Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 03:04 AM

109 posts, read 298,873 times

Advertisements

... but myself
I went on a date once with this guy who told me how he built his career from scratch and that he's come a long way from the boy he used to be etc etc.
That was good, I thought to myself. Then he went on to say how, because he is a self made man, he does not have to respect anyone but himself, because he neither owes anything to anyone nor does he want to give anything to anyone. And that life is just great when you do your own thing and you don't have to care for anyone.
He was in his 40s and going on this date with me, apparently looking to fill SOME gap in his life, although his speech was along the lines of "I have everything, I don't need anything else or anyone".

I never went on a 2nd date, although he kept insisting for a long wile. I still think about his speech though every now and then and shrug my shoulders - how would you people interpret the "I don't have to respect anyone else" theory ?

Last edited by crossing over; 08-22-2009 at 03:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 03:20 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,237,581 times
It was probably for the best that you decided to move along. It sounds as if he wouldn't respect you either.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:26 AM

52,207 posts, read 52,636,749 times
I'm a little surpirsed that a man at his age would think that way. The older I get the more I realize that I'm not alone, we need others, and yes we need to respect others.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:53 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,325,379 times
He was probably saying that because he'd been hurt in the past and had built this wall and in telling you he was OK without anyone else, he was just distancing himself and trying to convince himself too probably...but "no man or woman is an island". Still, it's not your job to fix him. You probably would have had a huge problem on your hands listening to all his talks, unless you wanted to be his shrink and sort it out...

Old 08-22-2009, 05:24 AM

943 posts, read 2,280,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossing over View Post
... but myself
I went on a date once with this guy who told me how he built his career from scratch and that he's come a long way from the boy he used to be etc etc.
That was good, I thought to myself. Then he went on to say how, because he is a self made man, he does not have to respect anyone but himself, because he neither owes anything to anyone nor does he want to give anything to anyone. And that life is just great when you do your own thing and you don't have to care for anyone.
He was in his 40s and going on this date with me, apparently looking to fill SOME gap in his life, although his speech was along the lines of "I have everything, I don't need anything else or anyone".

I never went on a 2nd date, although he kept insisting for a long wile. I still think about his speech though every now and then and shrug my shoulders - how would you people interpret the "I don't have to respect anyone else" theory ?
Committed life long bachelor....that is what he basically was telling you.

Don't know how his money and career will hug him at night though.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:26 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,428,360 times
Quote:
... but myself

I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut, I would have had to say something to him about what an azz he sounded like and certainly never go out on a date with him. He comes across as rude and arrogant, two things I don't need in a man I am dating.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:15 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,381,745 times
Quote:
... but myself

Sounds like he is independent. what is wrong in that?

Old 08-22-2009, 06:41 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,899,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
Sounds like he is independent. what is wrong in that?
When someone has to go around TELLING everyone how independent they are and how they don't need anyone else, he is arrogant not independent. Either that, or he is just so pathetic he is trying to convince HIMSELF.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:02 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
When someone has to go around TELLING everyone how independent they are and how they don't need anyone else, he is arrogant not independent. Either that, or he is just so pathetic he is trying to convince HIMSELF.
I routinely say I don't need anyone else (because I don't) but I don't say it out in public with a big long rant.

Also, I do respect others besides myself, but I don't necessarily need them in my life unless they can help me out someway.

yes, this attitude is directly related from spending years and years of giving without getting anything back but heartbreak.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:06 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,738,199 times
Bad news. Immature mentality. No good for anyone. I don't believe he respects himself for the very fact that he goes on and on about it. In fact, I think he has a huge problem with himself and passes it along to others. Life is never great when you don't care for anyone but yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships