Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 09:12 AM

12,973 posts, read 34,032,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
I'm pretty sure it's Shaolin. Sorry if I have it wrong though. I'm still a beginner.
Dont apologize to me for you not knowing what you are doing. How is it possible that you can be a few weeks into this and NOT know what you are doing? What is the name of the school? When you filled out your check, who did you make it payable to? Saying you do "Shaolin Karate" is pretty much the same as someone saying they are a practicing Islamic Jehovas Witness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 09:14 AM

24,644 posts, read 38,735,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Dont apologize to me for you not knowing what you are doing. How is it possible that you can be a few weeks into this and NOT know what you are doing? What is the name of the school? When you filled out your check, who did you make it payable to? Saying you do "Shaolin Karate" is pretty much the same as someone saying they are a practicing Islamic Jehovas Witness.
ouch.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:14 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,657,078 times
Quote:
It's the United Studios of Self Defense. The reason I apologized is because I thought u mightve known and mightve gotten offended. Oh and I'm actually sure it's Shotokan. Idk -_-'

Old 06-03-2011, 09:15 AM

53 posts, read 54,827 times
Quote:
Like karate, Tae Won Do, Kung Fu, etc.?

To you, what does that say about a girl?

im a female and i am a 4th degree black belt in brazillian jujitsu and guys LOVE it lol i also race and work on cars and guys think its hott. u just gotta look good doing it <3 =)

Old 06-03-2011, 09:19 AM

839 posts, read 2,421,795 times
Hmmmm. I have four daughters. Three of whom are still under five, but the oldest has been learning Karate for 2 or 3 years now. I'm going to enroll the younger ones in Krav Maga or some similar style when they get a bit older.

Also, I will personally instruct them in the safe and proficent use of a handgun and I will gladly pay the fees for each of them to obtain a CCW when they reach adulthood.

The world can be a dangerous place, especially for women. As a father, I want to do everything I can to keep them safe.

To answer the OP's question, I think a woman who studies martial arts is wise and well prepared......

Old 06-03-2011, 09:21 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,186,234 times
Quote:
Jeeze man, ever be new at something before? FFS

You're representing your Dojo / Gym WTF you feel like calling it, swimmingly.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:26 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,186,234 times
Quote:
It's the United Studios of Self Defense. The reason I apologized is because I thought u mightve known and mightve gotten offended. Oh and I'm actually sure it's Shotokan. Idk -_-'
At the risk of sounding like a hypocrite (from my previous posts), the school seems a little McDojo-ish. But in defense, like I said before, alot of it will depend on what you are looking to get out of it. It's also hard to judge a school based on a couple quick videos, but quick observation - too many black belts, and alot of which, did not look that refined to me. But it looks to have a HUGE amount of people there so it must be working for someone. Just MO.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:26 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,661,386 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's Shaolin. Sorry if I have it wrong though. I'm still a beginner.
If it's Shaolin Kempo Karate then you've got something potentially good for the street.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:28 AM

12,973 posts, read 34,032,106 times
Quote:
USSD does a type of Kenpo. Its pretty far from Shotokan. Charles Mattera who is the head of that organization studied under Fred Villari. I have personally re-trained several Villari black belts and awarded them black belt in my style of kenpo. They have a genius business system, but horrible quality control. I dont want to turn this thread into a pi$$ing match of this style vs. that style vs my style vs your style so I'll just leave it at that.

Again, I say if a girl who seriously practices martial arts I would think quite highly of her. If she is someone who does it just because "guys think its hot" or to meet guys, then well ............ too bad.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:01 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,661,386 times
I believe it was a USSD instructor and co-owner who was sentenced two years ago for sexually molesting a 4-year old female student in the dojo.

I realize this can happen anywhere, but the USSD name was sticking in my head for some reason. I've also heard they have a great business system - maybe a little TOO great; allegations of overcharging for testing, equipment, private lessons etc. were leveled against them in the past. Could just be sour grapes - it all depends on the quality of your own instructor and how much he is respected in "the system".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships