Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 02:31 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
"Knowing" martial arts is quite different from "taking" martial arts. Those who practice the Arts are always students even after 20-30 years of study, but there are those who just dabble in it and are nothing at all special. It also depends on the particular style and if the girl is diligent in her studies of the art. If she's serious about the ART then more than likely I will think highly of her as well as her dedication, committment and especially if she adopts it and its principals and code of ethics (Budo, Bushido, etc.) as part of her everyday life. Kinda like just about EVERY chick I know who is INTO yoga are super cool and almost always HOT. When I say "INTO" yoga, I mean they LIVE it and not just haphazardly and/or occasionally do it. Same with chicks who KNOW martial arts.

If the chick is just doing it as something to do or trying to become one of the cool kids, then she may as well be taking up crochet and macrame because I wouldnt necessarily think of her as something special.

Depending on the style of martial art she's taking will also give her bonus points in my book. If she's an Internal Chinese stylist (Bagua, Xing-i, Taiji) then she gets the most points in my book. More so if she learns and applies the combat aspects of these arts and not just the "exercise" otherwise she's just dancing. Points are also awarded to her if she practices my chosen martial arts (wing chun, yang taiji, kenpo). Below that are if she does Silat which is pretty friggin' awesome. Many different types of Karate as well so it will depend on the particular style of karate if she rates high in my book. Absolute bottom of the barrel and not impressed/think not so highly of her at all is taekwondo or BJJ.

Messed up with your last...

I understadn the disdane for American taekwondo, but BJJ....

WRONG!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 03:27 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,624,973 times
Quote:
"Knowing" martial arts is quite different from "taking" martial arts. Those who practice the Arts are always students even after 20-30 years of study, but there are those who just dabble in it and are nothing at all special. It also depends on the particular style and if the girl is diligent in her studies of the art. If she's serious about the ART then more than likely I will think highly of her as well as her dedication, committment and especially if she adopts it and its principals and code of ethics (Budo, Bushido, etc.) as part of her everyday life. Kinda like just about EVERY chick I know who is INTO yoga are super cool and almost always HOT. When I say "INTO" yoga, I mean they LIVE it and not just haphazardly and/or occasionally do it. Same with chicks who KNOW martial arts.
Amen, brother. There are life-stylists and poseurs - I'm not impressed by the latter.

The former - let's just say I'm a fool for certain women...

Quote:
If the chick is just doing it as something to do or trying to become one of the cool kids, then she may as well be taking up crochet and macrame because I wouldnt necessarily think of her as something special.
Still, it's better than underwater basket-weaving...

Quote:
Depending on the style of martial art she's taking will also give her bonus points in my book. If she's an Internal Chinese stylist (Bagua, Xing-i, Taiji) then she gets the most points in my book. More so if she learns and applies the combat aspects of these arts and not just the "exercise" otherwise she's just dancing. Points are also awarded to her if she practices my chosen martial arts (wing chun, yang taiji, kenpo). Below that are if she does Silat which is pretty friggin' awesome. Many different types of Karate as well so it will depend on the particular style of karate if she rates high in my book. Absolute bottom of the barrel and not impressed/think not so highly of her at all is taekwondo or BJJ.
I once dated a woman who had served in the Israeli Defense Force and was quite skilled in Krav Maga - talk about sexy! Our sparring sessions were interesting, to say the least.

Like you, I give preference to my "fellow" stylists - Xing-Yi, Bagua and Taijiquan. After that, gung-fu practitioners. Aikido stylists tend to move like ballerinas as well if they've studied for a long time.

I share your dislike of TKD and BJJ as well, but only because I tend to avoid mainstream / sport-oriented MA. I find that most of the girls studying those are looking for trophies or hot guys to hang out with - neither of which, to me, is a valid reason for entering the arts. If they were studying in traditional ways, though, they'd go up a few notches in my mind.

I do have a deep, dark secret to admit here...one of the longest, and hottest, relationships I've ever had started when I was teaching a Taiji Intro course at a local college. All these nubile young things giggling and tittering - then in comes in a 40-ish woman rocking short-shorts and a bippy top, moving like wind and smelling like a spring day. Turns out she was also a yoga instructor and wanted to "broaden her horizons".

...of course we had to go out for some tea after class to discuss Taoist philosophy...*sigh*...

Old 06-03-2011, 03:55 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,001,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
Like karate, Tae Won Do, Kung Fu, etc.?

To you, what does that say about a girl?
It suggests that she's not a "couch potato", and she's in reasonable physical condition.
It also suggests she may have a few more things going for her as well.

Would I be worried about what she could do to me? No.
First of all, I doubt I'd ever give her any reason to use any of it on me.
Second, I probably know far more than she does, or ever will.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:17 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,472,793 times
When I met my wife, she was a second degree black belt in aikido, and had been practicing several times a week for over 10 years. She'd also done yoga for many years, and was into Buddhist philosophy. Add in that's she gorgeous, fit, and sweet, and it was instant love!

I'd done some judo and tae kwon do previously, and started aikido with her. What a blast that was! Watching her spar was like watching an exotic modern dance, only her "partners" (sometimes 2 or 3 attackers) would go flying across the room without the aid of wires. We still take classes and practice when we can.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:06 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Messed up with your last...

WRONG!
I think SifuPhil pretty much nailed it his post above. Women who do BJJ are NOT into as an art and are almost always NOT into it as a form of true study. They are just doing it to meet hot guys or they are bandwagon followers who do it because someone told them its "the hot trend" thing to do. Poseurs they are.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post

WRONG!
This guy pretty much sums up what is wrong with today's BJJ and people who just "dabble" in it.

YouTube - ‪Fuhrers Old School BJJ‬‏

I know Rickson and Rorion Gracie. Met Royce a few times as well. Those guys are REAL. If a chick dedicated herself to practicing like those guys did it would be okay. But really, just about every woman I met who says "I do BJJ" really only is doing it to meet guys and/or because she thinks its the current trendy thing to do.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:26 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,996,720 times
Too bad she would not be able to beat me up. Me being an overweight guy with little athletic ability.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:28 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,649,449 times
Quote:
This guy pretty much sums up what is wrong with today's BJJ and people who just "dabble" in it.

YouTube - ‪Fuhrers Old School BJJ‬‏

I know Rickson and Rorion Gracie. Met Royce a few times as well. Those guys are REAL. If a chick dedicated herself to practicing like those guys did it would be okay. But really, just about every woman I met who says "I do BJJ" really only is doing it to meet guys and/or because she thinks its the current trendy thing to do.
I'm certainly not doing karate because it's a trend. I'm short and I need to be able to defend myself so I don't get trafficked, captured, whatever.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
I'm certainly not doing karate because it's a trend. I'm short and I need to be able to defend myself so I don't get trafficked, captured, whatever.
What style of karate are you taking?

Old 06-03-2011, 08:33 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,649,449 times
Quote:
What style of karate are you taking?
I'm pretty sure it's Shaolin. Sorry if I have it wrong though. I'm still a beginner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships