Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 08:48 AM

31,068 posts, read 22,086,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
On one hand mixed nationalities CAN feasibly cause problems... IF the nationality issue is especially important to one or both of the parties, in which case it's far, far less about "nationality" and a LOT more about inflexibility.
I see it as being a big issue when people immigrate here from 3rd world countries and have an expectation that they and their children will some how maintain archaic tribal customs from their home country that run counter to our laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 09:33 PM

438 posts, read 947,143 times
Just like any relationship, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

By best friend married a Korean guy and they experienced serious issues due to cultural differences, eventually divorcing. They couldn't agree on anything, disagreed about each partner's responsibilities (she was supposed to quit work and stay home), had communication barriers...they even argued about what to eat (he wouldn't eat her cooking b/c it wasn't Korean). It was neverending disagreement. But they should have sorted that out before getting hitched.

I'm American and my husband is from Mexico, but we have never had any issues pertaining to that (except that immigration paperwork sucks). But I guess it helps that we're both bilingual, both our families live nearby and are very supportive, and we are pretty openminded about other cultures.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:20 PM

84 posts, read 153,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I see it as being a big issue when people immigrate here from 3rd world countries and have an expectation that they and their children will some how maintain archaic tribal customs from their home country that run counter to our laws.
Funny, because right below your comment is a comment where one of the spouses has come from Mexico, a supposedly third world country as you claimed in your ignorant post. I wonder how it worked out for the other poster then, since it shouldn't work according to your definition.

Also, what are some of those archaic tribal customs? Care to elabore?

Old 11-08-2011, 01:31 AM

956 posts, read 1,767,675 times
I think he means honour killings, forced marriages, etc. They do happen, you know. Or expecting your wife to just shut her mouth and open her legs because that's what his Neanderthal family/culture demands.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:39 AM

84 posts, read 153,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudra View Post
I think he means honour killings, forced marriages, etc. They do happen, you know. Or expecting your wife to just shut her mouth and open her legs because that's what his Neanderthal family/culture demands.
We have the law of the land that prosecutes such people, I hardly find them happening here in the USA for the most part except of course in exceptional cases.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:12 PM

31,068 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudra View Post
There are many examples of people immigrating here and violate are laws and expect us to give into theyre traditions even if they are illegal.

Did I say Mexico? I think not. I'm not sure why people junp on here and procede to call someones post ignorant and procede to post something ignorant

Old 11-08-2011, 05:44 PM

541 posts, read 941,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastelito de limon View Post

By best friend married a Korean guy and they experienced serious issues due to cultural differences, eventually divorcing. They couldn't agree on anything, disagreed about each partner's responsibilities (she was supposed to quit work and stay home), had communication barriers...they even argued about what to eat (he wouldn't eat her cooking b/c it wasn't Korean). It was neverending disagreement. But they should have sorted that out before getting hitched.

I'm American and my husband is from Mexico, but we have never had any issues pertaining to that (except that immigration paperwork sucks). But I guess it helps that we're both bilingual, both our families live nearby and are very supportive, and we are pretty openminded about other cultures.
Crazy!! what stupid things [people fight about. Seriously? food. She should have told him to make his own ****ing food. I am Korean too and I hear that **** all the time. Did your friend and her korean husband work it out.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:49 PM

541 posts, read 941,367 times
I understand why some people would stick to their own races and marry. It makes sense but still sucks. I have grown up with a diverse racial background. I actually prefer dating outside my race than my own race. Yes I am Korean but I was born in the us. But I dated a asian guy who eventually got married to another asian girl. I was actually crushed when I heard he got married.

Parents are the reasons why some couples break up. Especially if you are Asian dating outside his or her race.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:12 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastelito de limon View Post

Did they date a week and never talk? How do you end up married and find out one partner will only eat one type of food, or that they expected you to quit working.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:16 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyg999 View Post
Funny, because right below your comment is a comment where one of the spouses has come from Mexico, a supposedly third world country as you claimed in your ignorant post. I wonder how it worked out for the other poster then, since it shouldn't work according to your definition.

Also, what are some of those archaic tribal customs? Care to elabore?

I live in a state mostly of minorities, a good deal from third world countries. And it can be quite trying at times, because a lot of them don't want to integrate.

15 people to a house, huge parties, drinking on the sidewalk in front of neighbors houses, yard's that look like dump sites, spitting in public.

One night one of those lovely homes had a party-goer wander down by my house. Stupid A peed on my SOs tire at the top of my driveway. He was quite surprised when he discovered my SO in the vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships