Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How important to you is cooking ability in a potential girlfriend / wife?
The single most important thing 2 2.38%
Very important 15 17.86%
Somewhat important 28 33.33%
Not important at all 22 26.19%
People still choose their girlfriends / wives based on their cooking? 17 20.24%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 02:29 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,216,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Huh? thats part of the job
What job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 02:38 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,704,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
The women I know who don't cook aren't likely to ever run out of money, they have more in the bank than most make in 10 lifetimes. If they did somehow run out of money, obviously they would start cooking, but for the time being they don't need to do what you do, and stretch out a chicken for 3 meals. They are excellent parents and their children are amazing, beautiful, healthy, respectful children who adore their parents. A person certainly can be an excellent parent and never cook a meal!

Beta male? That's very sexist and insulting to call a man who chooses to take care of his family a lesser man. I live in 2011 where stay at home husbands are as respected as stay at home wives. I live in a world where men and women are partners in life, women do their own interesting things and make their own money, they don't need a man to do that for them. BTW, I know a very high earning lawyer who cooks for his family every night. Some choose to live by gender stereotypes, that's fine, I'm not insulting those people, it seems they don't return the favor and feel free to insult anyone who doesn't live the way they do. I make more money than you, I guarantee that, and I know nothing about you. So don't try to pull the income card on me - you fill fail.

The initial post stated a woman is not a good MOTHER if she doesn't cook. It was an admitted sexist post by someone who only wants a woman who stays home while he works. I disagree with this idea and choose a more progressive way of life. If someone holds sexist views, and feels it's only important for a mother to know how to cook, and not a father, that's fine. We live in a free country, people can think whatever they want, and try to find a partner who agrees, just don't deny that it's sexist and relying on stereotypes.
I don't stretch out a chicken for three meals because I have to, I do it because it is a skill that I am proud of. Anyone who reads Jacques Pepin's book The Apprentice does the same, as a for instance. It's about a respect for food, and a joy of working with what you have.

Don't try to pull the snobby income card on me either, because I guarantee that I make a lot more money than you. Guaranteed. In fact, I probably earn more money than you entire household, combined. Don't even try to go there. Money is irrelevant to the point of being able to feed yourself and your offspring.

You aren't a good mother if you can't cook a decent, healthy meal for your children. Period. I am sorry that it upsets you, but it is the truth. Think back to when you were 5 and would read a book showing a mother bird with her babies. She would be dangling a worm into the mouths of her babies. Why? Because feeding your offspring is an important part of motherhood. To deny this point is ridiculous.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I don't stretch out a chicken for three meals because I have to, I do it because it is a skill that I am proud of. Anyone who reads Jacques Pepin's book The Apprentice does the same, as a for instance. It's about a respect for food, and a joy of working with what you have.

Don't try to pull the snobby income card on me either, because I guarantee that I make a lot more money than you. Guaranteed. Don't even try to go there, you will lose.

You aren't a good mother if you can't cook a decent, healthy meal for your children. Period. I am sorry that it upsets you, but it is the truth. Think back to when you were 5 and would read a book showing a mother bird with her babies. She would be dangling a worm into the mouths of her babies. Why? Because feeding your offspring is an important part of motherhood. To deny this point is ridiculous.
Good for you if you are proud of the chicken thing, a lot of women don't care about things like that, I have many skills that I am proud of. No one was being snobby, except you now bragging about your income.

It is not the TRUTH, it's your OPINION, and nothing more. My opinion is that a great mother need never cook as long as they have other ways of seeing thier children are fed. Humans are not birds, BTW, male birds feed the babies too, equally, in many species, the bird in the book was just as likely the father. Other animals actually hunt for their food, and kill it with their teeth, we buy it, does that make us lesser parents? I think not, to compare us to any animal is ridiculous. PARENTS, male and female are responsible for seeing that their children are fed, it doesn't matter one bit who cooks the food, I've met the amazing kids that prove this.

Last edited by detshen; 05-29-2011 at 03:05 PM..

Old 05-29-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Good for you if you are proud of the chicken thing, a lot of women don't care about things like that, I have many skills that I am proud of. No one was being snobby, except you now bragging about your income.

It is not the TRUTH, it's your OPINION, and nothing more. My opinion is that a great mother need never cook as long as they have other ways of seeing thier children are fed. Humans are not birds, BTW, male birds feed the babies too, equally, in many species. Other animals actually hunt for their food, and kill it with their teeth, we buy it, does that make us lesser parents? I think not, to compare us to any animal is ridiculous. PARENTS, male and female are responsible for seeing that their children are fed, it doesn't matter one bit who cooks the food, I've met the amazing kids that prove this.
No, you are the one who went into income on this thread, anyone can scroll back and read about how your friends are rich and awesome and therefore don't need to cook. And poor me, needing to actually eat the chicken I buy, as opposed to throwing it in the garbage, because I'm not rich like your crowd. you went there, not me.

And here is a new flash: as a human, you ARE an animal. And yes, you are less of a parent than other animals if you can't feed your kids without being able to buy some help. It is really pathetic, and in some situations dangerous, to not be able to provide for your offspring if the going gets tough.

The news stories you have heard lately about natural disasters? Tornadoes? Tsunamis? Floods? Part of the story is that parents often have to feed their kids without help, money, refrigeration. Are you up to the task if you don't cook? What would you do in a situation in which you can't pull food & water out of the earth in order to feed your family? What do you tell your kids? Sorry, stay hungry, and hopefully the government will appear soon to help us out? Sorry, what a losing strategy.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
No, you are the one who went into income on this thread, anyone can scroll back and read about how your friends are rich and awesome and therefore don't need to cook. And poor me, needing to actually eat the chicken I buy, as opposed to throwing it in the garbage, because I'm not rich like your crowd. you went there, not me.

And here is a new flash: as a human, you ARE an animal. And yes, you are less of a parent than other animals if you can't feed your kids without being able to buy some help. It is really pathetic, and in some situations dangerous, to not be able to provide for your offspring if the going gets tough.

The news stories you have heard lately about natural disasters? Tornadoes? Tsunamis? Floods? Part of the story is that parents often have to feed their kids without help, money, refrigeration. Are you up to the task if you don't cook? What would you do in a situation in which you can't pull food & water out of the earth in order to feed your family? What do you tell your kids? Sorry, stay hungry, and hopefully the government will appear soon to help us out? Sorry, what a losing strategy.
I was stating the fact that they don't need to cook because they can afford to buy it, or have someone prepare it. That disproves the idea that a good parent must cook. I never said I do this, or that rich people are "awesome," or better than anyone else.

Yes, humans are animals, but you cannot deny that we buy food, we have machines to help us do many things, we use tools, that's what the human animal does. I don't care of you thinks it's pathetic that someone chooses not to cook, again it's only your OPINION. It's very arrogant to state opinions as facts.

Do you grow, raise, harvest and slaughter ALL your food, or do you go to the grocery store? In a disaster the grocery store could be destroyed, if not, the food will still disappear fast, you will be dependent on other people's help bringing you food, and most likely you will be eating a lot of sandwiches, and food that doesn't require cooking. Talking about disaster isn't the point anyway, if someone finds themselves in a situation where the need to cook, they will, it's not hard to feed someone, that doesn't change the fact that barring some unlikely event, many mothers don't ever need to cook to raise happy healthy children.

Last edited by detshen; 05-29-2011 at 03:28 PM..

Old 05-29-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I was stating the fact that they don't need to cook because they can afford to buy it, or have someone prepare it. That disproves the idea that a good parent must cook. I never said I do this, or that rich people are "awesome."

Yes, humans are animals, but you cannot deny that we buy food, we have machines to help us do many things, we use tools, that's what the human animal does. I don't care of you thinks it's pathetic that someone chooses not to cook, again it's only your OPINION. It's very arrogant to state opinions as facts. Do you grow, raise, harvest and slaughter ALL your food, or do you go to the grocery store? In a disaster the grocery store could be destroyed, if not, the food will still disappear fast, you will be dependent on other people's help bringing you food, and most likely you will be eating a lot of sandwiches, and food that doesn't require cooking.
So what you are saying is, a parent need not take on the responsibility of providing for his/her children. It is ok for them to do so long as it is convenient, but if trouble happens, it isn't a parent's problem. If feeding a child only entails driving to the supermarket or fast food joint and forking out a bit of cash, you are on board, but anything beyond that, it isn't your responsibility to do that as a parent. Surely someone will swing by with some Wonder bread and bologna, because if they don't, I guess your kids have a problem.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
So what you are saying is, a parent need not take on the responsibility of providing for his/her children. It is ok for them to do so long as it is convenient, but if trouble happens, it isn't a parent's problem. If feeding a child only entails driving to the supermarket or fast food joint and forking out a bit of cash, you are on board, but anything beyond that, it isn't your responsibility to do that as a parent. Surely someone will swing by with some Wonder bread and bologna, because if they don't, I guess your kids have a problem.
Stop being ridiculous, nothing in my posts said that, please read posts carefully before replying. I have said over and over again that a good parent provides for their children and makes sure they are fed, in normal circumstances this does not require cooking, it's a simple point that you, for some reason feel the need to argue endlessly about. In emergency circumstances taking care of children still probably won't require cooking, it's unlikely there would be stoves around if everything else is gone. In emergency circumstances parents will do whatever they have to do, and most likely they will need help, being able to cook is useless if there is no food. I asked if you use the supermarket or do you grow and slaughter your own chickens like a non human mother animal would.

Last edited by detshen; 05-29-2011 at 03:54 PM..

Old 05-29-2011, 03:47 PM

11,448 posts, read 14,498,586 times
I cook and so does my wife. Sometimes we cook together.

I could not be with somebody who didn't cook, or just ate frozen dinners/fast food as a meal.

My wife is a great cook though, so if there was anybody after her it would be difficult if they couldn't contribute to great eating. However I don't see it in terms of something they should be doing as their "duty." That's just dumb.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Stop being ridiculous, nothing in my posts said that, please read posts carefully before replying. I have said over and over again that a good parent provides for their children and makes sure they are fed, in normal circumstances this does not require cooking, it's a simple point that you, for some reason feel the need to argue endlessly about. In emergency circumstances taking care of children still probably won't require cooking, it's unlikely there would be stoves around if everything else is gone. In emergency circumstances parents will do whatever they have to do, and most likely they will need help, being able to cook is useless if there is no food. I asked if you use the supermarket or do you grow and slaughter your own chickens like a non human mother animal would.
I find it odd that you are clinging to the notion that it is ok to be useless and helpless as an adult, but that's your prerogative. I don't need a stove to feed myself, but then again, I believe it is a useful skill to be able to cook without a stove and you don't.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:00 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,292,819 times
My schedule is more flexible than hers. Ergo, I do almost all the cooking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships