Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 12:02 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,587,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I find this incredibly condescending. To imply that you need to be married OR have children to lead a fulfilled life is ridiculous. I love being married, and think it's great--but I would never tell someone that they won't be happy long term if they don't get married. Who am I to tell someone else what will make them happy?

You will live a wonderful and fulfilling life if you follow your passions and love those around you, whoever they are. Spouse and children are not a prerequisite to happiness and fulfillment. Nor are they a guarantee.

I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 12:04 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,651,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
I agree.
Yep, you said it. It's totally condescending and I sometimes wonder why people do that.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:10 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,851,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I find this incredibly condescending. To imply that you need to be married OR have children to lead a fulfilled life is ridiculous. I love being married, and think it's great--but I would never tell someone that they won't be happy long term if they don't get married. Who am I to tell someone else what will make them happy?

You will live a wonderful and fulfilling life if you follow your passions and love those around you, whoever they are. Spouse and children are not a prerequisite to happiness and fulfillment. Nor are they a guarantee.
You're right on here. The condescension is coming from all these posters trying to project their opinions with no consideration for differences in preferences. Live and let live I say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
Yep, you said it. It's totally condescending and I sometimes wonder why people do that.
I belive some people market marriage in that way because they want to trick a single person into their miserable life.

21,192 posts, read 25,192,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
Why do people start threads about marriage sucking? Or why do people try to put down people who want children or people who live with people before they get married?

Old 06-28-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Why do people start threads about marriage sucking?
Because it's taboo in western culture to talk about marriage in a bad way openly. This (online) is the only place where you can do it.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I belive some people market marriage in that way because they want to trick a single person into their miserable life.
Look - marriage isn't for everyone. And yes - some marriages suck and end in divorce. On the other hand - when you find the right person - marriage (or any truly committed relationship) enhances your life and makes everything better. I'm happier just having my husband in the same room as me. If you've never experienced this - it's something that you won't be able to understand. That isn't meant to be condescending at all. It's sort of like - how can you imagine how relaxing a great massage can be if you've never had one? How can you imagine what the best food tastes like if you've never had it? If I had never met my husband and was still single - could I have had a happy life? Sure! Is my life a million times better because of him? Yes. Would I tell someone to get married simply to get married? HELL NO!!! Getting married just for the sake of getting married is a recipe for disaster. When you meet the right person - you'll WANT to marry them. You won't be able to imagine your life with out them. Until you get to that point - there is no point in even thinking about getting married. And if you never meet that person - well, I guess marriage just isn't in the cards for you.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:16 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,037,916 times
Quote:
Ah, I see you have stumbled across the secret society of married people that live to trick single people into marriage.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Because it's taboo in western culture to talk about marriage in a bad way openly. This (online) is the only place where you can do it.
That's not true. I have friends that have been divorced and have sworn off marriage. I don't blame them. They also don't put down all married people or say that all marriages suck. They simply have come to the realization that it wasn't for them. Some of them are currently in long term relationships - and they are perfectly happy. I also know couples that have been living together for over 20 or 30 years that don't feel a need to get married. It's not a big deal. They aren't raging against married people or marriage - it just wasn't for them.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:23 PM

Your points are noted Dewdrop93.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships