Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 01:50 PM

946 posts, read 2,918,857 times

Advertisements

I was looking at the relationship I have with two family members and how they differ. They're both older, and one of them is the type I can walk all over, play practical jokes on, tell her to do things for me, joke about her appearance, etc., and the other I wouldn't even dream of doing those things to. She has the kind of air you don't want to mess with, a very strong demeanor. Is it something you're born with or is it something you earn and has to do with your attitude?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 01:55 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Well, I have to say that if--to use your own words--you are walking all over someone, playing practical jokes on them, barking orders, and saying disparaging things about the way she looks, then that says a lot more about you than it does about her. Sounds like the second person has your number and won't put up with it.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:59 PM

I said she's the type of person I could do those things to, and in the past I have, something I'm not proud of lol, but not anymore. She would put up with it.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
I said she's the type of person I could do those things to, and in the past I have, something I'm not proud of lol, but not anymore. She would put up with it.
Well, that person probably has terrible self-esteem, and you have contributed to it.

If you were a person truly sorry about what you've done, I think you should tell her that. That would be an excellent first step towards helping her be strong and self-assured.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, that person probably has terrible self-esteem, and you have contributed to it.

If you were a person truly sorry about what you've done, I think you should tell her that. That would be an excellent first step towards helping her be strong and self-assured.
You're right, but when it's really easy to treat a person a certain way because they allow it, sometimes you can't help doing it. But I agree it's not nice, I've matured.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:18 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,085,077 times
I get why your commenting on the one, easily duped one. But why the other? Looking to increase your power base?

Old 05-29-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
I get why your commenting on the one, easily duped one. But why the other? Looking to increase your power base?
You didn't even read my question.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
You're right, but when it's really easy to treat a person a certain way because they allow it, sometimes you can't help doing it. But I agree it's not nice, I've matured.
Yes, but if you are even thinking of people in those terms, I'm offering that you haven't matured enough. Even though you haven't acted on it lately, you're saying that you're still mentally dividing the world into those who are pushovers and those who are not. Not a good way to look at humanity.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:38 PM

17,391 posts, read 16,540,182 times
Maybe the one relative appears "weak" to you because she is not the type to tease/belittle/torment/otherwise abuse another person. And, as a result, she doesn't expect that type of treatment from others. If she had more of a mean streak would she be a stronger person in your eyes?

Old 05-29-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Maybe the one relative appears "weak" to you because she is not the type to tease/belittle/torment/otherwise abuse another person. And, as a result, she doesn't expect that type of treatment from others. If she had more of a mean streak would she be a stronger person in your eyes?
No. The other relative isn't mean, she just has an air about her that demands more respect. The other one is weaker but I think it has to do with her personality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships