Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 07:12 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by penner View Post
If you and your significant other aren't physically with each other (e.g. you're both at work, one person is traveling, etc.), approximately how often do you communicate with each other during the day? Via email/text/phone...
Well, several times a day in one way or another. But there are really two levels of communication.

1. The day to day business of running a family with three kids. This requires split-second, clockwork precision on the same level as British commandos raiding U-boat pens. So we are continually sending e-mails back and forth with calendar items, adjusting schedules ("I have a meeting that will run late, can you take our son to soccer practice"), and generally keeping everything rolling.

2. The Me & Her communication. We talk about once a day like this. As in, "How's your day going?" Nothing big. I just like talking to her and she likes talking to me. And we try to have lunch once a week. Our rule during lunch is that we can't talk about work or kids. It's a good one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 07:17 AM

8,957 posts, read 20,385,036 times
25 yrs of marriage and SEPARATE interests......hummmmmm
Just curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
We've been together over 25 years and have separate interests but we talk each morning and evening unless he's out of cell range, and usually at least twice during the day just to "check in." Some conversations are more lengthy than others, but we care about each other and keep in touch.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:21 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,062,846 times
Every morning we talk over coffee for about 15 minutes before starting our day.

Every evening we talk about our day for as long as it takes.

We also touch base several times during the day, when possible.

It also helps to place a little love note in my wifes lunch bag every now and then when I know that she is stressed.

Without communication, you have no relationship.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:22 AM

Sure can tell the cell phone communication difference between the "older folks" and the "young folks"! One talks on the cell while the other does the texting and e-mailing. Wife and I are definitely in the "older folks" category, at which in our early 60's we would be!

Old 09-21-2011, 07:25 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times
One other thing. Every night, no matter what, we clear the kids from the room, flip off the television, and share our days. If one of us works late, the other typically stays up until the spouse gets home. I'm amazed how few couples do this.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:25 AM

Thanks for reminding me! It's been awhile since I've done that. Another great communication technic is having flowers delivered to wife's work. Sure can make the other ladies jealous and wonder "why don't that happen to me?".

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Every morning we talk over coffee for about 15 minutes before starting our day.

Every evening we talk about our day for as long as it takes.

We also touch base several times during the day, when possible.

It also helps to place a little love note in my wifes lunch bag every now and then when I know that she is stressed.
Without communication, you have no relationship.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:42 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,476,314 times
If we're both in town, then we communicate as needed when at work. Normally we talk and catch up in the morning before work and the evening after work. If one of us is traveling (which isn't often except this year for some reason), then daily when possible, but it can be two or three days in some cases. The longest gap has been about a week, when only email was possible, and even that was limited. It's not often that we're apart except for work, so we usually have lots of time together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships