Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 11:07 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,140,553 times

Advertisements

Imo, 45k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 11:29 AM

17,639 posts, read 22,653,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor-jesus View Post
Thats reasonable. I'll probably earn 50k and more in a few years. I'm 20 now. If you don't mind me asking, how much do you earn per year?

Become skilled at Mig & Tig welding, you will earn more bro.

You could live in Portland, Oregon.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:37 AM

104 posts, read 108,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Become skilled at Mig & Tig welding, you will earn more bro.

You could live in Portland, Oregon.
Yep thats what I'm aiming at.

Thing is I want to live on the east coast, the west coast and the midwest(even though its cheaper) doesn't appeal to me at all.

If the New York/Philadelphia area is to expensive, maybe something like Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Boston, Providence, Newark(yes even Newark lol), Baltimore or Hartford would be good.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:07 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,867,274 times
make enough to support your family I think is probably where it should be at... there is no number to it, it depends entirely on the family... so go out and meet girls and if the two of you can support a family + retirement, that's all that really matters...

Old 07-01-2011, 12:09 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times
Quote:
Yep thats what I'm aiming at.

Thing is I want to live on the east coast, the west coast and the midwest(even though its cheaper) doesn't appeal to me at all.

If the New York/Philadelphia area is to expensive, maybe something like Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Boston, Providence, Newark(yes even Newark lol), Baltimore or Hartford would be good.
I'm curious as to why the west coast isn't appealing?

As for me, I'd prefer someone to have a career in my field (it's a bit of an obsession and can be hard to understand by 'outsiders' ) and the wages aren't that great... As long as he's surviving comfortably and isn't mired in debt I have no real preferences.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:13 PM

104 posts, read 108,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I'm curious as to why the west coast isn't appealing?
With the pacific northwest in particular, I dislike the nature and climate.

Cali could be alright but I guess I just like the east coast alot better, Chicago is the only city outside the eastcoast that I could really conisder moving too.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:21 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,653,975 times
Quote:

Cali could be alright but I guess I just like the east coast alot better, Chicago is the only city outside the eastcoast that I could really conisder moving too.
January one year i flew out of Monterey,CA. It was 70 degrees. I flew into O'hare airport. It was 15 degrees. The wind blew me to the train station, to go to Great Lakes Navy A Schools.

No Thankyou. I'll take the West Coast any day.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:35 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times
Quote:

I was just curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
January one year i flew out of Monterey,CA. It was 70 degrees. I flew into O'hare airport. It was 15 degrees. The wind blew me to the train station, to go to Great Lakes Navy A Schools.

No Thankyou. I'll take the West Coast any day.
for aviation, California is perfect... There aren't many places you can fly basically year round with awesome weather. I might be moving to Alaska next year so it's gonna be a huge shock!

Old 07-01-2011, 12:43 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,048,381 times
Quote:
I earn 48k per year, I could potentially earn more in the future like up to 55-60k... But I doub't anymore than that.

I am a blue collar worker, I am not the academic type. I went to community college to learn my trade(welding) so I do have some college experience although it was only 6 months. This is what I want to do. Am I succesful enough?

I would never pursue a more succesful woman who earns more money, but I do realise that blue collar working class guys are not as attractive for the average woman as a white collar office type worker. Just curious about womens view on this. What would you say is the minimum a man has to earn for you to be in a relationship with him?

And no, I'm not suggesting women only care about money. But I do realise that having a good job is important. And I'm not sure if mine qualifies as a good job in womens oppinion.
Speaking as a white collar guy, I don't agree with you. In fact I know a lot of women who are specifically attracted to blue collar guys.

48-60k is definitely enough IMO. Use your money wisely. Manage your debt.

Your not going to attract a woman based on your income alone, you don't make enough for that (nor do most white collar guys).

Your income shouldn't hold you back though.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:11 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,747,131 times
A lot of people who get degrees don't have a way to apply their degree so that they make more than you do or will in the future.
Many professional jobs have been outsourced, pushing down wages for white collar.
Luckily for you, I don't think it is too easy to outsource welding and not that practical to import, and illegal aliens won't be hired for welding in the same numbers as for other blue collar jobs.
You are very young and make pretty good money. You have time on your side and no student loans, so use this to your advantage and save for many years.

You have a lot going for you with your choice of occupation. So don't worry about someone else doing better than you. Most aren't anyway. And if some women are turned off by blue collar, who cares. Many are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships