Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 02:21 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times

Advertisements

Shackin' up is the best way to go! As long as the relationship works it's good, when not both can split. To hell with all prude morals!

Old 08-25-2011, 02:23 PM

550 posts, read 604,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Actually, I was reading something in the newspaper recently that said that men *need* marriage, to live a happier and healthier life. The article associated unmarried or never-married men as having much less quality of life, worse mortality rates, and significantly more mental and emotional health issues, among other things, if I am recalling correctly...
I never said a man should live his life alone. And I'm not against marriage. But seriously, the average American male isn't constantly bombarded with people telling him to get married. Marriage in American culture is a joke. If I marry, I want to feel like I'm dating her for the rest of our lives. If I don't get that feeling, then what's the point?!?!?! There's no fun in feeling like I'm married to my mother.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:23 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I think Men are starting to realize that marriage only benefits women, especially when its time to get a divorce.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
I was thinking something like this but I didn't wanna get flamed. However, if you think about it, divorce can also benefit a man so he gets his freedom back (unless of course he has kids then it'll make it harder for him to date and he has to fork over child support).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
About time. Marriage is nothing but a losing proposition for men.

Words of wisdom from young people that have never been married much less divorced.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:26 PM

550 posts, read 604,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Shackin' up is the best way to go! As long as the relationship works it's good, when not both can split. To hell with all prude morals!
Amen!!!

Old 08-25-2011, 02:28 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:
Actually, I was reading something in the newspaper recently that said that men *need* marriage, to live a happier and healthier life. The article associated unmarried or never-married men as having much less quality of life, worse mortality rates, and significantly more mental and emotional health issues, among other things, if I am recalling correctly...
I might understand that somewhat, but with the advent of "bromance" and the societal acceptance of sexual promiscuity, I just don't see it anymore. I'm not sure there's anything that could make me happier than hanging out with my boys, having freedom and getting some tail on the weekends.

Oh I do know, having children. So I'm probably going to end up getting married.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:31 PM

77 posts, read 151,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Words of wisdom from young people that have never been married much less divorced.
Hey, how about we apply your logic to other situations and see how that pans out? You were saying that if they didn't experience marriage/divorce, they don't have the right to comment on it. Well, I say bull****. I don't need to personally experience illness to understand that it hurts. I don't need to experience any number of things, to know that I don't want them. I don't need to learn from my own mistakes when there are plenty of others that made the same mistake and suffered for it. I'd rather learn from these people instead.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:47 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,697,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sKid View Post
Feminism shattered it all.....
Yes, women gaining equal rights shattered the fun of marriage for men.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:15 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Yes, you recall correctly. Even with the prevalence of divorce in our society married men still report higher levels of health, wealth, and emotional stability. Fewer are marrying, which may be due to feminism in part, and that's ok.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:30 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,148,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Face it, unless you want children marriage is not all its cracked up to be.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:37 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,148,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
LOL you guys are WRONG. *whips out Zena Warrior Princess shield and sword*

As a person going through a divorce, marriage property distribution generally only benefits the partner who has the fewest assets. I guess typically this is the woman, but it can easily be the man. I know a woman who had to pay her POS ex child support and alimony, and my "better half" LOL is currently attempting to abscond with my hard-earned stuff.

Studies (if they are to be believed) have shown that men are HAPPIER during marriage...and in my personal experience my husband benefited much more than I did financially, and emotionally from our marriage. Contrary to what I was led to believe by movies and romance novels, women end up taking care of the man and not the other way around...

*Sheathes sword*

So there.

The overwhelming majority of the time its the women who gets the house, the kids, half the money, alimony, child support. The man gets to move back in with his parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships