Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 02:10 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,467,383 times

Advertisements

If waitresses call everyone sweety, then why hasn't this happened before? The fact that this stands out means it's not something that normally happens to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 02:12 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
It means she calls everybody "sweetie."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanderous View Post
She's just trying to be friendly so you'll give her a bigger tip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
They call me sweetie too and Im a female! It means nothing other than "tip me cause Im friendly". I hate when 20 somethings think its cutesy to talk like a granny before the grey rolls out. Pet peeve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Yup. Some people call everyone sweetie, or honey, or sugar, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
She's just trying to be friendly. I wouldn't say that it's just because she wants a bigger tip, I've met people in our age group who do actually call people stuff like that. It's usually not meant to mean anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
She's probably a career waitress they have to start with those sweety, honey, blah blah talk early.
Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
She's trying to come across as friendly in order to get more tips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
Lots of servers call everyone "sweetie" or "hon" or some other cutesy name, regardless of their age. There have been other threads on this subject.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
She's a waitress. She calls everyone "sweetie". Or "hon" or maybe even "sugar".

<edit>Heh! PJ beat me to it!
I think you have your answer. Although - it seems like this is not the answer you were looking for since you keep trying to delve deeper into the whole thing. It's really very simple.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:13 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
If waitresses call everyone sweety, then why hasn't this happened before? The fact that this stands out means it's not something that normally happens to me.
Not every waitress calls everyone sweetie. That's not what we have been saying. We are saying that this particular waitress probably calls everyone sweetie. This is not such an uncommon thing.

What is the correct answer that you are looking for?

Old 07-22-2011, 02:17 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Heck, my eye doctor calls me "sweetie". Good god, maybe she's been hitting on me all these years. "Stare into the light, sweetie." "Don't blink, hon." How could I have possibly thought of that as anything other than blatant seduction?

Old 07-22-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Heck, my eye doctor calls me "sweetie". Good god, maybe she's been hitting on me all these years. "Stare into the light, sweetie." "Don't blink, hon." How could I have possibly thought of that as anything other than blatant seduction?
Is your eye doctor a lot older than you?

I've been called sweety by older (WAY older) women and I think nothing of it. Before this waitress, the last person to call me sweety was one of my grandma's friends.

The fact that this waitress was close in age to me (and she's attractive) makes me wonder.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:21 PM

And I never said this waitress was hitting on me. That's why I think she might of thought I was younger. Because I'm not a ladies man.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:21 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,402,803 times
Quote:
Is your eye doctor a lot older than you?

I've been called sweety by older (WAY older) women and I think nothing of it. Before this waitress, the last person to call me sweety was one of my grandma's friends.

The fact that this waitress was close in age to me (and she's attractive) makes me wonder.
So how long you gonna wonder?

Old 07-22-2011, 02:32 PM

30,995 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonata36 View Post
Maybe she IS a granny? My friend's brother is a new grandfather and he's 31 and no grey hair at all.
That is so wrong unless he's from some third world country.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:20 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,106,783 times
Quote:
Recently, I went out to eat and the waitress (I'd estimate she was 21) called me sweety. I'm 20. Did she think I was younger than I actually am? Because up until then, I never heard a girl around my age call me sweety
I don't know. Come to think of it, I don't know if I've ever had a waitress younger than me call me "sweetie." I know they'll call older people "sweetie," so maybe there's an age range where they'll call someone older than they are "sweetie." Maybe once they think they're a senior citizen or something.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:24 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,040,657 times
Dude ... that wasn't a "waitress".

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships