Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 09:24 AM

24,644 posts, read 38,751,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But that's backwards thinking. Women aren't actually scary because some men put them on a pedestal. These men are projecting their fears onto unknown women.
As someone who grew up without women and who was painfully shy as a result, the fear can be real, especially if your early attempts, few as they might have been, ended up in disaster. You soon start thinking that nobody will ever find you attractive or want to date you, and those feelings mutate into self-fulfilling prophecies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 10:09 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,668,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
What if you like ps3 better?
LOL - that will do.

Quote:
Wait what do you mean by that?
Something that is "unfamiliar" may not be totally unknown - you might encounter it once in a while, but you still aren't too sure about it.

"Unknown" is simply that - unknown. Never encountered.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
As someone who grew up without women and who was painfully shy as a result, the fear can be real, especially if your early attempts, few as they might have been, ended up in disaster. You soon start thinking that nobody will ever find you attractive or want to date you, and those feelings mutate into self-fulfilling prophecies.
That's why I think they should create a "C-D Relationships Emergency Response Team" to offer interventions ...

... I volunteer to be the sniper.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:29 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,291,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
That's why I think they should create a "C-D Relationships Emergency Response Team" to offer interventions ...

I call the team commander.

"Sifu, this guy is a lost cause. Fire at will..."

Old 06-09-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSnook View Post
I call the team commander.

"Sifu, this guy is a lost cause. Fire at will..."

I imagine the Rules of Engagement would be tough to get around, though.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:50 AM

24,644 posts, read 38,751,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post

That'd be real cool.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:51 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,532,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Everybody tells me I'm lucky I live in a college town and get to see all these beautiful college women every day. But I say it sucks more than they could ever know. I also say that those who say that it's great have no idea what it feels like to be alone and to feel like there's no hope you're ever going to have a date with someone who's attractive to you. I'm attracted to many women, but I'm not going to go out with someone who's 300 pounds. Sorry. I can't date someone who is completely unattractive to me.

Anyhow, those who say I'm lucky I get to see all these beautiful college women all the time are full of it and have no clue what it's like to be alone and have to see all these women all the time in short shorts. I can't wait until winter when they cover up and stay inside !

I gotta get out of this town ! But I can't because I got a job here and I burned all my bridges elsewhere. Man, I'm a dumb man.
I hate to break it to you loverboy but even 300 pound women wont go out with a guy with no self esteem!

Old 06-09-2011, 01:22 PM

44,426 posts, read 20,189,394 times
Quote:
Good points. I did get a diagnosis of Asperger's, but it was not from a doctor that I trust. Before that he was convinced I had bipolar disorder, but then he changed it over to Asperger's and never said the word bipolar disorder again. He also thought I was "possibly an idiot savant with highly developed math skills," but he didn't realize I scored higher on my verbal SAT than on my math. So, needless to say, eventually I got a little smarter and found a different psychiatrist. He just said I had depression. But eventually I got tired of taking Prozac and so I got him to withdraw me from prozac and then I quit going in. Then, a few months later I stopped seeing my social worker too because I wasn't cooperating with any of his suggestions. All that was about 7 years ago. I haven't seen a therapist since. I've been okay for the most part, until this year. So now I'm thinking I really ought to go see a therapist again. Maybe I'll have better luck this time.

But sorry for using the word Asperger's. I'll stop. I don't trust that diagnosis at all.
Davros, when you DO go to see a new therapist, perhaps it would be helpful to print out your posts here on City-Data and have the therapist read them. It could give him or her an insight which might prove helpful. Best of luck to you.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:58 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,873,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
Well plenty of men put women on a pedestal. So that would explain why they are scary......
Unless they are wearing some halloween costume?

Old 06-09-2011, 02:17 PM

433 posts, read 878,541 times
Quote:
Everybody tells me I'm lucky I live in a college town and get to see all these beautiful college women every day. But I say it sucks more than they could ever know. I also say that those who say that it's great have no idea what it feels like to be alone and to feel like there's no hope you're ever going to have a date with someone who's attractive to you. I'm attracted to many women, but I'm not going to go out with someone who's 300 pounds. Sorry. I can't date someone who is completely unattractive to me.

Anyhow, those who say I'm lucky I get to see all these beautiful college women all the time are full of it and have no clue what it's like to be alone and have to see all these women all the time in short shorts. I can't wait until winter when they cover up and stay inside !

I gotta get out of this town ! But I can't because I got a job here and I burned all my bridges elsewhere. Man, I'm a dumb man.
Hey man pull yourself together and get a grip....What is it about you that makes you feel that you could not have one of those attractive women...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships