Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 08:56 AM

6,794 posts, read 5,674,926 times

Advertisements

I think it boils down seeing is believing.

If you have never seen some of the great wonders of the world, you simply can't imagine how beautiful they truly are.. marriage is the same principle. If you have never been married, you simply can't imagine how beautiful it is...

Marriage is about creating a family. Some folks may be better suited for the single life without kids but most of us are not. Who is to say which is better than the other. For me its a no brainer. Married with Kids is the way to go. I love my wife and kids, my family. Life could not be better. Most of my time is spent with my kids and wife. I do occasionally carve out a few hours for golf on Saturday with my buddies or perhaps even a weekend Vegas trip just to get some away time. But most of my spare time is spent with my family. I wouldn't want it any other way.

When I was single I had a great life and there are times when I think back and wonder why did I ever get married and have kids.. but then one of my kids will remind me why I got married and how great my life is now. There simply is no greater joy than watching your kids grow up.. none.

If you are single and have a great life then there is no reason why you can't be married with kids and have an even greater life. A wife and kids will only make your life more meaningful. Don't figure this out when your 85 and have no one but nurses to take care of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 10:07 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,289,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
If you have never seen some of the great wonders of the world, you simply can't imagine how beautiful they truly are.. marriage is the same principle. If you have never been married, you simply can't imagine how beautiful it is...
The thing is that with a natural wonder of the world you will MOSTLY hear positive things about it, see people coming back to share the experience all happy about it, and so on. With marriage, more than 50% of couples end up in divorce.

Quote:
Don't figure this out when your 85 and have no one but nurses to take care of you.
That is, if that guy lived in a cave with no social life what so ever. Being a single guy doens't mean he doesn't have family, relatives, friends, etc. So I am not sure about the whole "oh, you will die completely lonely" expression that is told to single males who are reluctant to get married.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:22 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,417,895 times
Thumbs up hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
This is my conclusion, I am 34, single, no kids, never been married, probably never will, I don't even understand why people in the USA are so obsessed with this very antiquated concept.

Some of the brightest people I know around my age are not married either and truly enjoying life, I have a friend who is extremely smart and educated and she has no desire to get married or have kids.

I am far from being wealthy but just because I am not married or have kids, I have enough money to do most of the things I love like traveling.

I don't even understand why most people get married anyways, it seems like most people do it because they have been pressured to do it by someone else or because society "expects" them do it, I could care less about what people or society "expect" from me.

Anyways, I would love to know some of the "rational" reasons why people get married.
Sorry, can't think of any...it never made sense to me either. I love me just the way I am...single, well educated and nicely employed with a huge bank account, two dogs who love me and a 27 year LTR with a gorgeous home on the beach on the Island of Maui...what else is there?
Koale

Old 06-28-2011, 11:17 AM

6,794 posts, read 5,674,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
The thing is that with a natural wonder of the world you will MOSTLY hear positive things about it, see people coming back to share the experience all happy about it, and so on. With marriage, more than 50% of couples end up in divorce.

no doubt a lot of marriages end in divorce but even so, its worth the risk IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
That is, if that guy lived in a cave with no social life what so ever. Being a single guy doens't mean he doesn't have family, relatives, friends, etc. So I am not sure about the whole "oh, you will die completely lonely" expression that is told to single males who are reluctant to get married.

If your 85 and never been married and have no kids, chances are your gonna die lonely.. all of your other family will be gone and most of your social buddies as well. You might find some friends at the old folks home to keep you company but you will have no one to come visit you and brag about the grand kids and great grand kids.

In the end, the only people you can depend on is family. You might think you don't need a family, but you do and you will. You might say that your closest friends are family and no doubt some are but unless they are 85 and still single as well, they wont have as much time for you as they did when you were 35.

At the end of everyone's life, there are regrets but I can't think of a more remorseful feeling than reaching the end of my life and not being able to look back at the lives that I helped create. You could cure cancer and end world hunger and it still would NOT compare to the feeling you would get if your OWN child or grandchild cured cancer or ended world hunger!

It is exceptionally niave to think that you can easily live a wonderful and fullfilling life without ever having a wife and kids. You might be able to, but chances are you can't.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:23 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,781,058 times
Quote:
This is my conclusion, I am 34, single, no kids, never been married, probably never will, I don't even understand why people in the USA are so obsessed with this very antiquated concept.

Some of the brightest people I know around my age are not married either and truly enjoying life, I have a friend who is extremely smart and educated and she has no desire to get married or have kids.

I am far from being wealthy but just because I am not married or have kids, I have enough money to do most of the things I love like traveling.

I don't even understand why most people get married anyways, it seems like most people do it because they have been pressured to do it by someone else or because society "expects" them do it, I could care less about what people or society "expect" from me.

Anyways, I would love to know some of the "rational" reasons why people get married.
We each have the freedom to decide if marriage is for us, or not. If its not for you, then you have that perogative...but please dont condemn the sanctity of marriage which IS God-ordained for very good reasons . You may change your mind about committed marriage after youve had a good many years of playing the sexual hedonistic game and personally experiencing the superficiality of using others for temporary pleasure and never having the peace of knowing someone will ALWAYS being there based on solid lifelong commitment no matter what . You may also change your mind about having kids and experiencing something that brings enormous joy to your life , and to them. There is much happiness and joy to be had as a lifelong Single but there are also some valueable things that will not be realized too . I hope you will have more of an open mind on this vitally important issue as you proceed thru life and weighing the perspective of our culture in addition to that of a wise Pastor might be a good step to take....that is, if you want a fuller perspective on the subject.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:35 AM

2,732 posts, read 3,588,755 times
Quote:

I agree. I not married nor will I ever get married unless I can marry 3-4 women at one time being that I believe polygamy.

As far as "rational" reasons as to why people get married, well, for guys, it's the usual where they fall deeply in love with a woman and so they want to solidify that belief through some kind of ceremony.

As far as women, they mostly seem to get married to secure financial security for themselves and their children.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:40 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,555,565 times
you may feel this way now because you are young...but as you mature (some dont but those who do) you realize that life is better when you share it with someone. When you are sick someone to nurse you..when you want to talk...someone is there.

I couldnt imagine being single at my age (40) now that sucks.

If you are happy single then kudos to you. But me? I absolutely love being marriage.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:40 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,704,103 times
Quote:

If someone has to tell you ,as smart as you claim to be, then it's unlikely that you comprehend the reasons.

Find someone who is much older than you that has lived the single life and ask then what they missed the most in life. Being alone isn't all that great........

Old 06-28-2011, 11:44 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,957,010 times
Quote:
It is exceptionally niave to think that you can easily live a wonderful and fullfilling life without ever having a wife and kids. You might be able to, but chances are you can't.
I find this incredibly condescending. To imply that you need to be married OR have children to lead a fulfilled life is ridiculous. I love being married, and think it's great--but I would never tell someone that they won't be happy long term if they don't get married. Who am I to tell someone else what will make them happy?

You will live a wonderful and fulfilling life if you follow your passions and love those around you, whoever they are. Spouse and children are not a prerequisite to happiness and fulfillment. Nor are they a guarantee.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:00 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,588,755 times
Quote:

If your 85 and never been married and have no kids, chances are your gonna die lonely..
I work with old people and even the ones who had big families have died alone, or they will die alone.

Why? Because the husbands died about 10-20 years BEFORE their wives ( or the reverse) and their children started lives in other states and for whatever reason never bothered to come home and pay a visit or offer to live together.

It's crazy, I know one guy who is about 80 and his house is a mess because he does not have the energy to keep it up; his 40ish year old son lives about 20 minutes away but does not care. This guy in his 80's spends all day watching TV alone pretty much waiting to die.

I know another person (a woman) who is in her 70s, she only has use of one arm. Her kids are aware of her situation but they don't come around except during the holidays. She has to have strangers like me offer to help her move something or lend her a helping had when she needs it because obviously her "family" does not care.

Quote:
all of your other family will be gone and most of your social buddies as well. You might find some friends at the old folks home to keep you company but you will have no one to come visit you and brag about the grand kids and great grand kids.

In the end, the only people you can depend on is family. You might think you don't need a family, but you do and you will. You might say that your closest friends are family and no doubt some are but unless they are 85 and still single as well, they wont have as much time for you as they did when you were 35.

At the end of everyone's life, there are regrets but I can't think of a more remorseful feeling than reaching the end of my life and not being able to look back at the lives that I helped create. You could cure cancer and end world hunger and it still would NOT compare to the feeling you would get if your OWN child or grandchild cured cancer or ended world hunger!

You would be right if it were 1882, but it's 2011 where Americans don't even know their own neighbors and families are so broken apart from work, school, stress, and distrusts that many Americans live alone in isolation.

The world is such today where you're BETTER OFF not having a family and utilize that time/freed up income to secure your own retirement and misc pleasures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships