaks and it was quite a few. I know for sure he is not married and he told that he is not in a relationship, though he could be lying. I don't get the gay vibe from him.

Nevertheless, I have decided that I am not going to make any more effort. Even though he has always been quite chatty with me, I am getting tired of always initiating contact. I am pretty shy too so it is kinda hard for me. I am not even holding out that we'll be friends after he leaves. If he can't get into contact when we live and work about 5 miles from each other, I don't think it will happen from 5,000 or so miles away. I am better off spending this kinda of energy on men who reciprocate.

For the dinner, I am following Marissy's advice (thanks for the reality check). I am just going to be friendly and not hope for or try for anything more. It'll just be an evening with nice conversation that doesn't lead to anything more. He will have to jump me if he wants more to happen.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:24 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoTheNut View Post
Well, thank you all for your entertaining input and advice. Jefetio, that Jay Alexander video, and SwedishViking's posts, just hilarious.

It seems that being shy, quiet and cautious about making friends is part of that culture. That's kinda what I adore about him. In Washington, D.C., men can be so full of themselves and always bragging about who and what they know, where they went to school, etc and don't take time to listen. (sorry if this offends men in my area). He is the opposite of that. He is very chill, a good listener, self-deprecating, and not a show-off. I had to use the jaws of life to get out of him what languages he speaks and it was quite a few. I know for sure he is not married and he told that he is not in a relationship, though he could be lying. I don't get the gay vibe from him.

Nevertheless, I have decided that I am not going to make any more effort. Even though he has always been quite chatty with me, I am getting tired of always initiating contact. I am pretty shy too so it is kinda hard for me. I am not even holding out that we'll be friends after he leaves. If he can't get into contact when we live and work about 5 miles from each other, I don't think it will happen from 5,000 or so miles away. I am better off spending this kinda of energy on men who reciprocate.

For the dinner, I am following Marissy's advice (thanks for the reality check). I am just going to be friendly and not hope for or try for anything more. It'll just be an evening with nice conversation that doesn't lead to anything more. He will have to jump me if he wants more to happen.
Yep, that's their only let-off from their depressing jobs picking the rectum of their bosses and keeping it clean

A lot of these guys are government job rats.

They always make me smile about their constant rants about where they went to school. Like this guy in my present job who is so proud of having been to an ivy league school, he even has it in his car and alumnus souvenirs all over his cube - in an otherwise depressing job where he processes spreadsheets 8 am to 5 pm

And he has an MBA. Guys like me won't even take this kind of job if employers beg us to

Naturally, their only release is the sole thing they think is an achievement - their school and the department they work in.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:18 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times
From what I've heard about Finnish culture (which is only secondhand experience at best), I'd think I'd do great in it other than the fact that I'm not a heavy drinker -- its supposed to be a culture that is frank and honest, not boastful, speaking when you feel genuinely wanting to speak and not one where a person goes out of their way to ask/judge/care about others' personal lives until they are very intimate friends (though I realize they may be all stereotypes).

Cultures differ quite a lot in attitude, and from what I've heard the United States tends to be a more extroverted one, and the Finnish one an introverted one.

Last edited by Stumbler.; 05-14-2011 at 04:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships