Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 11:05 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,029,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertPox View Post
Or the 3rd option; you don't know how to read.

I said "by and large" 19-year-olds are this way, and having rules with regard to ages is dumb.

Also, I edited my post to depart upward to 22-year-olds possibly being engaging and smart.
At least I know the difference between a semicolon and a colon, and how to use them properly.

Also, nice job editing your post after I pointed out how ridiculous and contradictory it was in its original form.

As to whether or not my "rules" (which, by the way, I clearly indicated in my post that I am flexible with them based on maturity -- maybe YOU should check YOUR reading skills) are "dumb," have you ever heard the expression, "To each his own"? I'm doing just fine when it comes to the females, so obviously my so-called "rules" are working for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 11:33 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,192,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchofgold View Post
I'm turning 19 and the guy I like is 28. I have no idea if he likes me but since he's 28 I don't know if I should even waste my time. One of my best friends is 33 and I've always gotten along with the "older" crowd. I guess you could say I'm mature for my age. I'm just asking seeing as it's a 10 year age difference and some of my friends who are my age say it's a bad idea to begin with. Which I'm not sure I understand. My way of thinking is who cares about age if you are attracted to them as a whole why does it matter... I mean if he were 35 that'd be a different story since my brothers are 35 other than that I have no issue. So, if you are a guy 28 or around that age what is your view on this? Also I'm a virgin which people say apparently change things?
It's ok, I was 16 and my first date was with a guy 26 (step mom fixed us up). But, we had sex every day for a year...I was curious. I had no emotional attachment to him and after I dumped him, he went crying to step mom that he wanted to marry me. I was probably a bit more mature than he was. Yes, all my friends and co-workers were mid 30s and forties.

There is no textbook "way" to be/act. We are all unique so listen to your gut

Old 09-15-2011, 12:00 PM

26 posts, read 41,206 times
I've been out of my house since I was 16 I was a live-in nanny for a year watching 18 month old twin boys , an 11 year old and believe it or not a 17 year old. I'm a live-in housekeeper now and have 3 jobs I've gone to school for 2 quarters and dropped out as it was to expensive. To all of you, great answers. I think I'll try for it. He's probably at the maturity of a 24-25 year old and seeing as most people I've met think that I'm in the age range of 23-26 I doubt there'd be any problem. For those of you who wouldn't give a chance at someone younger than the age you want, that's a little ridiculous. And as for my virginity, I'm not looking to loose it to some random guy I have the slightest bit of attraction to, if I wanted to do that believe me I could have done that a long time ago. What I'm looking for is a consistent/committed relationship. Whether or not I have sex with him is my choice and on my own time (though he'd be a great candidate ;P

Old 09-15-2011, 12:04 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
He probably won't be interested in you but there is no harm in letting him know you like him.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:18 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times
I have my doubts about a person (man or woman) who is pushing 30 and dating a teenager, regardless of how mature for his or her age the teenager is. However, I'll admit that as the years pass and both people mature, age difference has little meaning.

OP, you seem to have a good head on your shoulders. Just tread carefully. I wish you luck with your decision.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:56 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,761,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchofgold View Post
I'm turning 19 and the guy I like is 28. I have no idea if he likes me but since he's 28 I don't know if I should even waste my time. One of my best friends is 33 and I've always gotten along with the "older" crowd. I guess you could say I'm mature for my age. I'm just asking seeing as it's a 10 year age difference and some of my friends who are my age say it's a bad idea to begin with. Which I'm not sure I understand. My way of thinking is who cares about age if you are attracted to them as a whole why does it matter... I mean if he were 35 that'd be a different story since my brothers are 35 other than that I have no issue. So, if you are a guy 28 or around that age what is your view on this? Also I'm a virgin which people say apparently change things?
If you like him, I say go for it! If he genuinely cares about you and you also about him, then it can certainly come to no wrong

As for the concern cited by other posters about him only potentially being interested for physical intimacy reasons...I wouldn't worry about that at all; just b/c he's a little older than you definitely doesn't mean it's all about s*x, or that he's incapable of truly loving and caring about you.

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 09-15-2011 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: Corrected typo

Old 09-15-2011, 01:05 PM

376 posts, read 665,541 times
go for it even though, more than likely, it's not going to work out. you're too young for him and he's too old for you.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:05 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,431,077 times
Well he's 28, not 58...so it's probably not that big of a deal. Give it a try, it might work out. Neither one is underage.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:14 PM

538 posts, read 1,522,022 times
Depends on where each of you is in life. I was 25 and had a date with a 22 year old and I felt like I was on a date with a little girl. I couldn't wait for it to end. Three years difference in age, but a generation in terms of where we were (I had two careers and owned a home; she was in college and moved out for the first time, for example).

But I do wonder, though, why a 28 year old would be in a place in life where they would be compatible with a 19 year old, but that's just me, I guess...

Old 09-15-2011, 01:16 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,877,229 times
I believe you both will be fine... I have a 26 year old that still acts like an 18 year old so it does matter with maturity level and if you feel comfortable with him and like to spend time with him.. I say don't let others make your decission... just do it.. good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships