Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How important to you is cooking ability in a potential girlfriend / wife?
The single most important thing 2 2.38%
Very important 15 17.86%
Somewhat important 28 33.33%
Not important at all 22 26.19%
People still choose their girlfriends / wives based on their cooking? 17 20.24%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 12:30 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,216,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSnook View Post
Back from ancient times, humans have been genetically wired to survive and pass on their genes. Humans didn't wear clothes. A female's role in the family has always been to nurture and care for the offspring. A male's role was to protect the pack and kill for food.

Food is the most primitive thing to a human. It is the most important thing for survival for any animal, including humans. Just because society has evolved, and we can now pay for killed for food or prepared food, doesn't change the importance of it.

The inability to cook is quite simply neglecting one of the fundamental skills of human survival in any gender. Your "cook" would have a higher chance for survival and ability to pass down their genes than you.

While a few guys won't care if you can cook, it goes without saying that the ability to cook a good meal, would only help your chances with any guy, and vice versa for guys with girls.
It was also part of a females role to grow and gather food, yet few women today grow their own food, and go searching through the woods for berries and nuts. The idea of "day care/nannies" is actually quite ancient some staying behind to care for the the young children while the other women went searching for food, people couldn't survive with all the women staying at home cooking, and cleaning, it was rare for a male to bring home meat, most food was gathered. The nuclear family with the woman staying at home is a very new concept. What happened in ancient times doesn't mean that much for what happens today. We evolve to suit our times. Today a woman with a good income might be more valuable to her families survival than one who can cook, there are plenty of families surviving on the woman's income right now, that's our reality. If a major disaster happens being able to grow food will be much more valuable than cooking, much food doesn't even need to be cooked, and as the other poster stated, anyone can make basic food.

Last edited by detshen; 05-31-2011 at 01:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 12:40 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,804,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Today a woman with a good income is much more valuable to her families survival than one who can cook, that's our reality.
I disagree with this. I work, but I also plan the menu and do almost all the cooking. We could eat more cheaply on the McDonald's dollar menu or generic mac & cheese everyday, but it's not worth my family's health and it wouldn't save that much money in the short run anyway. A family's survival depends very much on the food they eat, in my view anyway.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:47 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,410,599 times
I find it hilarious that post after post talks about "nutritious meals." America is the most morbidly obese nation on earth, few people do any exercise, people are sedentary beyond belief.

But suddenly "nutrition" becomes paramont in importance when discussing cooking. What are guys preparing, carrots with no olive oil?

Old 05-31-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I disagree with this. I work, but I also plan the menu and do almost all the cooking. We could eat more cheaply on the McDonald's dollar menu or generic mac & cheese everyday, but it's not worth my family's health and it wouldn't save that much money in the short run anyway. A family's survival depends very much on the food they eat, in my view anyway.
What I'm saying is that if your mate were to lose his job, and you had one that would be much more valuable to your families basic survival than being a great cook. All over this country women are working to support their families because men are out of work, or not earning a good income, and without her income there would be no money to even buy food, let alone cook it.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:49 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,765,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I find it hilarious that post after post talks about "nutritious meals." America is the most morbidly obese nation on earth, few people do any exercise, people are sedentary beyond belief.

But suddenly "nutrition" becomes paramont in importance when discussing cooking. What are guys preparing, carrots with no olive oil?
We actually cook very heathfully, and exercise together regularly.

Ability to prepare meals involving non-garbage actually IS important to me. Anybody can heat something up out of a box or can or microwaveable blister pack and call it good. And that's fine for basic subsistence, I suppose, if the alternative is starving. But I prefer to eat well, and value a partner who can and will cook/prepare food that way with me.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:58 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,804,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
What I'm saying is that if your mate were to lose his job, and you had one that would be much more valuable to your families basic survival than being a great cook. All over this country women are working to support their families because men are out of work, or not earning a good income, and without her income there would be no money to even buy food, let alone cook it.
Yes and no. I do feel that both spouses in many families work to live a certain lifestyle, or simply because they both enjoy working. It's not as if both always work out of sheer necessity. Sometimes they do, sometimes not. Sometimes one spouse loses a job and they learn how to make it work, whether by moving or simply altering their budget, particularly when children are involved.

I do not have a problem with parents or spouses who work outside the home; I'm not saying one way is better than the other. Just that I disagree that cooking cannot be as valuable as making money.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Yes and no. I do feel that both spouses in many families work to live a certain lifestyle, or simply because they both enjoy working. It's not as if both always work out of sheer necessity. Sometimes they do, sometimes not. Sometimes one spouse loses a job and they learn how to make it work, whether by moving or simply altering their budget, particularly when children are involved.

I do not have a problem with parents or spouses who work outside the home; I'm not saying one way is better than the other. Just that I disagree that cooking cannot be as valuable as making money.
Okay, I get what you are saying, being able to cook well is a very valuable skill. Most people, at least sometimes pay other people a significant amount of money to do it, either at a restaurant, or in their home if they can afford it. People can save a lot of money always cooking well for themselves, but some people can afford the expense, and they wish to spend their time other ways, either choice is valid.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:40 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,299,109 times
I can cook. Very well, actually. I don't enjoy it enough to do it more than once or twice a week, though, if that much. If it happens to be a night where I'm seeing my SO, he'll benefit. If not, oh well. I told him if he wanted a woman to cook for him, he needs to find another woman. I'm just not into the whole June Cleaver thing.

And if a man expects me to cook for him? He's outta there! Sorry, but it's only fun when it's my idea.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:10 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,765,936 times
I'm actually totally into the whole June Cleaver thing. But given that I need to bring in an income, it's not gonna happen. 'Tis life.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm actually totally into the whole June Cleaver thing. But given that I need to bring in an income, it's not gonna happen. 'Tis life.

Have you ever done it full time? Some women like it and are happy, but many are surprised that they don't feel fully satisfied by it, and miss working. Many end up returning to work at least part time. My mother was a full time homemaker, June Cleaveresqe, but w/o the dresses and perfect hair, no way she would bother with all that. She actually wanted to get a part time job, but my dad felt only one spouse should work, and it should be the one who made the most money. He was great, and very fair, after he retired they split up all the housework, and my dad always did his share, because he felt my mom should have some retirement too.

Last edited by detshen; 05-31-2011 at 02:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships