Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 12:21 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,743,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
And the second I want the same as you do,(Im a man) it's all of a sudden blasphemy.... What on Earth clicks in your mind to make you feel that such expectation (to be taken care of financially) is righteous or legitimate?? And women wonder why marriage is dead... Get a job.
Good heavens, for once I agree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 12:22 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,076,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'm curious...how many women on this Board would be okay with a "hunk" for a husband who (1) did not make a lot of money; (2) did not want to make a lot of money; and (3) did not have the credentials to make a lot of money (let's say he has a degree in art history and works as a docent in the local museum).

Let's also assume he's of above average intelligence. He's a good person and generally motivated when it comes to work. He just values work-life balance more than making the partnership, and as a consequence, he only makes $40,000 per year. For the most part, he's perfectly content with being an employee and not moving up the ladder to run the museum. He'd rather spend time with his family.

For purposes of this thread, let's assume that you, the woman, make around $250,000 per year, so money's not an issue. You come home one day and your hubby says, "You know, you're making a lot of money these days. I'm not. How about I just stay at home, pick up the kids, make dinner, and clean up the house?" Your husband also lifts weights every day and maintains a perfect six-pack. Basically, he'd be the male version of Betty Draper.

Would this be an acceptable arrangement for you? Do you think you'd be more attracted to your husband if he were more ambitious and gave the orders at work instead of taking them?
Nope, I wouldn't want that....not at all!
That's my role...that job has been filled and I do it well. He could never do it better and he has admitted to that. I'm thankful he and I are on the same page.

If that situation works for someone else....have fun with it. It's just not my cup of tea.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:29 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKLO View Post
Shoot, if I had kids....and I was married...this would be a dream...I think I could go for this as long as the man is actually contributing positively to the household i.e. picking up the kids, fixing dinner, going to PTA meetings, cleaning the house, etc....
Exactly. But you're forgetting one thing. He's FIIIIIIINE. You get to come home to a 6'2 dreamboat with a chiseled jaw, ripped abs, and bulging biceps. Wouldn't it be worth it knowing that you have a "dime piece" waiting at home for you every day?

Old 10-12-2011, 12:32 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,647,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
No Jefferson Darcy for me, thanks. I want to be taken care of financially, not the other way around.

Are you Peg Bundy, darlin?

Old 10-12-2011, 12:33 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
I may be wrong, but I get the idea that the women who would not be ok with this situation have or are stay at homes or have been taken care of financially and those who are ok with it, like myself, have not been in that situation and have worked during their marriage.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:36 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
No Jefferson Darcy for me, thanks. I want to be taken care of financially, not the other way around.

Hahahaha! Good one! I forgot all about Marcy Darcy...lol. The guy in my hypo doesn't read "Big Uns," though.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:36 PM

2,068 posts, read 4,338,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Sure. He doesn't have to be a hunk either. If I can make enough money for our family to comfortably live on one salary, then it's better for the kids to spend more time with a parent.
What book did you pick this up from?

Old 10-12-2011, 12:38 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,150,389 times
Been there done that and I am totally fine with it. Marriage is a partnership. Whether I make more money than he does matters not one bit.
If he gets home before I do, he picks up the place, makes dinner (well actually he makes dinner and cooks almost all the time) and I have almost always outearned him. We don't care.
We are a partnership.
He takes care of me and I take care of him. We both take care of the kids.
Sometimes I got to stay home with the babies while he worked sometimes during tough economic times he had to stay home with the kids while I went outside the home and earned a living.
It's called working together to make the marriage work.
He has been asked more than once if he minds that his wife has such a high paying job and he answered " Nope. I'm proud of her. I married a smart woman. "

Old 10-12-2011, 12:39 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,616,844 times
If I'm rich, he's hot as heck and takes care of all my non-financial needs, I might be ok with this arrangement...

Old 10-12-2011, 12:40 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Exactly. But you're forgetting one thing. He's FIIIIIIINE. You get to come home to a 6'2 dreamboat with a chiseled jaw, ripped abs, and bulging biceps. Wouldn't it be worth it knowing that you have a "dime piece" waiting at home for you every day?
Short of on funny cards, cartoons, and such, I'm yet to see such "pieces" cleaning houses, cooking, etc. Have you or are you talking hypothetically again? Because I don't know personally even one woman who makes 250K, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships