Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever been "picked up" by a stranger on the street?
Yes, and it went well 10 26.32%
Yes, and it went badly 5 13.16%
I've been asked out by a complete stranger but I said no 19 50.00%
I've never been asked out by a complete stranger 4 10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 06:14 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,214,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
They flirted...but that was it. Just the other day I had this guy flirt with me at the grocery store. We were looking over ground beef. And made some jokes and how the grocery store had buy one get one free but was cleaned out.
Ahh, the grocery store. I used to run into this same guy at the grocery store now and then since it was near both our houses. I knew he was single and that's about it. We were in the checkout line, myself behind him, and he pulled out one of those huge 12 rolls of toilet paper packages and I just couldn't resist, 'Big weekend planned?" He started laughing and did invite me over for a small BBQ and the rest was dating history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 06:53 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,451,290 times
I voted twice.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:12 AM

31 posts, read 32,768 times
No and I would never go out with a stranger like that. It is kind of risky.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:07 AM

973 posts, read 1,706,812 times
I did it once in Belgrade. I was at the crosswalk and people were coming from the other direction and this man and I looked at each other and smiled. I chuckled a bit as I could tell that I blushed and turned around to look at him and when I did, I found him turned around and looking back at me, too. Welll, he did a U turn and crossed back onto my side of the street, and we began a conversation. He asked me to go for coffee (outdoor cafes are everywhere) and I did, and it was a nice couple of hours. But since I was leaving to go back home in two days, nothing came of it. Now, would I do that in America?? Probably not!

Old 07-25-2011, 11:08 AM

78,568 posts, read 60,772,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
I'm trying to understand why some men try to pick up dates out in public and whether or not that actually works. I'm not talking about quick sexual harassment/catcalling but when a guy actually accosts you for your name and phone number or asks if they can "get to know you". Whenever this happens to me I'm baffled that a complete stranger would assume that I'd just go on a date without knowing anything about him (and he doesn't know anything about me!).
So ladies, have you ever actually decided to go out with a guy you "met" five seconds ago? If so, did it go well?
Men are welcome to post their thoughts but please don't vote...I'm sure you'd like to see the real numbers anyway!
Ain't no holler back girl....lol. /gwen steffani

Old 07-25-2011, 11:17 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,640,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Ahh, the grocery store. I used to run into this same guy at the grocery store now and then since it was near both our houses. I knew he was single and that's about it. We were in the checkout line, myself behind him, and he pulled out one of those huge 12 rolls of toilet paper packages and I just couldn't resist, 'Big weekend planned?" He started laughing and did invite me over for a small BBQ and the rest was dating history.
I tried the same line with a lady in the grocery store - she had a double-pack of Monistat 7.

Needless to say, our weekend wasn't real fun.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:31 AM

946 posts, read 2,920,297 times
I don't understand when women say, "I won't...it's too risky because I don't even know the guy." Nobody is telling you to go straight to his apartment, you're obviously going to have a drink or coffee out in public and where's the harm in that? If anything, you get to meet someone new and hopefully have a good time. Everyone's a stranger before you get to know them. I've done it and it's never really developed into anything serious, but I've had a good time and one of those times a guy did pick me up on the street turned out to be the one of the best times I've ever had. Unfortunately, I was abroad and it couldn't develop into anything further.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:59 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,640,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
I don't understand when women say, "I won't...it's too risky because I don't even know the guy." Nobody is telling you to go straight to his apartment, you're obviously going to have a drink or coffee out in public and where's the harm in that? If anything, you get to meet someone new and hopefully have a good time. Everyone's a stranger before you get to know them. I've done it and it's never really developed into anything serious, but I've had a good time and one of those times a guy did pick me up on the street turned out to be the one of the best times I've ever had. Unfortunately, I was abroad and it couldn't develop into anything further.
That makes me wonder whether the "art" of street pick-ups is far more alive and well in Europe than in the US, because of the stronger emphasis on street-level living. Would you say that where you were was more like an American Main Street from 1948, with stores, shops and people buzzing around, rather than the segregated and separated super-boxes that we call "shopping" now?

And if so, is there now a specific set of rules to follow for mall pick-ups?

I believe that interacting with people in the flesh every day gives one a certain fluidity with social intercourse. Interacting with them electronically blunts that ability. If you are more comfortable among people in general, you'll have an easier time being picked-up on the street.

Just a theory ...

Old 07-25-2011, 12:31 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,413,269 times
Yes, I have. I didn't/don't think anything of it. No different than being hit on by an unfamiliar guy at a bar or club. I'm always flattered even if I'm not interested in the man who may have approached me.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:42 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,285,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
That makes me wonder whether the "art" of street pick-ups is far more alive and well in Europe than in the US, because of the stronger emphasis on street-level living. Would you say that where you were was more like an American Main Street from 1948, with stores, shops and people buzzing around, rather than the segregated and separated super-boxes that we call "shopping" now?

And if so, is there now a specific set of rules to follow for mall pick-ups?

I believe that interacting with people in the flesh every day gives one a certain fluidity with social intercourse. Interacting with them electronically blunts that ability. If you are more comfortable among people in general, you'll have an easier time being picked-up on the street.

Just a theory ...
Tough to say... I would think women who are more socialized would have an easier time protecting themselves from being picked up on the street because they would be more in-tuned to social situations and be able to pick up on incongruencies by the pick-up dude... then again not many women are "used" to being talked to by strangers on the street so I doubt any type of socializing can prepare someone for talking to a stranger like that. It's probably a wash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships