Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 05:59 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,507,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
In the dark every girl is a 10.
'all cats are gray in the dark'---that is said in the South and I assume other places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 05:59 PM

37,500 posts, read 61,499,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Chessie you are mistaken, Nerds are smart yet can't socialize to well.
That is my understanding.

Nerds are smart, but socially inept.

Money may make up for it. But only with gold-diggers.

The example people are saying with Bill Gates? Really? An office sexual harassment complaint where the settlement was a proposal, is your idea of being attractive to girls? I dont think so.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:01 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,507,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
In the dark every girl is a 10.
'all cats are gray in the dark'---that is said in the South and I assume other places?

rut away---men will judge you.

lol-i had the last lol with someone who presumably shares this type of thinking--- 'Owned'/used and abused. Karma---back in your face, buddy boy.

He likes sex--well, guess what women do, too. And lol--I am the 'Best'--better than anyone he might have ever had. I did not tell him that his performance on a given occasion was lacking. He knows.
Just go talk about 'the sex' and be certain that you can deliver when opportunity presents itself. jmo.

that is what i said---the response--- a picture of Hillary screaming about something.

I was pleased. Yes, that is how it works. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

/gavel

Old 06-10-2011, 06:02 PM

73,097 posts, read 62,737,535 times
With this thread, the term "nerd" now sounds more complicated than I previously thought. For this reason I need to look at myself. I am 25 now. However, there are things I am into. I am an intellectual type. I also like to watch cartoons(when I can get to a television). I like video games, but I'm strictly Nintendo. I spend alot of time on the internet(I'll probably spend alot less time on it if I have a girlfriend). I am really big into geography and history and love talking about those things.

I am wondering if I am a hybrid of nerd/brainy.

As for why "nerdy men" don't think they could get a lady? Well, I have considered myself to be a nerdy type up to this point. However, my personal explanation is pop culture related. It is about pop culture. The guys who get the ladies are often the "cool" types, the ones with the flashy cars, the big muscles, the guys don't come off as "intellectual", those types. It haunted me through middle school. I loved reading books and watching science shows(still do). I was also small for my age throughout middle school(I was around 4'3" or 4'4" in 6th grade. I never reached 5' tall until the end of 8th grade. I started middle school weighing 60 pounds and ended it weighed 85 pounds). I remember being in the 6th grade and some of the 8th grade girls might comment on how "cute" I was. Well, this wasn't the Leonardo DiCaprio kind of "cute". I was "little boy cute". However, I was never really seen as "boyfriend material" by alot of girls. Making matters worse was social awkwardness. I generally got along better with kids in older grades(and particularly girls) than I did with kids in my own grade(especially boys). The general reason is all of the stuff us nerdy types get from Hollywood. It's pumped into our brains from day one. It stays in our psyches for a long time. For some guys, they are able to break out of that thinking. For others, not so much.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:13 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,916,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
to the Op - just got a rep of some kind

hey--we are all equal here--chill--that is all i know to say

i am the last person in the world to 'attack' anyone--lol--if you only knew me

i say what I think--or feel--i have a very dry sense of humor

i think Bill Gates and those that know technical things are great

i know nothing---can't twitter or do anything like that. I post from a Dell---windows 7--and I have no idea how that works

if God had seen fit he would have given me 'nerd' abilities---I can't imagine what it is like to understand the technical world

I try to learn. It is like learning some foreign language.

I severely need a 'geek' ---my personal geek to console me when the 'puter doesn't work and I have done something to cause it not to work.

Get It, Got It, Good.
I didn't get get this -i couldn't possibly talk down to you--i am lower than dirt. lol

what on earth did I say to make you think I was talking down to you?

I'd really like to know. I thought you were fighting with me, and I was like did I miss something? lol

And I like computers and technology, any time I can try to help you. I am not as smart as the nerds though.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:42 PM

37,653 posts, read 46,092,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Chessie you are mistaken, Nerds are smart yet can't socialize to well. Now dorks they just have their own malfunction.
No,I am not mistaken at all. Your post implied that brainy men and nerds are one and the same. They absolutely are NOT.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:38 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,706,032 times
I think there are different tiers of nerdy. I think I'd be considered nerdy - I love technology and I love learning. Some have called me a walking encyclopedia (hardly, but I'll take that compliment!). I'm not a ladies man or the Dos Equis guy, but I'm not socially awkward... just have trouble with forming lasting connections. I can competently and easily carry conversations with people of all sorts.

There are nerds who are really into music, or geography, anything really. I knew a sports nerd in high school! And then they fall into different social ability categories. I have a friend who's really nerdy (he loves video games, real ones not sports ones and also loves comic books) but is also pretty fit and is excellent with people and with the ladies. Honestly, I kinda wish I was him sometimes, but oh well. Then you have nerds who are the stereotypical gamers - slovenly, very overweight, unkempt facial hair, Cheeto dust all over their fingers and keyboards, cans of beer and broken dreams cluttering their game room.

I think my point is that it's a bit stupid to try and put people into a narrow category.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:08 PM

37,653 posts, read 46,092,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I think my point is that it's a bit stupid to try and put people into a narrow category.
I would agree with that.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:32 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,916,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I think there are different tiers of nerdy. I think I'd be considered nerdy - I love technology and I love learning. Some have called me a walking encyclopedia (hardly, but I'll take that compliment!). I'm not a ladies man or the Dos Equis guy, but I'm not socially awkward... just have trouble with forming lasting connections. I can competently and easily carry conversations with people of all sorts.

There are nerds who are really into music, or geography, anything really. I knew a sports nerd in high school! And then they fall into different social ability categories. I have a friend who's really nerdy (he loves video games, real ones not sports ones and also loves comic books) but is also pretty fit and is excellent with people and with the ladies. Honestly, I kinda wish I was him sometimes, but oh well. Then you have nerds who are the stereotypical gamers - slovenly, very overweight, unkempt facial hair, Cheeto dust all over their fingers and keyboards, cans of beer and broken dreams cluttering their game room.

Ok I meant all but your last group.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:10 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,553,974 times
Well, this may be off-topic, but . . . .

The girl I liked in high school, yet didn't like me so much currently gets drunk and posts on facebook "love of my life".

I did some digging and I found out the jock of a guy she liked who was shorter than both of us and who I recently found out was kept back two grades is getting married soon.

And I recently tried seeing another friend from high school, but she doesn't like me either even though she claims to subscribe to "neo-multhasian" views(wishes only the intelligent people would reproduce). She considers herself intelligent even though she can only post pictures on facebook using her "android smart phone" and not her computer and is currently on a 12 step program for anything you want to name. She si the same one concerned about if I'm gay, yet not interested in being sexually active with me. She thinks I'm gay because I mention that a guy form our school who became a realtor and that my current realtor are both gay. I'm in real estate by the way. Or I mention the Bishop Eddie Long case and a contracting company. She also has no clue about current events or the events from 5 years ago. She considers herself intelligent.

I am only a little socially inept. I tend to think more about business, or making money, than making "friends". I have no "social friends", instead I keep a list of realtors and other business contacts. I don't miss being "socially inept" if it means I do not accrue DUIs, have to spent my money and time on drug testing, classes, and court, or have to drown my hidden sadness in bad tasting alcohol and having friends who do keg stands like they are still in college, while we are the age of 25-30.

I'd take being myself over being publicly drunk with a possible record and in the "in" crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships