Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 06:42 PM

826 posts, read 1,896,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Whenever I have vacation I usually end up going "home"--that is to one of the 3 or 4 places I have lived in the past where I still have friends and know where the fun is.

Alternatively, I arrange for old friends from various places to meet me at the beach (OBX or Galveston) where we rent a beach house for a week or two. One day we will do a cruise.

Do you have friends from high school or college who might want to meet somewhere fun?
My best friend from college is married. Our friendship changed once she started dating her now husband and I don't think she'd be into this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
How about a singles cruise? Everyone would be single, correct? You'll most likely meet up with someone or a group of folks. Cruises are a blast. Just pick the right cruise for you and have fun. You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain.
I have considered this. I am a bit shy with people I don't know and I'm terrified I won't be able to make connections. What if I end up with a group of people who haven't mingled with a black person before?

I have had some uncomfortable reactions from people like that... Long story, don't want to go into it. That's why I want to go back to the East Coast and to diversity.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:22 PM

193 posts, read 450,687 times
What are your hobbies or interests? You could take a vacation centered around one of these in a nice location. Like an adult tennis camp in Sea Island in Georgia, or a month long Spanish language course in Costa Rica or an adult music camp in Europe.

You're guaranteed to meet people with shared interests that would make for easy conversations. You're also very likely to meet people with whom you can hang out when you're not in class.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:08 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,065,837 times
Stay at a hostel in a city you want to visit. I prefer to stay in hostels, even in the US, because it is very easy to meet new people, and then visit places together.

There are also events at the hostels.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:14 PM

3,665 posts, read 8,677,841 times
Maybe you could try a singles cruise . I've never been in your situation, how about visiting relatives.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:23 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,773,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacelilies View Post
(this is a bit pathetic).
I have a couple of weeks of vacation time available. I am living in a town where my social life is so wack that I barely need to use my vacation time.

I have joined countless meetup groups, networking groups, sporting groups just to have a bit of a social life but I haven't been able to make much connections. I am the youngest right now in my office. Most people are married and with kids!!!

I know exactly what you mean...same deal here (bolded portion above) I wish I had some practical or helpful advice to give, but the truth is, I'm still working on that one, myself...

Good luck & best wishes!

Old 06-01-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
I know exactly what you mean...same deal here (bolded portion above) I wish I had some practical or helpful advice to give, but the truth is, I'm still working on that one, myself...

Good luck & best wishes!
Thank you very much. It's good to know someone else understands.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoTheNut View Post
What are your hobbies or interests? You could take a vacation centered around one of these in a nice location. Like an adult tennis camp in Sea Island in Georgia, or a month long Spanish language course in Costa Rica or an adult music camp in Europe.

You're guaranteed to meet people with shared interests that would make for easy conversations. You're also very likely to meet people with whom you can hang out when you're not in class.
I write in my spare time. I was thinking of going to a writing conference but I am not that passionate about writing to justify the cost. Writing is a release, not really something I am pursuing as a career

Old 06-01-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
Stay at a hostel in a city you want to visit. I prefer to stay in hostels, even in the US, because it is very easy to meet new people, and then visit places together.

There are also events at the hostels.
I might try the hostel thing, although I am nervous about putting myself out there again. .

Old 06-02-2011, 09:07 AM

90 posts, read 115,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacelilies View Post
(this is a bit pathetic).
I have a couple of weeks of vacation time available. I am living in a town where my social life is so wack that I barely need to use my vacation time.

I have joined countless meetup groups, networking groups, sporting groups just to have a bit of a social life but I haven't been able to make much connections. I am the youngest right now in my office. Most people are married and with kids!!!

After a lot of contemplation, I realized it had to do with where I live. I am innately a city girl and this is the midwest and a lot of people have their friendship cups full. Don't get me wrong, they are not rude or anything, there's just a wall I sense. The people are polite but that's all you get. There was also a situation where I thought I was close to a group of girls, but then jealousy and competition ruined that "friendship"

I have accepted it and tried to leave, however, efforts to relocate to another town have not been successful (Frustratingly so). I don't want to quit my relatively good job, without having another one lined up.

So basically, I am in this situation. I have no boyfriend to travel with, neither do I have a good female friend to go with. I don't know what to do with myself.

In past years, I travelled by myself but honestly, it wasn't fun. I felt pathetic, alone and after 2 such trips, decided it wasn't for me.

I had considered taking a relative (in another state) with me on a trip fully paid for by me but later changed my mind due to the relative's humongous sense of entitlement and lack of appreciation

Has anyone else ever been in this type of situation? How did you deal?
Lol... why are you asking total strangers what to do on vacation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships