Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2011, 09:38 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,858,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
The diatribe as you put it was important for context.
Typical. 200 years ago, women had it bad (I can hardly disagree) so it's all the fault of men today! (Dysfunctional logic alert! - something missing here)

The fact is, when the modern women's movement started in the 60s, many men did their best to meet with their demands. Somehow such men ended up being treated like s__t while women now went for the jerks instead. Is it any wonder that young men see this example and say, "Why should I try?"

Old 08-30-2011, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by WhyShouldIWorry
Looking at this realistically, it's marriage that causes a high suicide rate in divorced men!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
They commit suicide because they are depressed.
And they are depressed because they got screwed in marriage and the subsequent divorce. Living in your car and being harassed by maintenance support can do that to a guy!

Old 08-30-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I tend to think marriage is an effect as well as a cause. People who get married & stay married tend to be socially/emotionally smarter than people who don't marry and/or divorce.
Nonsense! Men who don't get married (but want to) find it is because they cannot find a woman who would make this decision a reasonable prospect. In our society, men have the burden of finding a woman and women have the prerogative of turning them down.

10% of men have an easy time with this - lots of selection and few or no rejections. 20% have a more balanced experience but can eventually find someone reasonable. The rest must look and look, face a lot of rejection and in the end, have few real reasons to get married.

This has almost nothing to do with being socially and emotionally smarter - whatever that means. It has everything to do with whether a man is someone women crave, one they will settle for or one they really don't want to meet. Generally, women can segregate such men from across the room. They will usually avoid even speaking to the majority of men who fit into this latter category and can get quite nasty if they persist.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:55 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,516,854 times
No one talks about falling in love.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:10 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,788,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
For the last generation, a large number of young married's did so with the socially endorsed notion: "If it doesn't work out (AKA: make me happy), we can always get divorced." Thus, there has been a lack of real lifetime commitment to marriage ... as evidenced by obscene divorce rates. And almost anyone with eyes in their head can see that there are far fewer successful divorces, than successful marriages.

The statistics of the article only report on what is happening, not why --- which leads the reader to develop their own annecdotal conclusions.

It may be wishful thinking, but, I am hoping that the reason marriages are down (if the statistics are actually accurate) ... is that people today are taking a more serious, committed approach to marriage.
..... Unfortunately, with the increasingly liberal mindset of our society, they may simply be concluding "who needs marriage ... we can have all the benefits without it." (For example, in a major segment of our society, the illigitimate birth rate is at an astonishing 70%).
How ridiculous! Blame the liberals why white women are less willing to be killed by their white intimate partner as tradition dictates? Nuts to that. I guess it's not real enough for you until it's your own daughter in the morgue. Measuring Intimate Partner (Domestic) Violence | National Institute of Justice

Marriage is only being postponed by younger generation. They'd rather not go through the Liz 7 divorces. Good for them trying to be conscientious and restoring some reverence back to the institution. As for what's happening culturally in the south--- I don't care for how many MARRIED men thinking they're all that and a bag of chips with $5 in their pocket have hit on me just passing through on business trips. If they were taking their marriages seriously, there wouldn't be the embarrassing divorce rate y'all compulsively blame on the boogeyman liberal.

70% illegitimate birth rate is 70% who said yes to life no matter his lack of competence/ commitment. What are you complaining about again? 70% of the sperm donors are dogs who couldn't care a whit about fatherhood? Now THAT'S something to complain about. Enough with this ne'er-do-well peter pan BS. Grow up!

Old 08-31-2011, 12:20 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,825,562 times
The Government can provide better for a family than many men can, especially in this economy. Big Gov has basically replaced the father figure.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:24 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,650,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
The Government can provide better for a family than many men can, especially in this economy. Big Gov has basically replaced the father figure.
Oh really? How exactly do they do that with this $14 trillion debt? Hmm?

Old 08-31-2011, 12:52 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,195,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Marriage hits an all-time low in the United States | WHAS11.com Louisville

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Singles, take note: With marriages at an all-time low, states in the South and West rank among the highest for couples hearing wedding bells. But many of these states also have higher rates of divorce.

Thoughts?
Some sliced off information being presented here. They are grouping areas and states. You forgot to add the opposite information in this article. "North Dakota has the highest marriage rate and lowest divorce rate.' Now the question is completely different.

One element missing from the article and in this thread are statistics on how many divorced people remarried before and don't now. It already speaks to several positive things such as teen marriages dropping.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:57 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,195,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Typical. 200 years ago, women had it bad (I can hardly disagree) so it's all the fault of men today! (Dysfunctional logic alert! - something missing here)

The fact is, when the modern women's movement started in the 60s, many men did their best to meet with their demands. Somehow such men ended up being treated like s__t while women now went for the jerks instead. Is it any wonder that young men see this example and say, "Why should I try?"
Somehow you managed to overlook my post on the matter. Men bent over backwards? Women are still discriminated against being hired by a man with the same qualifications and are still being paid less than men for the same job. Like I posted, the backbone of feminism was equal pay for equal work.

//www.city-data.com/forum/20636890-post217.html

Last edited by Thursday007; 08-31-2011 at 01:21 AM..

Old 08-31-2011, 01:02 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,788,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Nonsense! Men who don't get married (but want to) find it is because they cannot find a woman who would make this decision a reasonable prospect. In our society, men have the burden of finding a woman and women have the prerogative of turning them down.

10% of men have an easy time with this - lots of selection and few or no rejections. 20% have a more balanced experience but can eventually find someone reasonable. The rest must look and look, face a lot of rejection and in the end, have few real reasons to get married.

This has almost nothing to do with being socially and emotionally smarter - whatever that means. It has everything to do with whether a man is someone women crave, one they will settle for or one they really don't want to meet. Generally, women can segregate such men from across the room. They will usually avoid even speaking to the majority of men who fit into this latter category and can get quite nasty if they persist.
I'm not going to read through this whole thread but I'm going to throw this at you. Open up the singles pages in your town USA and read men seeking women column. They all want the same superficial things. A blind supermodel independently wealthy. Apply what they think they want with the deeper qualities of the best wife and mother you ever knew. Bear any resemblance whatsoever to what these men think they want? If you're honest, you'll be willing to acknowledge just how much barking up the wrong tree is going on out there. Now read the women's side of the column. Is she aiming for deeper qualities that both ought to be aiming for in the first place? Comparatively speaking, is her side of the column resembling the qualities of a good husband and father relative to what her male counterpart is seeking?

The burden falls on a man why? It's got to be his idea or he won't follow through. In my experience it's a self imposed handicap. Men of character who are serious about marriage usually don't have many problems unless they're stuck on ill conceived/ immature expectations. Certainly men who've been married 30yrs or better could laugh hard at that statement but they'd do better writing a book of marital advice. I think it's time for America to have a male Dear Abby column because I don't see it getting very much air play. Men are often too prideful to talk openly about relationships & dislike feeling emotionally vulnerable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships