Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 05:01 PM

973 posts, read 1,705,342 times

Advertisements

It is not zero; it can work if the two parties are willing to make it work AND one of them can move at some point in time like you had said. IT takes special people and a special love and money for it to work, but it does happen. I know of more than two couples who this happened to, and two of those were international meetings that ended up in marriages. The net has made the world smaller, and people are finding TRUE love in all kinds of places.

And as a side note, one thing that I have noticed on this forum is that a lot of people who respond in this section are negative in their responses...and almost bitter. And due to that, I am sure not too many people will say this is "doable", but I do see it happening if the couple does have a plan and does have some money. BUT with that said, with today's economy, it would harder than when all the ones I know about happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 05:30 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,743,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanwoman54 View Post
It is not zero; it can work if the two parties are willing to make it work AND one of them can move at some point in time like you had said. IT takes special people and a special love and money for it to work, but it does happen. I know of more than two couples who this happened to, and two of those were international meetings that ended up in marriages. The net has made the world smaller, and people are finding TRUE love in all kinds of places.

And as a side note, one thing that I have noticed on this forum is that a lot of people who respond in this section are negative in their responses...and almost bitter. And due to that, I am sure not too many people will say this is "doable", but I do see it happening if the couple does have a plan and does have some money. BUT with that said, with today's economy, it would harder than when all the ones I know about happened.

I think the bitter part comes to play because of the extra challenges show what one person will do and the other won't. If you lived 10 mins away, it's easy for both to visit the other. But when it comes to long distance, you're probably going to see that one will make noticeably more effort than the other. One is spending more on travel than the other. One stays home to make a call, but the other goes out. One will move away from friends and family and the other won't. If you were in the same town, none of that would be an issue.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:01 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,827,742 times
The think to keep in mind isn't that some LDRs work out, but rather how many.
There have been a few posters here that have really nice stories about how it worked out for them, but what you have to do is consider how rare this is.

From my experience, first and second hand, it's very rare.

The problem is that to build a relationship that is deep enough for marriage requires a massive amount of communication. You have to get to know each other in so many different ways. And you just can't do that when all you have is 2 hours on the phone, 4-5 days a week. The phone is great for making dates, telling jokes, etc, but you must spend face time with someone to really get to know them. Otherwise, you might as well just pull out the Russian Mail Order bride and pick one at random and hope it works out.

A part of the problem is that when you have less than full communication, like texting and emails and short phone calls, you don't get the full picture. But it's human nature to fill in the blanks. And that human nature tends to fill them in with what YOU want, not what they are. This is why so many LDRs I've seen have exploded. There were substantial mis-communications buried and never resolved until too late.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:19 PM

483 posts, read 1,559,707 times
If your goal is to sleep with many women and date many at the same time with little chance of getting caught, then LDR's have a high success of working out.

If you plan to get married, then no, they won't work

Old 08-29-2011, 10:59 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,761,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I met my husband online, I was living in Australia and he was living in the US. He moved to Australia to be with me then I moved to the US with him. Almost 7 years later we're still happy together. It certainly wasn't an easy path though. Moving countries is expensive and time consuming. We did it for love though.
How beautiful; that's awesome and amazing to hear Djuna, thx for sharing!! And I truly hope that you guys many, many more, happy and joyful years together

Old 08-29-2011, 11:09 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,761,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I've know of only 2 long distance relationships where they met online that lasted. Both were willing and able to relocate and both were looking for marriage in the not to distant future. Both had one party move withing a few months of meeting and both got married.

But I'm thinking this is very rare. It's just 2 couples out of many many more couples who met locally.

As for me I wouldn't even entertain the idea. I wouldn't message someone from more than an hour away and especially not a plane ride away. I don't see the point to start an uphill battle, when there are so many choices locally. What do you think?
Except if you happen to live in D.C., where the the abundance of single and available quality love matches is abysmal and totally sux

Give me an LDR with a nice out-of-state gal any day, over the likes of the local opposite gender selection! Seriously, the prospects of actually finding a good relationship match here if as a guy you're not already independently wealthy and pulling at least $150k a year, are a 9-10 in looks, or have "family money", drive a BMW or better, and own a luxury house on top of that, are completely down the tubes

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 08-29-2011 at 11:14 PM.. Reason: Adds

Old 08-30-2011, 12:16 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Except if you happen to live in D.C., where the the abundance of single and available quality love matches is abysmal and totally sux

Give me an LDR with a nice out-of-state gal any day, over the likes of the local opposite gender selection! Seriously, the prospects of actually finding a good relationship match here if as a guy you're not already independently wealthy and pulling at least $150k a year, are a 9-10 in looks, or have "family money", drive a BMW or better, and own a luxury house on top of that, are completely down the tubes
I know DC is a little different as far as demographics go, but I can't imagine there aren't any naive and poor 18-year-olds in the whole surrounding area!

Old 08-30-2011, 01:06 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I met my husband online, I was living in Australia and he was living in the US. He moved to Australia to be with me then I moved to the US with him. Almost 7 years later we're still happy together. It certainly wasn't an easy path though. Moving countries is expensive and time consuming. We did it for love though.
This is pretty extreme WoW

Old 08-30-2011, 01:10 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
This is pretty extreme WoW
We're both pretty wild and crazy at heart

Old 08-30-2011, 01:18 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I've know of only 2 long distance relationships where they met online that lasted. Both were willing and able to relocate and both were looking for marriage in the not to distant future. Both had one party move withing a few months of meeting and both got married.

But I'm thinking this is very rare. It's just 2 couples out of many many more couples who met locally.

As for me I wouldn't even entertain the idea. I wouldn't message someone from more than an hour away and especially not a plane ride away. I don't see the point to start an uphill battle, when there are so many choices locally. What do you think?

You are right if there are many choices locally for you. For some people, it's hard to find a good match locally. They don't have a choice.

I think relationships online should work just like the ones where you meet in a bar. Internet is just an extra way of meeting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships