Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 12:58 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,792,339 times

Advertisements

Someone told me that the average man goes on 50 first or second dates before he finds a permanent relationship which lasts and average length of under a year and that the average date costs about $50 or so (lunch and a drink for two).

$50x 50 = $2,500 every year

why do I think the average guy is definitely not spending $200/month on dating? Or is he? Is there any truth to this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 01:20 AM

78 posts, read 81,103 times
I guess I'm lucky. I went on 8 blind dates in about a two year span and found two that turned into something more than a friend relationship (one which turned into my current wife).

The $50 average date seems about right. The part I think will fluctuate more is the amount of dates. And if you don't succeed in finding somebody who likes you more than a friend within say 10-25 dates in a year it can be a blow to almost anybody's ego. Many will probably take a break from dating to heal their ego. I know it wasn't too fun when
I was on one said blind date and the girl said kind of randomly that she was gonna be busy washing clothes later on. I think I'd be happier if she just said straight out I don't think this is gonna work out but thanks for the lunch.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:16 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,921,102 times
I'll never understand why guys spend more than $20 on a first date. Virtually all of my first dates consists of meeting up at a decent bar and having drinks while chatting it up. I only introduce dinner after we've already been intimate and lunch is totally out of the question for a first or second date (this is a date with a woman I'd like to get intimate with, not my mother).

Spending a lot of money on a woman before you've slept with her should never be done. Of course, if you're waiting until marriage to have sex, none of what I said applies.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:30 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,354,876 times
My first date with DH (almost 32 years ago), didn't cost him a cent. He picked me up for tennis that morning, then came back to my house for my family's Memorial Day barbecue. He stayed all day, and that evening my aunt and uncle continued the festivities by bringing pizza. The date lasted 12 hours. We spent a lot of time playing tennis that summer (which was free), but he also took me to the movies and out to dinner. My favorite dates were when we had picnics at his place and went on hikes exploring the backroads and trails. He had a five acre place out in the country, and it was really undeveloped back then. What can I say, I was a cheap date.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 10-12-2011 at 03:41 AM..

Old 10-12-2011, 03:38 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,784,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
I'll never understand why guys spend more than $20 on a first date. Virtually all of my first dates consists of meeting up at a decent bar and having drinks while chatting it up. I only introduce dinner after we've already been intimate and lunch is totally out of the question for a first or second date (this is a date with a woman I'd like to get intimate with, not my mother).

Spending a lot of money on a woman before you've slept with her should never be done. Of course, if you're waiting until marriage to have sex, none of what I said applies.
Do you arrange those first dates to meet up at "Happy Hour"? So, someone who sleeps with you gets dinner?? Is that some kind of a reward?

How much do you spend for a dinner $25 (would that be for 2 or per person?) Then again, I don't think that's really an issue because you probably don't get to buy that many dinners.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:37 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,921,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Do you arrange those first dates to meet up at "Happy Hour"? So, someone who sleeps with you gets dinner?? Is that some kind of a reward?

How much do you spend for a dinner $25 (would that be for 2 or per person?) Then again, I don't think that's really an issue because you probably don't get to buy that many dinners.
I'm not sure what you're so upset about. The fact of the matter is that spending a lot of money is not required to get most women in bed and why would I spend a lot on a woman I barely know? Sure, I could take women out for a nice dinner in addition to the drinks on a first date, but most of the time, I'm just looking for sex anyway, so why spend more than necessary? If i'm interested in more than just sex, I'll spend more, but that's usually not the case. Don't get mad at me because your fellow women aren't all that demanding.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:38 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,113,364 times
I highly doubt that the "average" single man is going on 50 dates per year, it is probably a small fraction of that.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:41 AM

845 posts, read 1,349,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
My first date with DH (almost 32 years ago), didn't cost him a cent. He picked me up for tennis that morning, then came back to my house for my family's Memorial Day barbecue. He stayed all day, and that evening my aunt and uncle continued the festivities by bringing pizza. The date lasted 12 hours. We spent a lot of time playing tennis that summer (which was free), but he also took me to the movies and out to dinner. My favorite dates were when we had picnics at his place and went on hikes exploring the backroads and trails. He had a five acre place out in the country, and it was really undeveloped back then. What can I say, I was a cheap date.
I can't say my first date was making her dinner and then chatting for hours afterward. I wanted to do something special for her, which she had no other guy make her dinner, except parents. She still talks about that night, even though we just ate together and talked.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:14 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,214,288 times
How to know if she is down to earth and a keeper? she gets out one of those local entertainment guides with the coupons and picks out a buy one get one free activity .....

If you use your head, you can easily spend under the $50.00. In my area you can still do a dinner for two for under $30.00 bucks at a place with good ambiance and mood. It is very easy to hit $50.00 if you are a drinker.... Alternatives to saving there are taking a bottle of two buck chuck with you from trade joes and going to park/walk with the wine.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:21 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,300,531 times
At my college there was not much of a 'dating' scene. People got to know one another through classes, campus activities, parties, study groups, etc. so there was no real need to formalize anything by pairing up and going off somewhere to eat or do some activity. The equivalent of paying for dinner was saving her a spot in the cafeteria line while she hung up her coat.

I guess I did most of my 'dating' as a graduate student. I rarely spent more than $30 and when I did it was never a first date. I met my future wife during this period. We got married soon after graduate school so I have never experienced dating with any significant amount of disposable income.

On the other hand one of my best friends is a single guy, ex USAF, and a commercial airline pilot. He inherited a house and he has no debt obligations. Based on what I have seen, he probably drops an average of $300 per date almost every weekend night. He takes his girlfriends on tropical vacations if they stay together a month. I do not doubt that he spends 25K a year on dates and travel.

I suspect more people follow my pattern than his, but early-mid 30s single professionals are increasingly common, and I would suspect that they definitely skew the average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships