Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 05:39 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,678,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Can the wives of these men marry as many men as they want to?
Most women don't want multiple partners. If they did, they could easily and unapologetically juggle multiple men in their 20s and early 30s. Very, very few choose to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 05:41 PM

289 posts, read 311,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Fundamentalist Mormons practice polygamy who are a minority of a minority and they live as outlaws, and do not conform to our cultural views in the United States about marriage. Mainstream Mormons do NOT practice polygamy.
I believe you forgot a word at the end there.... I'm pretty sure it should read:

Mainstream Mormons do NOT practice polygamy anymore.

They don't "conform to our cultural views in the United States about marriage." because the mainstream LDS Church changed its views regarding marriage.

Yet, now, when some other group wishes to do the same (change cultural views about marriage in the United States), the Church sees it as the greatest of affronts and spends large amounts of time/money trying to prevent such a "redefinition". I truly don't understand the double standard. Well, I do....yet I don't....

Old 07-15-2011, 05:58 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,698,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Can the wives of these men marry as many men as they want to?
Nope, double standard right there.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:34 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,407,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Actually what you describe is true of men and always has been, however women ARE monogamous by nature. Most male and female mammals are this way, and it is purely driven biology.
I completely disagree.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:12 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,474,130 times
Quote:
Actually what you describe is true of men and always has been, however women ARE monogamous by nature. Most male and female mammals are this way, and it is purely driven biology.
LOL I laughed for real when I read this. I can quote so many studies and basic biological reasons why your statement is false. Culturally, you may have a point, but not biologically.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:13 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyfor View Post
I believe you forgot a word at the end there.... I'm pretty sure it should read:

Mainstream Mormons do NOT practice polygamy anymore.
Since we're getting picky... The way it really should read is, "Mainstream Mormons have not practiced polygamy for well over 100 years. There is no faster way a Mormon can get himself excommunicated from the Church is to be found to be involved in a polygamous relationship. There are no exceptions.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:14 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
We have a very Christian view on marriage, which is mostly against our biological urges.

While I'm strictly a one man woman, I personally have no problem with modified views on marriage - gay marriage, open marriage, polygamy... I'm fine with all versions of what consenting adults agree to.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:34 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,678,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
LOL I laughed for real when I read this. I can quote so many studies and basic biological reasons why your statement is false. Culturally, you may have a point, but not biologically.
Don't belittle me because you disagree with my post, that's very immature and a complete waste of my leisure time. There are a LOT of things you post with which I do not agree, yet I don't childishly do this "LOL" nonsense. Grow up.

Now if you want to actually have an adult discussion, I would be interested in seeing these studies that show women are biologically not hard wired towards monogamy.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:48 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,199,065 times
Quote:
I would be interested in seeing these studies that show women are biologically not hard wired towards monogamy.
I was just reading this. It's interesting.

"Women are naturally monogamous. Men tend to rove.

That assumption is not only part of popular belief, it has also been enshrined by science. Darwin, writing of animal mating habits, referred to the "elusiveness of females." More recently, Donald Symons, in his influential 1979 book "The Evolution of Human Sexuality," contended that it is natural for men to seek out multiple sexual partners while women are motivated to settle down with a single "good provider."
It's not true, says Sarah Hrdy.

Hrdy is Professor of Anthropology Emeritus at the University of California, Davis, and the author of "Mother Nature: A History of Mothers, Infants and Natural Selection" (Pantheon, 1999). On Oct. 12, she delivered the keynote lecture at the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study's first major symposium, "Gender and Inquiry."

The only reason scientists assume females are more monogamous and less sexually driven than men is that Darwin, the first and most influential writer on human evolution, unconsciously reflected the Victorian mores of his time, Hrdy said. If the theory of evolution had emerged a few hundred years earlier, when common belief assumed women to be more lustful than men, the results would have been quite different.
The assumption that females of all species tend to be less promiscuous than males simply does not fit the facts, Hrdy contended."

You can read the rest with examples here.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:35 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,813,090 times
In a sense it doesn't matter if women biologically tend toward monogamy or not, though I am in the camp that does not believe that is true. It really has nothing to so with Dan Savage's point anyway.

The bottom line is this... not everyone is the same. So even if most people prefer X, there will still be some who prefer Y, Z, A, B, or C with a little but of D thrown in. When we make blanket hard and fast rules that are supposed to cover everyone, there will automatically be people for whom the rules don't work. And in this case, since the "rules" are covering behavior by consenting adults, why do we need them? There is no reason to hold back people who could build happy marriages on their own terms IMO. I prefer more people leading happy, fulfilled and stable lives than not. I honestly don't care what they need to do in their bedrooms to get there, as long as everyone involved is a grown up with fully functioning capacities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships