Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 06:22 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,815,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
Wait a minute Sketchers is a good shoe? They certainly have you fooled.
Yes it is. That's my favorite sneakers brand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 06:29 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,813,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
I thought it was her friend and some of his co-workers, anyway I think it was directed to at least her friend. The eggs and sausage comment is in no way rude, just makes her look like a food snob. Nothing wrong with being a food snob.
No, but I find myself terribly annoyed when I'm eating with a group and one person goes on and on about what they won't eat and like they're proud of that or something. What's funny is that it's usually healthy food that they won't eat. They'll brag on and on about how no speck of green has passed their lips since mom last made them eat spinach--which disproves the bad parenting theory, lol.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:55 PM

1,754 posts, read 2,470,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower_lol View Post
Yes it is. That's my favorite sneakers brand.
You are goofy.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:04 AM

10,215 posts, read 17,898,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
English isn't the OPs first language either.....Oh.. there I go giving her the benefit of the doubt again.
That could be part of it too but she does seem to have a good grasp of the language.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:47 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
That could be part of it too but she does seem to have a good grasp of the language.
I once had to reread one of my posts and saw certain mistakes. Lets just say that poster was direct calling my vocabulary abysmal. Then again I was writing fast without thinking.

An example of my mistake long ago:

I did graduated from high school. INCORRECT
The correct version is: I graduated from high school.

As of now I'm still living in Peru, my home country.

I have a feeling if a professional writer was reading my current posts, he/she will still caught an error. There is no way you can compete with a real master at grammar and contexts used in a paragraph. I've heard certain native English speakers were also caught making mistakes so I'm left wondering what does it really takes to be professional at it (master level with absolutely no errors in writing).

Last edited by Sunflower_lol; 10-08-2011 at 06:58 AM..

Old 10-08-2011, 08:19 AM

10,215 posts, read 17,898,044 times
Quote:
I once had to reread one of my posts and saw certain mistakes. Lets just say that poster was direct calling my vocabulary abysmal. Then again I was writing fast without thinking.

The first one is not necessarily incorrect, it would depend on the context.

Quote:
Then language probably isn't the problem, it's just a lack of tact.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:35 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
Quote:

I have a feeling if a professional writer was reading my current posts, he/she will still caught an error. There is no way you can compete with a real master at grammar and contexts used in a paragraph. I've heard certain native English speakers were also caught making mistakes so I'm left wondering what does it really takes to be professional at it (master level with absolutely no errors in writing).
(he/she will still catch an error.) : )

Self-editing. That's all it takes. But, your written English is much better than a lot of people on these forums whose first language is English, so don't worry about it.

Expecting everyone to write or type perfectly on Internet message boards is unrealistic. Oh, sometimes I grit my teeth over all the people who seem to have been out sick on the same day in third grade when the differences between advice/advise or lose/loose were taught and who toss apostrophes into plurals, but I just go to the Writing forum and post about it on the thread we have going for such situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships