Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 01:36 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,481,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
This is my conclusion, I am 34, single, no kids, never been married, probably never will, I don't even understand why people in the USA are so obsessed with this very antiquated concept.

Some of the brightest people I know around my age are not married either and truly enjoying life, I have a friend who is extremely smart and educated and she has no desire to get married or have kids.

I am far from being wealthy but just because I am not married or have kids, I have enough money to do most of the things I love like traveling.

I don't even understand why most people get married anyways, it seems like most people do it because they have been pressured to do it by someone else or because society "expects" them do it, I could care less about what people or society "expect" from me.

Anyways, I would love to know some of the "rational" reasons why people get married.
You say "being married sucks"... but how would YOU know?

I'll give you reasons why people like you shouldn't get married.

1. Selfish people don't get married because it means you have to share your stuff, and time, and money, and energy, and space, and life.

2. Selfish people disdain marriage and children and want their money for material stuff, travel, being self indulgent.

3. Selfish people should not, and cannot be married because they have to think of a world that doesn't revolve around them.

Don't get married.

Furthermore, you're a single selfish guy. How could you possibly understand why people would want to be married when you're not equipped for that kind of perception? And yet you make judgment about something you have absolutely no way of understanding because you are a selfish individual and cannot perceive life not revolving around you. I know you're selfish because everything bolded in purple tells me you are incredibly self centered it's all about ("I", "I", "I").

Last edited by LuckyGem; 06-28-2011 at 01:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 02:24 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,782,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
I agree. I not married nor will I ever get married unless I can marry 3-4 women at one time being that I believe polygamy.

As far as "rational" reasons as to why people get married, well, for guys, it's the usual where they fall deeply in love with a woman and so they want to solidify that belief through some kind of ceremony.

As far as women, they mostly seem to get married to secure financial security for themselves and their children.
1. If you believe in polygamy, then youre not mature or responsible enough for marriage (to one woman) because youve missed the entire purpose of being married to one woman.

2. Its far beyond a cermony that is important ... its the love, commitment, and sharing your life with another in the deepest and safest environment possible which allows you both to grow as people and together. Marriage is also to represent the love of God and the communion that is shared within the GodHead .

3. Things like security, etc for the woman...are the outflowing of what marriage offers --- the real benefit is meshing your life with another who is just as committed as you are . There is no deeper form of love than that found in marriage, except for one who is willing to give up their life for another.

Most people should not enter into marriage because our cultural philosophies go strickly against the sanctity and preservation of marriage in favor of a more selfish manner of living.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:41 PM

791 posts, read 1,428,418 times
I think when you commit to the relationship, it turns into something you never regret...its not for everyone but it does make life interesting with or without alot of income.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:44 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,842,324 times
How is he selfish when he is not married? He would be selfish if he did not share stuff, time, money, energy, space, life. This does not apply to him because he was never married to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
You say "being married sucks"... but how would YOU know?

I'll give you reasons why people like you shouldn't get married.

1. Selfish people don't get married because it means you have to share your stuff, and time, and money, and energy, and space, and life.

2. Selfish people disdain marriage and children and want their money for material stuff, travel, being self indulgent.

3. Selfish people should not, and cannot be married because they have to think of a world that doesn't revolve around them.

Don't get married.

Furthermore, you're a single selfish guy. How could you possibly understand why people would want to be married when you're not equipped for that kind of perception? And yet you make judgment about something you have absolutely no way of understanding because you are a selfish individual and cannot perceive life not revolving around you. I know you're selfish because everything bolded in purple tells me you are incredibly self centered it's all about ("I", "I", "I").

Old 06-28-2011, 04:20 PM

7 posts, read 9,592 times
Well we see everything isn't for everybody.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:50 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,589,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
1. If you believe in polygamy, then youre not mature or responsible enough for marriage (to one woman) because youve missed the entire purpose of being married to one woman.

2. Its far beyond a cermony that is important ... its the love, commitment, and sharing your life with another in the deepest and safest environment possible which allows you both to grow as people and together. Marriage is also to represent the love of God and the communion that is shared within the GodHead .

3. Things like security, etc for the woman...are the outflowing of what marriage offers --- the real benefit is meshing your life with another who is just as committed as you are . There is no deeper form of love than that found in marriage, except for one who is willing to give up their life for another.

Most people should not enter into marriage because our cultural philosophies go strickly against the sanctity and preservation of marriage in favor of a more selfish manner of living.
Well said.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:57 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,228,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
Well said.
+1 except for the inclusion of a god. We don't have that, but we have a great marriage. I love my dh to pieces; more everyday. If folk can propel themselves onto a positive trajectory, it's good.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:14 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,589,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braunwyn View Post
+1 except for the inclusion of a god. We don't have that, but we have a great marriage. I love my dh to pieces; more everyday. If folk can propel themselves onto a positive trajectory, it's good.
+1

Old 06-28-2011, 05:26 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,569,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REESE B View Post
Well we see everything isn't for everybody.
Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner!

Old 06-28-2011, 07:12 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,671,392 times
Marriage is not a close second from giving your life for another...not a close third, or fourth or fifth. Not. Even. Close.

Marriage as we know it is a social wealth transfer construct of man, not in the same universe as the inherent selflessness of giving up your life for another. Which in essence does not make married people more righteous than single people. The sacrifice of 'fidelis' has nothing to do with a dumb piece of paper. The idea there should be economic punishment for the dissolution of marriage is bitter and petty anger borne out of human spite and selfishness. Modern marriage has NOTHING to do with "fidelis". NOTHING. Modern marriage is about REMUNERATION.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships