Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2011, 06:17 PM

25,899 posts, read 42,806,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
The fact I should get equal pay and equal job opportunities, doesn't mean I don't like the traditional roles of a relationship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefetio View Post
Oh really?

I'd like to see your definition of "traditional roles". Because 99 times out of 100, "traditional roles" is women code for "the man does this..."

But hey, maybe your definition also includes what women are supposed to do (and the man not do)... I'd love to see it.
I know you were asking Mikala, but if you're interested, my husband and I follow pretty traditional roles. He is the head of the household, meaning that we discuss important matters but I trust his judgment and I'll concede to him if called for. He respects my input very much, and it's not like he bosses me around, but I don't overrule him. It's not an easy role to play for either of us, and I know it's not how some couples live. I still consider myself a feminist because I believe women are equal under the law, and I respect the choices women make for themselves, whether it's career woman, stay-at-home mom, homemaker wife, single, married, kids, no kids, whatever. MY role in MY family is mine alone.

And for what it's worth, in the dating world, stating that "men should" or "women should" doesn't make a lot of sense. Nobody is a match for everybody. There's no point in saying men should do this or that, because obviously they're not all going to. "The man I want to date or marry should" is more appropriate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 06:18 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,052,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
As I've mentioned in the past, if you want to date a woman that has no interest in being wined and dined, go for hippy women! They'd rather hike, kayak, camp, mediate, go on a road trip, do an art project, etc. They're into actually doing fun stuff.
lol... how did you know? Best idea all thread

thing is I want to date the hippy women, but when it comes to settling down I would rather find the traditional one.

The bitter part of the pill to swallow, for me, is that I don't really believe those traditional women are out there. I can find hippies to date, no problem. Finding a woman who believes in traditions (not just the ones men adhere to, but also the ones women do), that's much harder. That's where the whole "don't date American women" attitude comes from. Sexist or not, chauvinistic or not, I'd rather marry a woman who doesn't believe in all that "independent women" BS.

Now, you might be thinking, how can this guy be against traditional roles then? I'm not! I stick up for men paying the tab, asking girls out, etc. I do all those things by default when I date. My frustration comes from not finding a woman who will reciprocate, who has empathy and generosity towards men.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:19 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,793,958 times
As soon as women start registering for the draft at 18, I'll start listening to this equality jibber jabber. Until then, you are not my equal.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:21 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,242,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin070388 View Post
So you can twist my words? No, I'm not required to answer your question.
I'm not trying to twist your words - just make some sort of sense out of your posts. It's really a simple yes or no question. But you don't have to answer it. I'm not forcing anyone to do anything they don't want to do.

The whole point of my thread was that equal rights has nothing to do with dating.

Honestly, many men that I know in real life prefer to be the one who does the pursuing, the paying, the taking care of, etc. Most of the women that I know have no problem asking someone out if they want to and no problem paying or splitting the bill. My best friend discovered that she actually likes cooking for her husband and taking care of him. She is a college professor and grew up rebelling against the woman being the caretaker. But she realized that she actually gets a lot of joy taking care of her husband. My husband is fairly old fashioned in some ways - although he is 100% supportive of me in my career. I just think people seem to be so hung up on how men and women should act - what's correct, what isn't, etc. Who the hell cares? Just be yourself and find someone that loves you for you - and the you love in return.

And women are not lazy if they don't ask a guy out any more than a guy is lazy if he doesn't ask a woman out.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:22 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,687,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Relationships, marriage, families aren't about equality. They are about compatibility.

Nobody is making you pay. If you don't want to do any of these things - you don't have to. It's really as simple as that.
But Dewdrop, you fail to recognize the real problem here. What you don't understand is that if these pour souls don't ask out those lazy, gold diggers, then those lazy, gold diggers won't date them!

See the problem?

Old 07-23-2011, 06:24 PM

406 posts, read 582,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshoresoxgo View Post
as soon as women start registering for the draft at 18, i'll start listening to this equality jibber jabber. Until then, you are not my equal.

You're bad.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I still consider myself a feminist because I believe women are equal under the law
If that's what a feminist looks like, then you can go ahead and count me as one too. I still think that most women who call themselves feminists have no right calling themselves that, because their beliefs and advocacy don't stop at "equal under the law"

Old 07-23-2011, 06:25 PM

19,018 posts, read 25,249,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefetio View Post
I can't speak for the other men but a little hair won't scare me.
Maybe a hippy is in your future.

Last edited by JustJulia; 07-23-2011 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: Removed reference to deleted comment

Old 07-23-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
She is a college professor and grew up rebelling against the woman being the caretaker.
If you met a woman who was in that point of her life, would you call her a bitter man hater? Would you say she's not a "real woman" for not embracing that role? Would you poke fun at her or say she just needs to get laid? That she must be a sore loser?

There's nothing wrong with men who choose not to embrace certain roles. It's just as sexist to "target" them as it is to target women who don't choose those roles.

I choose to accept certain roles in dating, but I don't think less of men who don't, or who complain about those expectations. Feminists keep talking about "respecting women's choices" well, respect men's choices too. A man who believes in splitting the check is not a loser, is not low class, is not less of a man. Or maybe I'm wrong and he is... and by extension you're friend was low class for rejecting her caretaker role.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Maybe a hippy is in your future.
oh I know it is, I've dreamed it several times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships