Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 01:42 PM

83 posts, read 281,271 times

Advertisements

It's too risky to date a co-worker. You have way too much to lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 04:14 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,647,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
No one who works for me can date a coworker and keep thier job. One of you has to go. You decide. Sometimes there just isnt a broom and dustpan BIG ENOUGH to clean up the mess left behind after an office romance goes south!
Cap'n, I don't know the size of your company but I'm wondering about the legality of something like this. Big company or small, what is the law concerning the firing of an employee for this? Do you notify them of this when they are hired? Is it policy set in a handbook?

I would think that there have to be some hungry lawyers circling around waiting to jump on an opportunity like this - discrimination and so forth.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:48 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,509,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Cap'n, I don't know the size of your company but I'm wondering about the legality of something like this. Big company or small, what is the law concerning the firing of an employee for this? Do you notify them of this when they are hired? Is it policy set in a handbook?

I would think that there have to be some hungry lawyers circling around waiting to jump on an opportunity like this - discrimination and so forth.
It is in the company handbook that employees are given upon hiring. Also. Tennessee is a RIGHT TO WORK state. I can fire you for any or no reason. This rule has been tested and upheld in the courts. It is a distraction and detriment to the workplace.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:21 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,647,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
It is in the company handbook that employees are given upon hiring. Also. Tennessee is a RIGHT TO WORK state. I can fire you for any or no reason. This rule has been tested and upheld in the courts. It is a distraction and detriment to the workplace.
Thank you for the education, sir. Yet another reason I remain self-employed.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:21 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,083,940 times
Sounds like she doesn't work at the same job as you and you don't have work related contact. Right?

Assuming that's correct, the next time she greets you in the hall, ask her out for coffee. What do you have to lose? Just say the words. Chances are, she will agree because it's a totally non-threatening activity and you can get to know her a little more and see if she is worth pursuing. Coffee is just coffee. It's acceptable to ask anyone to coffee.

If you decide she is worth pursuing, read that handbook and learn the company policy on dating/relationships in the workplace. Then you can make an informed decision.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:23 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,481,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchip View Post
Hello. I recently moved to a new city for a job, I'm 24 and just out of college. I don't know anyone in this city and it really sucks not having people to hang out with. Anyways there is a very cute girl at work... she was the first to initiate contact and even asked me my name before I asked for hers. I run into her in the hallway a few times a week and we exchange a few friendly words before moving along to what we were doing. I have went out of my way to go see her in her area a couple times and I think she has done the same to me a time or two. I would like to ask her on a date but I have a few concerns...

1) I don't know if she is just a very friendly girl or if she is interested in me... shes kind of hard to read but always happy. Whats the best way to find out if she is dating someone already? I don't want to ask to find out she is dating already and make it awkward.

2) I have heard dating in the workplace is not a good idea... And I understand why for the most part. However my situation is a little different, don't know if makes it better or worse. Anyways I am an engineer at this place and she is one of the workers on the line. So there is an obvious disparity with our positions at this company... And I only mention that because I am unsure of its significance for this type of situation. Its a couple hundred (at most) people at this place, everyone knows everyone and its a very gossipy environment. I just do my job keep my mouth shut and avoid being talked about... but I am frequently teased about my age.

I feel like I am making this complicated but I like to make sure I dont screw things up. I am just looking for some companionship/friendship in this place that I don't know anyone. There are lots of of people at this company my age and they have friend circles and have fun and joke around and I would like to get to know them and be friends but my position requires me to maintain a professional demeanor... I hate it! I just want to make friends with people my age...
Just tell her you'd like to go out with her to discuss life in NYC. Don't approach it like a date. Since you're new she might be totally fine with that and won't mind hanging out with you giving you the low-down on the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships