Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 09:44 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,378,669 times

Advertisements

Today I had re-connected with my high school history teacher. He was really one of the best teachers I have ever had and I was extremely excited to find him on FB.

We got to have a conversation about what we have been doing for the past 14 years of our lives and he told me this very interesting story. In a nutshell, he lives on the other part of the world now. Years ago, he was in a relationship with the woman that broke his heart. Due to this heartbreak, he ended up traveling the world and settling in the 3rd world country. He is very happy with the way things turned out and loves his life, however, he said that he will ALWAYS love that woman who broke his heart. He is still friends with her and he doesn't hold grudges and he said that his love for her is like landscape, will always be there. Even when he falls in love with someone else, she will have a part of his heart.

It got me thinking. I don't have that type of person from my past. All my previous relationships just weren't deep enough for me to hold that love. I have warm feelings towards most of my exs, but no everlasting love. I suppose that if my husband and I separated, I would have that love for him.

Can you relate to my history teacher? Do you have that type of person in your life that you will always continue loving even if you are not together?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 10:02 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,605,568 times
Met my wife in 1993, lived together a couple of yeears and she broke my heart end of the year 1994. We remained friends and spoke every year or so. We reconnected in 2000 and married on new years day 2001

Old 07-30-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Met my wife in 1993, lived together a couple of yeears and she broke my heart end of the year 1994. We remained friends and spoke every year or so. We reconnected in 2000 and married on new years day 2001
So I gather that all those years you were still in love with her and she was that one person who had your heart.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:06 PM

I think it's the romantic in me that finds this incredibly beautiful and yet incredibly sad. Knowing that you have that one person that you love but she or he is so far away and you know that it's not in your cards to be together. Or maybe I'm just a sap.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:07 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,990,050 times
No.

Every relationship that has ended I've completely put out of my mind and they are no longer associated with me.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
No.

Every relationship that has ended I've completely put out of my mind and they are no longer associated with me.
I'm pretty much the same way. Once it's over, it's over. I still keep in touch with those guys, but nothing is left there romantically. I guess none of them were significant enough for me to hold on to.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:19 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,990,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I'm pretty much the same way. Once it's over, it's over. I still keep in touch with those guys, but nothing is left there romantically. I guess none of them were significant enough for me to hold on to.
I don't even associate with them anymore.

I might have done it with my last relationship, but since she with held the fact that she cheated on me for one year pretty much ruined that chance for her.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:19 PM

52,214 posts, read 52,636,749 times
My high school GF, she basically broke my heart..... It took a couple yrs to get over her.

She changed me in a lot of ways.... I didn't realize it til just a few yrs ago.... This was 22 yrs ago mind you.

She caused me to hold back a little piece of myself with every subsequent woman, nothing major... just I notice it now, I didn't realize it then.

She contacted me a few months ago on FB, and you know what.... I realize that I'm 100 percent over her... which I should be.. its been 22 damn yrs....

So no... to answer your question I don't have someone that I pine for.. or someone that is the "one", I have Mrs. Chow right now.... IDK, maybe she's the "one" that I pine for.

Except, I don't want us to break up for me to find that out.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:21 PM

819 posts, read 1,129,454 times
I've only ever really been in love with one girl, and still am. She broke up with me three years ago, still haven't forgotten about her, even after going out with around 30 girls since then. When we first met, I didn't really think she was that attractive (she's certainly not ugly, but not the prettiest girl I've ever dated, either), but literally after a couple hours of talking to her I knew I was in love. I completely f'd up that relationship in all ways, did everything wrong, and regret every mistake I made at least once a week.

It would be incredibly comical if it wasn't ridiculously pathetic.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
I don't even associate with them anymore.

I might have done it with my last relationship, but since she with held the fact that she cheated on me for one year pretty much ruined that chance for her.
Yes, that type of hurt is difficult to get over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships