Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 07:59 PM

115 posts, read 355,370 times

Advertisements

Recently I took a new job, however I'm still in the suburbs due to the job also being in the 'burbs. Now, I didn't have much of a life at my last job, so I'm looking to change things around this time.

I'm really starting with nothing here, no family, no friends, etc. It gets very lonely being by yourself all the time in your mid-20s.

I want to go out to meet people, get involved with stuff but don't know where to start, resources to utilize, etc. I also feel ashamed about having to do everything all by myself, like I feel that I give off the loner vibe when I attend events all by myself, but I know if I don't do it, nothing will change.

I'm not a bar/club scene guy, besides not having anyone to go with either. I was hoping to get involved in certain volunteer opportunities that attract a younger crowd or maybe even enroll in school again for the expressed purpose of meeting girls -- as I already have a degree, but that's a costly way of going about things for sure. I was hoping for more free activities to meet people in their 20s.

I work with all older people and am envious of people who have friends their own age. I have an anti-social office job which these kinds of jobs are already becoming the bane of my existence but I should stick it out for at least a year.

Any advice?

The more specific the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 02:20 PM

819 posts, read 1,130,131 times
My advice: post about it on the Internet.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:25 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth to valid View Post
Recently I took a new job, however I'm still in the suburbs due to the job also being in the 'burbs. Now, I didn't have much of a life at my last job, so I'm looking to change things around this time.

I'm really starting with nothing here, no family, no friends, etc. It gets very lonely being by yourself all the time in your mid-20s.

I want to go out to meet people, get involved with stuff but don't know where to start, resources to utilize, etc. I also feel ashamed about having to do everything all by myself, like I feel that I give off the loner vibe when I attend events all by myself, but I know if I don't do it, nothing will change.

I'm not a bar/club scene guy, besides not having anyone to go with either. I was hoping to get involved in certain volunteer opportunities that attract a younger crowd or maybe even enroll in school again for the expressed purpose of meeting girls -- as I already have a degree, but that's a costly way of going about things for sure. I was hoping for more free activities to meet people in their 20s.

I work with all older people and am envious of people who have friends their own age. I have an anti-social office job which these kinds of jobs are already becoming the bane of my existence but I should stick it out for at least a year.

Any advice?

The more specific the better.
i've been in your shoes, in a strange city, new job, didn't know anybody for miles around. i became kind of desperate for people to socialize with, so i got into the habit of starting conversations with strangers everywhere i went. I managed to make some friends at work, and at the bars.

one unexpected thing that helped me was craigslist. I actually made a lot of friends in the process of looking for roomates.

It doesn't take too long, and you start to meet people who are in your shoes too, who really just want a friend to hang out with. The group grows by one, and then another, and then another, until you have basically built your own little clique. When you're in a tough spot like that, the first few are the hardest and the most important.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:32 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,475,163 times
Find a dance class to take. There are usually more women - even if some are older, they may become friends and have younger friends you'll get to meet. Also try yoga classes and zumba classes. And meetup.com can be a way to meet people with similar interests. Volunteering could be good too, but I can't speak to whether there will be young women participating.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:21 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,306,124 times
Where do you live? Around here, fall baseball is just starting up. Go to your nearest park, see if there are any ways you could volunteer.
Try the City Recreation Department, see what's available. People in their mid 20s to 30s have their kids playing sports. They always need
help. We are like little communities. You will make aqaintences fast.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:39 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,775,936 times
Meetup clubs, you can research your local area on the net. The gym, great way to meet new people, lots of young folks there.

There are so many clubs in my area that I cannot mention them all, bicycle, kayak, fishing, deep sea diving, boating, roller blading, paintball, arobics, cooking, wine, beer on and on it goes.

It is out there, you just need to do a little investigating.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:43 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,698,306 times
It is pretty tough to start out in a new place. I would suggest:

-meetup.com
-gym/fitness centers
-church (fellowships, small group, volunteering)
-volunteering in general
-taking a class

I would also ask your friends/family if they know anyone in your area. It's worth a shot Best of luck!

Old 08-19-2011, 03:48 PM

116 posts, read 153,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth to valid View Post
Let me share a great, specific solution I've recently hit on - Meetup.com. I've known about this site for years, but never seemed to have much luck finding local groups when I searched on keywords related to my interests (e.g., books, movies, etc.). Then I tried just blanking out the keyword search box and searching for ALL groups in my area. Voila, numerous social groups in my vicinity popped right up. I joined one group specifically geared to singles over 40, two other singles' groups, plus a game players group that's not specifically for singles.

Try it - go to meetup.com, only enter your zip code or town and state, and then just see what comes up. You're sure to find some singles' groups (possibly some specifically for people in your age range) and other groups for people who share your interests. And don't worry about going alone, because especially if you're joining a singles' group, many people in the group attend events and meetings by themselves. It's no secret that they're single, after all. You'll know you're in good company, with people who share your interests and situation.

Good luck, and here's hoping you'll soon be able to look at this clean slate you've been handed as a great opportunity and adventure!

Old 08-19-2011, 04:37 PM

2,068 posts, read 4,338,653 times
Sounds like a job for alcohol.
Now I wouldn't normally advocate this but.. in rare instances alcohol can get you over that social hurdle.

Bar, alcohol and smile. Please don't get drunk.
I told someone else this on this forum but here it goes again: go to a restaurant after work and yes get a drink and be receptive.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:40 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,583,621 times
Personally, I think two adjustments are needed here. The first is to simply get out there and meet people. Yes, everyone is a little afraid of that. You aren't unique. Your situation is not the least bit out of the ordinary. You just need to do it. So, pick three new activities TODAY and get started. Pick one place you can volunteer for (call your local homeless shelter, animal shelter, habitat for humanity, whatever) and ask when they need people. Commit yourself to doing it for at least 3 months. Don't just be the guy who goes once, doesn't see a pretty girl, then takes off. Stick it out. Then pick two social activities you could enjoy. Dance lessons, which someone else suggested, are a great idea. Or take a language class, or join a team sport, or a community choir or something. Pick two activities and join. Stick in them for at least 3 months. Again, don't just be the guy who drops things if he doesn't find instant success.

The second adjustment I think you need is one of attitude and outlook. There's a lot of "woe is me, I'm a victim" coming out in the undercurrent of your post, and that is going to be a huge turn-off to anyone you meet, particularly since there's really nothing about your story that suggests you actually are a victim. You have a comfortable office job in the suburbs. Yeah, that's the sort of thing people covet. You HAVE a job, despite the economy. It's in a safe part of town. You're not having to pour concrete outside in the blazing sun. You're not a sewer-diver. Be thankful, not a whiner. That's probably not helping the "loner vibe" you claim is turning people off. It's like the poor little rich boy complaining his Porsche is broken and he's being forced to take the luxury Volvo for a week. Yeah, real pity case.

The sooner you start thinking of your situation as one to be grateful for, the sooner your positive outlook will attract positive people into your life. Continue thinking of yourself as the victim and girls will avoid you like the plague. No one wants to be around someone who's negative, who brings them down.

Last edited by h886; 08-20-2011 at 06:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships