Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 01:01 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,685,525 times

Advertisements

As a visual aid, I have highlighted the religious and moral parts of 007.5's post, to make it easier to locate the non-religious arguments he makes:

1. The Creator mandates no sex before marriage for good reasons with you in mind.

2. When you have sex , your Soul starts to be cemented to each other . It is not just a physical act as our careless and apathetic Culture would have us believe. When the relationship ends , our Soul gets harmed .. sometimes long lasting.

3. Sex is designed to cement one another i the context of lifelong commitment and is the most intimate revealing venue two people can share. It is supposed to be in a healthy environment of total trust so the relationship can build and marriage can be further enhanced.

4. You dont have to worry about catching 1 of 33 circulating STD's now shared by over 68,000,000 adult Americans ... 2 which are fatal .

5. You dont have to worry about your Partner just using you for a copulation then moving on to the next conquest.

6. You dont have to worry about pregnancy out of wedlock.

7. If pregnancy occurs, the best environment for that child is a 2 parent Marriage as deemed by the Creator for the maximum healthiness of the child.

8 . If pregnancy occurs and an abortion is performed, there is long lasting shame and guilt especailly on behalf of the Mother ,and there is a large increase of the mother getting breast cancerin addition to depression and anxiety because she knows she authorized killing of her developing baby.

9. There is no 100% effective birth control , except for abstinence.

10. If abstinence is maintained , the Marriage Partners experience the greatest blessing on their wedding night because they can offer each other total sexual purity ... a rich gift .

11. Premarital sex puts the focus on what the other person better do for me ... which encourages self centeredness and a superficial relationship .

12. Premarital sex is encouraged by an out of control sexually deviant
Culture/Media with no responsibility to what happens to a Participant . We should avoid such apathy when it is directed specifically toward us.

13. Premartial sex is not all its cracked up to be ... it is a tradeoff of personal integrity and right living , for immediate gratification ... very often at great expense.

4. Whenever WE choose to be the standard for living instead of the all wise and powerful Creator who made us, it almost always fails because rejecting his protective moral laws results in harm to ourselves and to others.

15. Premarital sex serves to cloud many emotional issues people have so they cant be readily seen, and/or, excuses are made regarding them because the physical has taken control .

16. Premarital sex is an emotional fraud commited on the Other (who is seen only as a mere copulation) .

17. Premarital sex is seen as an entitlement , which is a distorted self absorbed view promoted by an out of control Media (for its own financial gain) .

18 . It further helps to willfully suppress ones moral conscience for the sake of temporary fulfillment.

19 . It is a slick fraud perpetrated on Oneself because it allows another person to know Us in the most intimate way which fools us into thinking there is much more to the relationship than what there really is.

20 . The resulting devastating facts of premarital sex can be seen in every society on earth which makes it universally wrong.

21. Your life is not just all about you and getting your needs met at any expense including the expense of others ; we are expected to live above reproach which greatly benefits us and the Nation we live in. A Nation where its people are narcissitic via unrestrained hedonism, will be a Nation of moral degradation ------- exactly what we see in the USA .

22. Your genitals wont fall off if they are not used till a later date and if they are used correctly, you will never be sorry.

23. Disobeying our carnal nature is a virtue and so is putting the Creator ahead of our own self centered nefarious desires (which will be rewarded in a person)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 01:18 PM

Here's some interesting facts about reproductive health in the USA. Source: American Pregnancy Association.

In the United States, 70% of women are between the ages of 15 and 44 are sexually active.
64% use a form of contraception
Using NO contraception, accounts for 47% of unplanned pregnancies
There are 15,300,000 new STD cases each year
3,000,000 teenagers acquire an STD each year
Every year in the United States 468,988 babies are born to teenage mothers

* I found it really surprising that contraception was being used in 53% of all unplanned pregnancies. Wow!

Old 08-01-2011, 09:56 AM

286 posts, read 700,510 times
Agreed. In this day and age, waiting until marriage to have sex is truly one of the dumbest things a person do. It's right up there with marrying a highschool sweetheart or getting married early. Thankfully this type of mentality is going extinct everywhere aside from maybe the bible belt.

Sexual compatibility is one of the more important things in a healthy relationship. And there is no way you accurately predict your preferences until you been with different types of partners.

Fun sex helps strengthen a relationship.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:16 PM

31,146 posts, read 22,180,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalDream View Post
Go ask all the unwed teenage mothers who don't know where the baby's daddy is. Gosh, how many of those have I met.. Isn't premarital sex a great thing? Also, I would save the raging HIV epidemic in Africa could have been reduced if people had sex within marriage. However, many others will advocate condom use. But, abstaining from premarital sex would be even more effective. Not just premarital, but extramarital, as well.
If you are surrounded by unwed teen mothers I would revisit who you hang with.

I have no friends or relatives with HIV or any other STD and everyone of them has has sex before marriage. We must be doing something right, Condoms being one of them.

And not driving a car would pevent 99% of car accidents, with the other 1% getting hit by a car while walking down the street!

Last edited by LS Jaun; 08-01-2011 at 02:44 PM..

Old 08-01-2011, 04:58 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,211,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
Here's some interesting facts about reproductive health in the USA. Source: American Pregnancy Association.

In the United States, 70% of women are between the ages of 15 and 44 are sexually active.
64% use a form of contraception
Using NO contraception, accounts for 47% of unplanned pregnancies
There are 15,300,000 new STD cases each year
3,000,000 teenagers acquire an STD each year
Every year in the United States 468,988 babies are born to teenage mothers

* I found it really surprising that contraception was being used in 53% of all unplanned pregnancies. Wow!
Just from what I have gathered from my friends - I would question the accuracy of the unplanned pregnancy and contraception statistic. The reason being is that I don't think it's necessarily possible to get an accurate statistic because a lot of people say they are using contraception - but they are using it incorrectly. One of my friends got pregnant while she was on the pill. However, it turns out that she started her pill 4 days late that month but didn't think it would be a big deal. From what I've heard from others is that they didn't think missing a few days on the pill was a big deal - but it can be. I think that things like this occur a lot and it's hard to measure the success rate of contrapectpives because of this. Also - some people lie and say they are usuing birth control when what they really mean is that they are using the pull out method or the "I don't think I'm very fertile" method. Human error and, to be honest, human lies are going to prevent knowing what the accurate statistics may be.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Just from what I have gathered from my friends - I would question the accuracy of the unplanned pregnancy and contraception statistic. The reason being is that I don't think it's necessarily possible to get an accurate statistic because a lot of people say they are using contraception - but they are using it incorrectly. One of my friends got pregnant while she was on the pill. However, it turns out that she started her pill 4 days late that month but didn't think it would be a big deal. From what I've heard from others is that they didn't think missing a few days on the pill was a big deal - but it can be. I think that things like this occur a lot and it's hard to measure the success rate of contrapectpives because of this. Also - some people lie and say they are usuing birth control when what they really mean is that they are using the pull out method or the "I don't think I'm very fertile" method. Human error and, to be honest, human lies are going to prevent knowing what the accurate statistics may be.
I agree. There's a big difference between using birth control and using it properly. My best friend is an ob-gyn in an affluent area. She tells me that about one third of the pregnancies she sees are unplanned. A lot of those couples are married or in stable, committed relationships and they just get lax about birth control.

Both of my children were the result of failed birth control. I was on the pill when I got pregnant with my first (it was during the very first month of being on the pill) (using a diaphragm as backup) and I was using an IUDwhen I became pregnant the second time (it worked fine for 5 years, then one day... uh oh!). I had a tubal ligation after my second child was born.

Last edited by boodhabunny; 08-01-2011 at 05:21 PM..

Old 08-01-2011, 08:31 PM

30,909 posts, read 37,047,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
I think that religions have made up this rule and it is completely unnatural.
I agree it is unnatural. There is a practial reason why religions made up these rules:

When people just do "what comes naturally" regarding sex they:

1. Have kids they can't support financially and emotonally. Birth control doesn't seem to have changed that equation, even though it was supposed to.

2. They get sexually transmitted diseases. Once again, condoms haven't changed that equation much, because people don't use them (even though they say they do) and because condoms have a high failure rate over long periods of time (not just one year, but think 5 or 10 years).

Bottom line: Life is nasty brutish and short if people live by their biological drives (also known as "doing what comes naturally"). You have to control your biological drives if you want a decent standard of living as defined by our consumerist standards (and most people do want that, even if they say it's not important).

Old 08-02-2011, 09:16 AM

31,146 posts, read 22,180,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I agree it is unnatural. There is a practial reason why religions made up these rules:

When people just do "what comes naturally" regarding sex they:

1. Have kids they can't support financially and emotonally. Birth control doesn't seem to have changed that equation, even though it was supposed to.

2. They get sexually transmitted diseases. Once again, condoms haven't changed that equation much, because people don't use them (even though they say they do) and because condoms have a high failure rate over long periods of time (not just one year, but think 5 or 10 years).

Bottom line: Life is nasty brutish and short if people live by their biological drives (also known as "doing what comes naturally"). You have to control your biological drives if you want a decent standard of living as defined by our consumerist standards (and most people do want that, even if they say it's not important).
Like said above, none of these things has happen to me or anyone of my close friends: No diseases, No unwanted pregnancies. If you are a responsible person any of the above happening is an anomaly.

Lucky:NO. Responisble planning:YES

Old 08-02-2011, 05:42 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,995,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Sure...if you are totally serious, why not have sex?

Casual sex bothers me because then I know that this person doesn't think it's something special to be shared by two people in love. It might as well be a handshake.
You're either getting the world's greatest handshakes, having the worst possible casual sex, or have no idea what you're talking about...

Old 08-07-2011, 04:45 PM

30,909 posts, read 37,047,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Like said above, none of these things has happen to me or anyone of my close friends: No diseases, No unwanted pregnancies. If you are a responsible person any of the above happening is an anomaly.

Lucky:NO. Responisble planning:YES
Uh-huh. None they're admitting to, anyway.

BTW, the more educated folks tend to use birth control consistently. The uneduated don't, which has contributed to a growing underclass in the U.S.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships