Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 09:13 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor-jesus View Post
Whats the minimum a man has to earn?
It all depends on what your life goals are. And you need to find a woman that shares your same vision. Otherwise, there will be stress and conflict in your relationship/marriage.

In the beginning, when you are only dating, a woman will prefer if you like to dress in a style that matches what she is wearing, and that you like to do the same things when out on a date. And early on, you should find out what she would like out of a marriage. If you both want kids, then find out how you'd want to raise them. Would you want her to be a stay at home mother? And would you want your kids to go into the trades or to go to college? And where do you want to live? And would you like to rent or own a home?

All this stuff need not be asked right away when you start dating a woman, but it's silly to waste time in a relationship with any woman that doesn't have your same goals in life. And if those goals are different from yours, don't expect to be able to change them. I've found that most adults don't change in terms of habits and wants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 09:13 AM

104 posts, read 108,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
BIG mistake, you can't afford it there on your income.
Not even the Jersey suburbs? I know NYC proper will be too expensive. I guess I'll have to rethink. And maybe settle for a smaller but still big city in the 500k to a million inhabitants range.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:14 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,630,260 times
Quote:
... but I do realise that blue collar working class guys are not as attractive for the average woman as a white collar office type worker.
For the average woman? I'd say it's at least a 50/50 chance that they prefer blue- to white-collar.

C'mon, man - you MUST know by now that dirty fingernails and the smell of a real working guy turn a LOT of women on ... but I suppose it depends what kind of woman you're looking for.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:16 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,181,467 times
Quote:
Not even the Jersey suburbs? I know NYC proper will be too expensive. I guess I'll have to rethink. And maybe settle for a smaller but still big city in the 500k to a million inhabitants range.
It depends on what you do for a living and how badly you want to make things work. I have friends in the NYC (myself included at one point in time) that make it work on practically nothing. But, in many cases, you'll also make more money for the same job in a bigger city than you would in a smaller city.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:18 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,047,026 times
People, as in both sexes, need to make enough to pay their bills, save a little, and have a decent life. As long as you make that much, in this economy, you are doing OK. If you have more, great.

A lot of it isn't how much you make, but how you manage the money you do have. Too many of us spend more than we make and manage what we have poorly. Even if you make a good salary, being in this position makes you a poor risk.

I would take the responsible money manager with a low income over the profligate spender any day. If it's just a date, who cares and I wouldn't know anything about his finances anyway. But if you are talking LTR and working towards a future, responsible wins every time.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:19 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,212,455 times
48K is better than most. I dont see why you are insecure about that.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:26 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
48K is better than most. I dont see why you are insecure about that.
Depends on where he ends up. $48K will go a lot further in a city like Cincinnati than it will in NYC.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:43 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,212,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Depends on where he ends up. $48K will go a lot further in a city like Cincinnati than it will in NYC.
Regardless, 48K is a higher income for an individual than most in the USA, because it is above average. That's all I said. Of course, you would have to make more to live in Malibu or some tony apartment tower.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:51 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,024,007 times
Yearly salary is not really important.

What is important is your overall financial situation.

Are you mired in debt and living on credit? Are you able to save? If in a relationship, or looking for one that leads to marriage, will you be able to afford these things are are you looking at financial hardships.

These are different than salary. One person making $30K a year could be in far better financial shape than someone making $60K a year.

It sounds like your overall financial situation is very good at the moment so you should be fine.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:42 AM

220 posts, read 595,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
For the average woman? I'd say it's at least a 50/50 chance that they prefer blue- to white-collar.

C'mon, man - you MUST know by now that dirty fingernails and the smell of a real working guy turn a LOT of women on ... but I suppose it depends what kind of woman you're looking for.
Umm, YEAH!! One of the sexiest videos in the world IMO is Maddonna's Express Yourself. Haven't seen it in a while, but I remember the tall dark and handsome guy coming home from work and grabbing her in the all-white sheets, leaving black oil stains from his hands all over the sheets LOL. Blue Collar workers are OK in my book!!

For me and a long-term relationship, the minimum would be $50K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships