Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 04:56 AM

1,543 posts, read 3,000,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
I think part of the reason is that there is a stereotype about attractive men being jerks and some women believe it. They won't click on his profile because they think he's gonna be a jerk or they're not pretty enough for him. I fall under the latter category. I'm not ugly but I don't think I'm pretty enough to approach a super attractive guy.
Most women like jerks. So what you said was pretty flawed. Women like to be entertained, which is why they are high maintenance more than any car, more than any house, more than any pet. If you want to have a gf/wife say goodbye to life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 05:40 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,884,925 times
Default Just dating the wrong women...

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
Most women like jerks. So what you said was pretty flawed. Women like to be entertained, which is why they are high maintenance more than any car, more than any house, more than any pet. If you want to have a gf/wife say goodbye to life.
Funny you write about "high maintenance"... maybe it is the age difference but I find that most the men I try to date are the high maintenance ones. I do love an intelligent conversation but I love my solitude and when I try to just sit and read or watch the sandhill cranes in my back yard I get, "what are you doing?" "what are we going to do", "what's for dinner"... etc... etc... etc... It's never a good idea to assume maintenance and that discovery is all part of trying to get to know someone. Hopefully you will find someone that will be independant and walk beside you and share your life... not want to dominate and smother you... I can definitely take care of myself and love the satisfaction of having a beautiful home that I maintain by myself... I know this has nothing to do with the attractive men but are attractive men more confident and therefore can share instead of dominate?... interesting

Old 06-26-2011, 05:51 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,784,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin070388 View Post
Positive. I remember the study.

the link you posted has a different conclusion. thread failure?

------

here's what i found interesting about the article:

"Our chart shows how men have rated women, on a scale from 0 to 5. The curve is symmetric and surprisingly charitable: a woman is as likely to be considered extremely ugly as extremely beautiful, and the majority of women have been rated about “medium.” The chart looks normalized, even though it’s just the unfiltered opinions of our male users."

"As you can see from the gray line, women rate an incredible 80% of guys as worse-looking than medium. Very harsh. On the other hand, when it comes to actual messaging, women shift their expectations only just slightly ahead of the curve, which is a healthier pattern than guys’ pursuing the all-but-unattainable. But with the basic ratings so out-of-whack, the two curves together suggest some strange possibilities for the female thought process, the most salient of which is that the average-looking woman has convinced herself that the vast majority of males aren’t good enough for her, but she then goes right out and messages them anyway."

Old 06-26-2011, 05:52 AM

577 posts, read 901,791 times
To me, very handsome men look "girly" and "pretty--" so I've never been attracted to them. I've always been attracted to men who look a little beat up.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:41 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,649,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid825 View Post
To me, very handsome men look "girly" and "pretty--" so I've never been attracted to them. I've always been attracted to men who look a little beat up.
Yo, honey, c'mere - let's sit down and talk a bit ...

Old 06-26-2011, 08:19 AM

2,631 posts, read 7,028,529 times
Women look better then men period biologically. They have softer skin which is less oily, softer prettier features, sweat less etc. etc. An average looking women pretty much = an attractive guy.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:16 AM

219 posts, read 542,460 times
I'm still not buying it (about good looking guys being sent less messages).

I'm gong to go out on a limb here by saying I don't consider myself a zero, statistically speaking. My eyes are separated at an approved distance, they are equal distant between the forehead and chin, no scars, nose is contemporary, over 6', acceptable BMI, 100% one ethnicity, etc, and I couldn't get a message. I've written long profiles, short profiles, have women write them for me, I even looked at the 'competition' for pointers.

I think those services are scams which explains why the 'less than perfect' are always messaged more, to keep them paying.

That and, giving them the benefit of the doubt, age has absolutely everything to do with it. Maybe that was addressed in the study and catagorized accordingly, but when a guy reaches a certain age, they are considered tainted, particularly if they have no children and are divorced, and either want children or are undecided.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:18 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,266,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersied View Post
nose is contemporary
Please enlighten me what a contemporary nose is! I started fearing mine may be a little old-fashioned.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:19 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,266,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Women typically find more masculine men more attractive, and that's a function of testosterone levels. However, while those men are physically attractive, high testosterone also strongly correlates with lower fidelity. (This is all based on many scientific studies, BTW, so I'm not making this up.) Perhaps women seeking a long-term relationship aren't contacting these guys, because they are perceived to be unreliable mates.

From a psychological perspective (as opposed to biological/mating), it could be that some women are intimidated and figure the attractive men already have plenty of prospects, and want to take advantage of their popularity. They are less likely to commit.

So, from these two different perspectives, the most attractive men may in some strange way be seen as less desirable. Women more interested in short-term flings may be more likely to contact them, though.
On second thought, you have good points.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:26 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,649,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersied View Post
... but when a guy reaches a certain age, they are considered tainted, particularly if they have no children and are divorced, and either want children or are undecided.
Oh, my - I DO believe I am tainted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships