Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 08:42 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,703,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
All the result of feminism. Feminism rules Hollywood and the media.
Which is why actresses can still have leading roles and land gorgeous eye-candy even if they're 60, fat and balding right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 08:46 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,808,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
In a word YES.... Eat, Pray, Love was responsible for at least two breakups that I know of and caused problems for me as well...
I'm sure you had nothing to do with it.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:46 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,292,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I agree. I watched Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast and Sleeping Beauty as a child and it still resonates with romance.

Romance is not new, it has been around since the third century in literature. It saw a resurgence in Medieval times where it turned into an adventure for the Knight to win the heart of the Lady.

French poetry, Olde English literature, all full of romance. Who can forget Chaucer, Beckett, Lord Byron, the list is endless.
Well, even then, Romance was viewed as an artificial construct. And while Chaucer wrote romances, remember to keep those stories within the context of his assorted narrators in the Canterbury Tales. After all, the Wife of Bath and the Miller held utterly different views that someone such as Sir Thopas, whose ultra-romantic tale was meant to be insipid, really a send-up of the romantic garbage of Chaucer's day.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:48 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,771,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, even then, Romance was viewed as an artificial construct. And while Chaucer wrote romances, remember to keep those stories within the context of his assorted narrators in the Canterbury Tales. After all, the Wife of Bath and the Miller held utterly different views that someone such as Sir Thopas, whose ultra-romantic tale was meant to be insipid, really a send-up of the romantic garbage of Chaucer's day.
It was certainly not our modern day romance that's for sure. And I agree, you have to look at the context.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:48 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,808,767 times
i don't see any of this as a problem.. it just gives you a roadmap to their bullsh*t fantasies.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:53 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,804,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I can't believe we read Chaucer's "The Miller's Tale" in high school. There's some X-rated stuff in there! I think they just wanted to see if we were really paying attention.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:01 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,318,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Actually male Jews run Hollywood. Everyone with a brain knows that
Exactly. As well as the whole country.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:11 AM

78,868 posts, read 61,050,203 times
LOL...films, books etc. often deal with fantastic situations as they are intended as ENTERTAINMENT.

If someone (male or female) interprets pop culture stuff like this and applies it to their outlook towards dating then that is their business and thier possible problem.

It's impossible to deny that it isn't reality, you have guys worshipping and emulating pro-athletes, taking steroids etc. and women developing eating disorders....people dressing like Paris Hilton or one of the Jersey Shore guys and so on and so forth. (Heck how many guys copied the Don Johnson Miami Vice look? lol.)

So, why worry about it. Just take care of your own business unless it's something impacting your life.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:27 PM

951 posts, read 1,814,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyShouldIWorry View Post
Most women are in their forties before they realize that money doesn't grow on trees.

Younger horny guys try to make them believe that it does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Oh, BS.
Well at least my "fans" liked it!

Old 07-21-2011, 12:48 PM

36,817 posts, read 31,098,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyShouldIWorry View Post
Well at least my "fans" liked it!
Yeah, that gives it credibility.
Still BS, but hey, at least you feel validated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships