Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 10:56 AM

47 posts, read 104,938 times

Advertisements

How do I explain my dilemma: I have joined online dating sites such as Plenty of Fish, and some others in the past. I have never actually gone on a date with anyone on these sites.

I am in my late 40's and In real life, I have always dated really attractive women who are generally 2-15 years younger than me. But on dating sites I only seem to be approached by washed-ups who are 5-10 years older. When I send a message to a woman who I consider to barely make it in the "attractive" zone, I never even get a response. Whats the deal with that?

It is possible that I am not photogenic..but I have posted a number of photos that are descent. I am curious to know if others have the same or better experience than what I've had.

Please do not tell me that I need to lower my standards or that I think too much of myself or that I should prepare myself to remain single for a long time etc. I think there should be chemistry with someone before we can date them and I much rather remain single than to date someone I am not attracted to.

All I am interested is to know what your online dating experience has been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 11:00 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,848,401 times
I had been a member of two of those free ones for a while and never found anyone of quality.

I joined eharmony and after going through a couple duds I found the most wonderful girlfriend. I think you get out what you put in. Join a pay site and the quality of people goes up, but there will always be duds. We're both in our 20's and couldn't be happier.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:02 AM

328 posts, read 603,188 times
When you're approaching younger, attractive women in person and you're dating them, chances are you have qualities other than pure good looks that the girls find attractive about you. Online, however, the only basis that people use to contact someone is their pictures online. So... Stick to the bars, bro.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:10 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
This is not going to make you feel better, but it's possible the women you used to have in real life were younger and attractive, but lacked other qualities. The attractive women of quality online may not find your profile appealing, not the pictures... Just a thought, since you're asking.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:11 AM

936 posts, read 2,061,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisecrack View Post
How do I explain my dilemma: I have joined online dating sites such as Plenty of Fish, and some others in the past. I have never actually gone on a date with anyone on these sites.

I am in my late 40's and In real life, I have always dated really attractive women who are generally 2-15 years younger than me. But on dating sites I only seem to be approached by washed-ups who are 5-10 years older. When I send a message to a woman who I consider to barely make it in the "attractive" zone, I never even get a response. Whats the deal with that?

It is possible that I am not photogenic..but I have posted a number of photos that are descent. I am curious to know if others have the same or better experience than what I've had.

Please do not tell me that I need to lower my standards or that I think too much of myself or that I should prepare myself to remain single for a long time etc. I think there should be chemistry with someone before we can date them and I much rather remain single than to date someone I am not attracted to.

The deal may be that a lot of the profiles you see aren't really active. eHarmony has that problem. People sign up for their Free Look Weekend, or whatever it's called, decide they're not interested, but eHarmony keeps their profile in circulation as though they are.

Plus, you have to kind of expect the rejection rate to be high with online sites. It's very easy for someone to click to the next picture instead of rebuffing you in person.

Are you approaching women online who are as attractive as those you would approach in real life? Those women are probably getting bombarded with winks/messages/e-mails/etc., and may not see yours in the pile.

And let's be frank, your profile may not be all you think it is. Some people are better in print, some are better in living color. Those comments you anticipated may be correct--your standards may be too high for how you're presenting yourself online.

One question: if you do so well at dating in real life, why are you looking on dating websites online? You clearly have something that's working for you. Why switch?

Old 06-20-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock1729 View Post

One question: if you do so well at dating in real life, why are you looking on dating websites online? You clearly have something that's working for you. Why switch?
What I said was that I have always dated attractive women. That doesn't mean that women are lining up to go on dates with me (I wish they did). It generally takes months some times years before the next one comes along. Its been a year since my last breakup, and I feel ready for a relationship and its been frustrating as anyone in my circle seems to be taken or I'm not attracted to, so I gave online dating a shot.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:23 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,645,240 times
Quote:

First of all, not all dating sites are the same. POF is free so it's going to attract a different kind of person than a pay site like eHarmony. Second, men are generally expected to pursue women. It's rare for women to contact men, so I don't know why you're complaining about the kind of women who do contact you. As for why you're being rejected, there could be any number of reasons, none of which have to do with being online. Do you have kids? A lot of younger women don't want to date a guy with kids. What do you have written in your profile? That's great if you have decent pictures, but most women aren't going to want to talk to you just because you have decent pics. Think about how many replies the average woman gets on one of those sites. If you really want a reply, you need to figure out how to stand out from the crowd and hopefully you're not sending my generic "Hi, how are you?" message.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
This is not going to make you feel better, but it's possible the women you used to have in real life were younger and attractive, but lacked other qualities. The attractive women of quality online may not find your profile appealing, not the pictures... Just a thought, since you're asking.
This is true in some of the women I dated (including the last one). It has been a sobering experience. I think you also have a point in the second part of your comment: It is very very hard for me to talk about myself, so my profile most likely looks pathetic.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:33 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,093,380 times
Quote:

I met my boyfriend online..he actually contacted me..I would have never contacted him..the more we talked the more he made me laugh..
He said he was contacted by he says ugly women.
My boyfriend isn't really photogenic..he actually is better looking in person. In fact the profile pic he did have up...is ugly..But when I got to see him in person and take off his glasses he really did have big brown eyes that are so beautiful...and straight white teeth..mine are crooked..
He tells me everyday that he loves me...I love him too..
I love him for finding me..

Old 06-20-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
. Do you have kids? A lot of younger women don't want to date a guy with kids. .
Actually yes..I'm learning quite a bit from replies here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships